Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

Old May 31st 2018, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough
Default All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

• British people currently have extensive rights to live, work, and trade freely with the EU.
  • But at least some of these rights will definitely be lost after Brexit.
  • Theresa May is under pressure to opt for a softer form of Brexit to preserve as many of these rights as possible.
  • Here are some possible Brexit models and how they will affect the rights of UK citizens.
    All the EU rights British people could lose under each Brexit model - Business Insider
Old May 31st 2018, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the rights British people could lose after Brexit

I thought that was the point of Brexit wasn't it. The UK doesn't want EU citizens to have the right to live and work in the UK in the future. Reciprocally that has to mean that UK citizens no longer have that right either. And since the four freedoms are inseparable, if the UK refuses freedom of movement then it also excludes itself from the other freedoms too.

The UK voted to lose those freedoms, so why is it now making such a fuss about it?

I don't know what the table means by "voting and political rights" but EU citizens in France certainly don't have the right to vote in national elections. In fact I'm not terribly impressed by the article at all, either it is trying to oversimplify, or its own understanding is confused, or it has an Agenda. For instance, according to the chart the EU model offers an unconditional right to reside while the Norway and Switzerland models offer the right to work but not the right to reside - WTF? how can you work there if you can't live there? and since when did any EU citizens have an unconditional right to reside regardless of status? that is not what the Directive says.
Old May 31st 2018, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the official UK government's view on where things stand:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...nals-in-the-eu

I think it is important for those Brits who want to continue to reside in Spain to ensure all the current requirements are fully met ie residencia, paying income tax, etc.
Old May 31st 2018, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I thought that was the point of Brexit wasn't it. The UK doesn't want EU citizens to have the right to live and work in the UK in the future. Reciprocally that has to mean that UK citizens no longer have that right either. And since the four freedoms are inseparable, if the UK refuses freedom of movement then it also excludes itself from the other freedoms too.

The UK voted to lose those freedoms, so why is it now making such a fuss about it?

I don't know what the table means by "voting and political rights" but EU citizens in France certainly don't have the right to vote in national elections. In fact I'm not terribly impressed by the article at all, either it is trying to oversimplify, or its own understanding is confused, or it has an Agenda. For instance, according to the chart the EU model offers an unconditional right to reside while the Norway and Switzerland models offer the right to work but not the right to reside - WTF? how can you work there if you can't live there? and since when did any EU citizens have an unconditional right to reside regardless of status? that is not what the Directive says.
I'm surprised they haven't shown the Jersey option, as it will probably end up being like Jersey. People from other EU countries can work and live on the island, but with some restrictions https://www.gov.je/Working/Contribut...ialstatus.aspx, while people with a Jersey passport, don't have the EU freedom of movement rights, so will need a visa etc. to work and live abroad.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Actually less than 33% of the population (52% of those who voted) voted to lose the EU rights. And I'm not too sure how many actually realised what rights and benefits being in the EU delivered. We would need another vote when all the facts/agreements are known to be sure that what you say is actually a majority choice or just a vocal minority.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Actually less than 33% of the population (52% of those who voted) voted to lose the EU rights. And I'm not too sure how many actually realised what rights and benefits being in the EU delivered. We would need another vote when all the facts/agreements are known to be sure that what you say is actually a majority choice or just a vocal minority.
I totally agree with all of that. Unfortunately, the government (such as it is) insists on proceeding on the basis that the People voted to leave the EU. The fact that only a minority voted for this, and probably most of those didn't understand what they were voting for, is something that the government seems determined to ignore. And if our government is refusing to acknowledge it, I don't see how they can reasonably expect the EU to factor it into negotiations.

Re the UK government link, as I just posted on the French board where this has also come up:
Or you can go to the EU website and get basically the same info without the tosh about TM being clear (because transparent is one thing she is not) and all the "we have delivered our commitment" bollocks.
https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/s...ghts/Brexit_en
Old May 31st 2018, 11:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If a minority voted to leave then an even smaller minority voted to remain. Out of an electorate of 46.5 million, 17.4 million (37.4%) voted to leave, 16.1 million (34.6%) voted to remain and 12.9 million (27.7%) didn't vote.
Old May 31st 2018, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Very few, my friendly next door EU country denied me them.
Old May 31st 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that could change is the rates of tax that UK non Spanish residents pay on income, capital gains, inheritance tax etc, for example a none eea area national pays 24% rather than 19% income tax
Old May 31st 2018, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Very few, my friendly next door EU country denied me them.
Would you care to elucidate?
Old May 31st 2018, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Here is the official UK government's view on where things stand:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...nals-in-the-eu

I think it is important for those Brits who want to continue to reside in Spain to ensure all the current requirements are fully met ie residencia, paying income tax, etc.
I have lived here for 5 years now, and have jumped through the hoops which are filled with banana skins regarding paperwork etc. What surprises me are the number of my friends who have been here much longer than me, and who have suddenly started to panic and rush around trying to get residencia, S1 medical, and tax forms which they have clearly not bothered with until now.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

👍👍👍 good post mike it can’t be stated often enough that the futures being determined by a minority vote driven by a small coterie of rich right wing fanatics in Parliament led by JRM. When the chickens roost they are to rich to be affected or already have their right to reside in other EU States. See lord Lamont has moved to get residence at his villa in France.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If a minority voted to leave then an even smaller minority voted to remain. Out of an electorate of 46.5 million, 17.4 million (37.4%) voted to leave, 16.1 million (34.6%) voted to remain and 12.9 million (27.7%) didn't vote.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say: that those who voted one way or another were a minority and as such the results should be questioned?
Well, my view is this: everybody knew an important vote was happening, so everybody who wanted to vote voted.
I'm sick and tired of all this crap of "we didn't know, we were misinformed", etc. Let's face it: the people voted and those were the results, like it or not.
Now we have to deal with it. All of us.

Last edited by minouette; May 31st 2018 at 8:21 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minouette
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say: that those who voted one way or another were a minority and as such the results should be questioned?
Well, my view is this: everybody knew an important vote was happening, so everybody who wanted to vote voted.
I'm sick and tired of all this crap of "we didn't know, we were misinformed", etc. Let's face it: the people voted and those were the results, like it or not.
Now we have to deal with it. All of us.
I'm questioning the mindset of "Oh, well less a minority of the electorate voted to leave so we shouldn't leave". I agreed with you, it's BS.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand why the Brexiteers are so frightened of a confirmatory vote. After all, if they are right then they will get an overwhelming majority. Can it be that they fear that good sense might at last prevail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.