Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Originally Posted by jimenato
The whole thing's pathetic. Some people have obviously had a sense of humour bypass. Not that it was particularly funny. If anything he should be done for not being very funny.
Have to agree with you, I watched the program and it obviously was said tongue in cheek!
The problem isn't what Clarkson said, it's that some people have a sense of humour deficit, they take themselves way too seriously and need to get over themselves!

I tend to agree with him about the strikers!
I worked for local government, was not on a huge salary and now don't have a huge pension but.....
Being a public sector pension it's at least guaranteed, not many these days are lucky enough to be able to say that.
So IMO they should think themselves lucky, especially those amongst them that will receive a pension that is larger than many earn as a wage.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:52 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

This discussion reminds me of one of the many reasons why I love living in this country. In the Valencian community they have their 'nit de foc' when they burn effigies of famous people they want to take the piss out of.

I'm sure that strikers would be up there if applicable and they would be 'executed' to loud cheers from the local populace.

Let's have a bit of irreverence towards some of our bigger fools in the UK; like that fat Bob something who calls out the underground drivers whenever he feels like it.

I don't agree that he should be shot, that's far too good for him, he should be hung, drawn and quartered.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was very lucky to have a decent upbringing by two parents who taught me how to respect other people, it now appears to be somewhat lacking in the UK and other forms of discussion. Yes I am probably an old fart who needs to be put down but I read trash about fools such as clarkson, brand and ross and realise that most will back them because they are celebrities, it forgives everything these days.
I am afraid that we have lost that ability to respect, the evidence is everywhere and " oh he was just being funny" is a pathetic excuse not a reason.

Graham
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I was very lucky to have a decent upbringing by two parents who taught me how to respect other people, it now appears to be somewhat lacking in the UK and other forms of discussion. Yes I am probably an old fart who needs to be put down but I read trash about fools such as clarkson, brand and ross and realise that most will back them because they are celebrities, it forgives everything these days.
I am afraid that we have lost that ability to respect, the evidence is everywhere and " oh he was just being funny" is a pathetic excuse not a reason.

Graham
It's definitely time we had a Nit de Foc in the UK, then we could all enjoy getting the eejits out of our system for one night in the year at least.

At the minute it's only poor old Guy Fawkes who gets his arse burned.

I would happily allow Clarkson, Brand and Ross to join the strikers on top of the biggest bonfire of all time.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:42 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
All this PC stuff is getting really silly now, any idiot could figure it was all tongue in cheek.

I can see one day the people in prison will be discussing what they are in for and it will be for things like calling someone a retard, complaining they have Kosovan foreigners next door...or even worse saying the Unions are assholes. Meanwhile the streets will be full of muggers and rapists and benefit cheats
scary but true, just by reading the papers (online won't line their pockets ) it frightens me to see the decline of values in society
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:35 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It's definitely time we had a Nit de Foc in the UK, then we could all enjoy getting the eejits out of our system for one night in the year at least.

At the minute it's only poor old Guy Fawkes who gets his arse burned.

I would happily allow Clarkson, Brand and Ross to join the strikers on top of the biggest bonfire of all time.
I'm a happy-go-lucky fellow and enjoy life, and don't hate anyone, but I agree that a 'nit de foc' would go down a treat in the UK.

My suggestions for burning would be William Hague, Tony Blair, Gary Glitter and Prince Andrew. It's a pretty short list, but I really can't think of anyone else.

I've stopped typing to reconsider, but no, that's my list for the bonfire.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone see the Labour MP on Channel 4 news saying how disgraceful it was and that Clarkson should apologise to all the children who went to bed last night with images of their parents being executed. I kid you not.

Clarkson was built up by Farmer Baker and the Welsh Bird to be as controversial as possible, that's what they wanted and that's what they got, then they both looked mortified. It was clearly intended to be a wind up. That silly woman from Unison going on about hate crimes, I ask you.

The public sector has had easy enough for long enough, payback time.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:53 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy

The public sector has had easy enough for long enough, payback time.
<Sigh> ..... no .... no it hasnt.
Thats also a common comment from people who have no experience of public sector working
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Graham
I think you are wrong there, personally I don't like any of them and wouldn't normally stand up for Clarkson, but for goodness sake why can some people not see that his comments were said with a twinkle in his eye and tongue in cheek.

I find it outrageous that there is all this fuss about nothing and people actually complained to the BBC!

Why don't these people put their energy into complaining about some of the really bad things that are shown on TV in the UK instead of picking on a comment made in jest?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Why don't these people put their energy into complaining about some of the really bad things that are shown on TV in the UK instead of picking on a comment made in jest?
Yeah .... like Eastenders, Emmerdale Farm and Coronation Street!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yeah .... like Eastenders, Emmerdale Farm and Coronation Street!
They would do for starters!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

The most worrying thing about this is the slow invidious process which is trying to control what people say and think. Where will it end? This episode reminds me of the "kings new clothes" story - nobody dares say what they think.

I have a son who has always worked hard in the private sector - he can only dream of an inflation proofed pension. Even fairly lowly paid public sector workers will get an inflation proofed pension which would cost an enormous amount to buy.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:55 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Some BINT on Jeremy Vine actually called him a mass murderer! Over reaction? Nah, surely not. At one point I thought the caller might have been one of the BE lot but it turned out that she wrote for the Daily Mail... should have known really eh?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
The most worrying thing about this is the slow invidious process which is trying to control what people say and think. Where will it end? This episode reminds me of the "kings new clothes" story - nobody dares say what they think.

I have a son who has always worked hard in the private sector - he can only dream of an inflation proofed pension. Even fairly lowly paid public sector workers will get an inflation proofed pension which would cost an enormous amount to buy.
and if your son should be TUPE'd any company pension scheme will be closed and he will end up on a paltry minimal pension scheme.
however, if he were in the public sector then their rules for TUPE are that the gold plated pension scheme must be taken over by the contracting company. This puts a high load on the cost of the contract and no real savings to the public purse.

it used to be said that their pension scheme, and early retirement, was to make up for the poor salary and working conditions. none of that is true nowadays, except for those who are working in NMW positions.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:00 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Not really sure, as I can only repeat what I heard others... so please excuse my ignorance if I got it wrong.

For what I understand, civil servants might not have a huge salary, but they got extremely good and protected pensions. Then they increased their salaries but also stopped those deals with new pensions. Now salaries are frozen while many private salaries are being reduced or simply dissappearing.

To me that seems to mean that they got the best on both worlds: salaries and pensions...

Comparing to private workers such as myself, I got a s**tty salary and a s**tty pension without my employer putting any extra money on my pension.

I think I would prefer being a civil servant in the UK and definitely a funcionario in Spain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.