Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
<Sigh> ..... no .... no it hasnt.
Thats also a common comment from people who have no experience of public sector working
I worked in the 'Public Sector' all my working life, and yes I've got a good pension out of it, but you do have to contribute to thaqt, you pay extra apart from the Nat Ins contributions and tax, and to do my job I had to work all hours, when I started it wasn the norm to have to work a full weekend 'on call' when you didn't know how much, if any sleep you would get, It was only in the last few years of my working life that we got the following day off for being 'on call' and that was because the EU working time directive forced them to do it. Yes we got paid, but it was only through that that I could afford a mortgage, and for most people it wasn't voluntary, it was part of your contract. Before they were forced to give us the next day off due to the working tiome directive it wasn't unusual to do a normal 8 hour shift, then to be 'on call' till the start of the next working day, (usually you got between on and two hours where you weren't actually working and could try and get something to eat or a few minutes sleep) and then work a full shift the following day. The work we were doing was doing blood tests to help doctors diagnose and treat patients, including preparing blood transfusions, I think it was amazing that mistakes weren't made under those circumstances.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Well that really shows how much you know about public sector pay doesn't it. Everyone is focused on the top jobs. The rank and file don't necessarily get good pay and one of the reasons they stand for that is because of the pension. When my wife left public service she earned just over £11k a year. Would you have settled for such a crap wage for a full time job

I know of Civil servants right now that are stressed to the hilt just like everyone else is. Worried about their jobs, not earning particularly good wages, derided by the uninformed, and now having their pensions fiddled with

Jeremy Clarkson? I like top gear, but he is always saying stupid things and always seems to get away with it.

No but millions do in the private sector and with no pension scheme either, as for fiddling with pensions they are still on a very very good thing , it the private sector pension payments are relative to whats put in the pot and the economy at the time of paying out , plus civil servant pension funds don't go bust.Knowing civil servants incomes at many levels I`d say they are paid around 35% more than they would get in the real world .
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 1:07 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evamar

Comparing to private workers such as myself, I got a s**tty salary and a s**tty pension without my employer putting any extra money on my pension.

I think I would prefer being a civil servant in the UK and definitely a funcionario in Spain!
Not so good for funcionarios in Spain right now. Some have had salary cuts. Many Ayuntamientos have not paid their salaries for 2 months or more!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
No but millions do in the private sector and with no pension scheme either, as for fiddling with pensions they are still on a very very good thing , it the private sector pension payments are relative to whats put in the pot and the economy at the time of paying out , plus civil servant pension funds don't go bust.Knowing civil servants incomes at many levels I`d say they are paid around 35% more than they would get in the real world .
Not too many jobs outside of the public sector where pensions have been subsidsed at these rates.

Teachers currently pay in 6.4%, but the government puts in more than double this, at 14.1%; NHS workers pay a maximum of 8.5% and the government 14%. The gap is even more extreme in the civil service, where employees pay up to 5% and the government an astonishing 19%
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:58 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Not too many jobs outside of the public sector where pensions have been subsidsed at these rates.
Hmm, nice work if you can get it.

Meanwhile in many areas of Spain, such cushy job numbers have continued to increase until fairly recently.
Jobs for the boys, friends and family perhaps, who were feeling the pinch elsewhere.
For many years the civil servant salaries in Spain has grown faster than that of the economy as a whole.
Salary costs for public employees in Spain is above the average of OECDs countries.
The civil servants' working day in Spain is the shortest in the EU.
I recall reading several articles about those in the know with the right connections being signed up and receiving salaries for two or more jobs even though they only ever attended to one.
To what extent the practice still continues I've no idea.
Once again nice work if you can get it.

It's little wonder they hardly get anything done. Shortest hours in Europe and almost half of those are spent in the local bar.
It may be expected that the purpose of funcionarios is to get things to function, however you could be forgiven for thinking the exact opposite is the case in Spain.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Dec 2nd 2011 at 3:04 am. Reason: addon
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

<Sigh> ..... no .... no it hasnt.
Thats also a common comment from people who have no experience of public sector working

I have mixed views on the Mitzy, firstly I am jealous as are a lot people in the private sector because i can't provide for myself or my staff the kind of pension I would love them to have. Maybe I should put the Beer up 50p a pint and provide everyone with a pension. I would be happy to do this if the customer was happy to pay. What do you think? Would you support a pub that charged 50p a pint more than next door because you knew the staff were getting a pension. Or would you be like millions of others and opt to pay the lower price next door.
Secondly I am grateful for public sector pensions because it seems to me that these people really keep the economy going for a lot of businesses. Just today I have had a party of 17 retired Headteachers in for lunch, I am grateful to them for the businesses. What I have seen is a drop in the number of elderly people I used to see regulary who have saved hard all their lives and now get a pittance in interest on their savings.

Public sector pensions are the envy of most people, fine when their pay was low but now they enjoy parity and more in a lot of cases than the private sector.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:21 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC have received over 20,000 complaints, most in a delayed timeframe, about the comments made by Mass Murderer Clarkson... Seriously, any one taking his comments as gospel or as something he actually advocates should be taken outside and shot in front of their families.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:33 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The BBC have received over 20,000 complaints, most in a delayed timeframe, about the comments made by Mass Murderer Clarkson... Seriously, any one taking his comments as gospel or as something he actually advocates should be taken outside and shot in front of their families.
Brilliant
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:42 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Apparently 19,999 of these were from striking public sector workers.
The other one was from the secretary of the let's shoot Clarkson fan club.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:16 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

And like so many things that complained about, it makes you wonder how many actually watched the programme and comment, and how many are just (DM readers) jumping on the complaining bandwagon....