Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:43 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Oh heck

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16121698

Unison has said it is taking urgent legal advice over "appalling" comments made by TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson about striking public sector workers.

Speaking on The One Show on the BBC last night, the Top Gear presenter said people protesting about pension reforms should be "shot".

He added: "I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

Unison, which represents more than one million public sector workers, has called on the corporation to sack Clarkson.

The union said it was also considering whether the comments should be referred to the police.

Last edited by anonimouse; Dec 1st 2011 at 12:50 am.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

Clarkson is a clown and everyone knows it ,but he should be able to say what he thinks surely ? I think most public sector workers are over paid greedy **ckers who dont live in the real world .....er am I allowed to think that?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:39 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I know that times are hard, but I fear we are all losing our sense of humour. I saw that Unison woman on the news and she looks as though she has never laughed or even smiled at anything all of her life, and life has repaid her in kind.

How could anyone be offended by what Clarkson said? He's a satirist, pure and simple, that's why millions of people like his shows. Political correctness is going through the roof at the moment, it would not surprise me if they banned Lady Chatterley's Lover all over again.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Clarkson talking sense for once ?

I don't believe it.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There are prats and there are bigger prats but clarkson is probably the king of prats and anyone who thinks that it is acceptable for some so called celebrity to state that strikers should be taken out and excecuted in front of their families should really look to their own rather dubious outlook on life.

Graham
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I thought having him on a show like 'The One Show' was a bit of a risk, they had to apologise before the end of the programme over some comments he made about Reading trains always being late because of people jumping in front of the train, he said they should just carry on and clean it up later.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Clarkson is a clown and everyone knows it ,but he should be able to say what he thinks surely ? I think most public sector workers are over paid greedy **ckers who dont live in the real world .....er am I allowed to think that?

Well that really shows how much you know about public sector pay doesn't it. Everyone is focused on the top jobs. The rank and file don't necessarily get good pay and one of the reasons they stand for that is because of the pension. When my wife left public service she earned just over £11k a year. Would you have settled for such a crap wage for a full time job

I know of Civil servants right now that are stressed to the hilt just like everyone else is. Worried about their jobs, not earning particularly good wages, derided by the uninformed, and now having their pensions fiddled with

Jeremy Clarkson? I like top gear, but he is always saying stupid things and always seems to get away with it.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Jeremy Clarkson? I like top gear, but he is always saying stupid things and always seems to get away with it.
He gets away with it because he says incredibly stupid things or exaggerates to such a colossal degree that no one with a grain of intelligence would ever take his utterings seriously.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:38 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that One show last night.
They were talking about the strikes, and said what they were for, and JC sid something along the lines of "well we are the bbc and we have to be impartial, so we must offer an alternative opionin and so ....(lets shoot them)".

but strangely all the media are not showing the beginning of the interview, just those selected comments.....

Strange how the focus is on the stike comments, not about what he said about his trains being late and people "exploding" by jumping in front of trains....
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:39 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

When you consider all the horrid things happening in the World and stop to put things into perspective this rates pretty low in the scheme of things. Personally I don't care what tv celebs say or think and certainly wouldn't waste any time or effort phoning the tv company to complain. I find it incredible to think that so many people took what he said as serious, everyone needs to lighten up
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

His comments were silly (they were meant to be!) but not as silly as anyone taking them seriously. Have you ever said "I'll kill him or her....." - everyone knew you didn't mean it. Should you have been charged with conspiracy to murder?? Don't forget our fathers (well mine anyway) fought to keep our freedoms, including freedom of speech, we shouldn't throw them away too lightly.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:06 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC has released the full transcript of Jeremy Clarkson's One Show interview, which the BBC says shows the wider context of his remarks.

Matt Baker: Now, at the end of a day where Britain has seen some of its biggest strikes, what we need is someone calm and level-headed.

Alex Jones: Yep, a guest with balanced, uncontroversial opinions, who makes great effort not to offend.

Matt Baker: And we've got Jeremy Clarkson!

[studio laughs]

Jeremy Clarkson: Thank you very much.

Matt Baker: So Jeremy, schools, hospitals, airports, even driving tests have been affected. Do you the strikes are a good idea?

Jeremy Clarkson: It's been fantastic. Seriously, never had … London today has just been empty. Everybody stayed at home, you could whizz about, your restaurants were empty.

Alex Jones: The traffic actually has been very good today.

Jeremy Clarkson: Very light. Now airports, you know, people streaming through with no problems at all and it's also like being back in the 70s, it makes me feel at home somehow.

Alex Jones: Do you know anybody who …

Matt Baker: [interrupts – inaduiable] – being on strike today?

Jeremy Clarkson: What, in public service? Of course I don't. No, absolutely. We have to balance it though, don't we because this is the BBC.

Alex Jones and Matt Baker: Exactly.

Jeremy Clarkson: Frankly, I'd have them all shot!

[studio laughs]

Jeremy Clarkson: I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families. I mean how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?

Matt Baker: Well, on that note of balancing an opinion of course those are Jeremy's views.

Jeremy Clarkson: I just … ! I was just giving two views for you!

And which part is being played out today...

Jeremy Clarkson: I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families. I mean how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?

Slight difference if you see the whole picture and not just a 5 second snippet of what he said...

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 1st 2011 at 4:25 am.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:32 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing's pathetic. Some people have obviously had a sense of humour bypass. Not that it was particularly funny. If anything he should be done for not being very funny.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:59 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

All this PC stuff is getting really silly now, any idiot could figure it was all tongue in cheek.

I can see one day the people in prison will be discussing what they are in for and it will be for things like calling someone a retard, complaining they have Kosovan foreigners next door...or even worse saying the Unions are assholes. Meanwhile the streets will be full of muggers and rapists and benefit cheats
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:34 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it has helped in the promotion of his new dvd or ruined it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.