Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Of all the places in all the world.......

Of all the places in all the world.......

Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of all the places in all the world.......

Originally Posted by pathway
The North of Spain is still pretty unspoilt. Sea an d mountains and green meadows. Great food and good people. Very different from the urban madness that is the South. Also, we have bagpipers and cider up here. I will never live anywhere else.
A topic and a legend really absurd, because there are beautiful places anywhere in all Spain, not only in northern. In southern Spain, I could put to you many exemples like Extremadura, Calblanque or Espuña mountains in Murcia, the Alpujarras of Granada or the Cazorla Natural Park, in Jaen. As for gastronomy, exactly the same

and as for people, I say the same thing. You don't have gone door to door to know how exactly is each person. I think than you make a very bold and absurd generalization

Calblanque

Last edited by Relampago; Apr 20th 2011 at 8:58 am.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:25 am
Just Joined

pathway is an unknown quantity at this point

It´s a very diverse palce. You can find hot, cold , freezing and mild. It rallt is like a small continent.
I love travelling to Northwest Aragon in tne winter to see the snow and experience an almost Siberian climate, and then go down to Valencia in te spring, where it is already hot.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:50 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pathway
It´s a very diverse palce. You can find hot, cold , freezing and mild. It rallt is like a small continent.
I love travelling to Northwest Aragon in tne winter to see the snow and experience an almost Siberian climate, and then go down to Valencia in te spring, where it is already hot.
Exactly, as I travelled across Aragon on my way back from the UK ten wks ago, the temperature was around zero with light snowfall almost all the way, until I dropped down into Valencia to be greeted by a pleasant 20c.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Exactly, as I travelled across Aragon on my way back from the UK ten wks ago, the temperature was around zero with light snowfall almost all the way, until I dropped down into Valencia to be greeted by a pleasant 20c.
It's a different world when you travel from built-up Valencia to rural Aragon. I remember one August going from a balmy Valencia to a village near Teruel. It was hot enough in the day time, around 27C or so, but as soon as the sun dropped so did the ambient temperature. The minimum of 8C may not sound dramatically cold, but compared to the 18C minimum on the coast it certainly felt that way.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's a different world when you travel from built-up Valencia to rural Aragon. I remember one August going from a balmy Valencia to a village near Teruel. It was hot enough in the day time, around 27C or so, but as soon as the sun dropped so did the ambient temperature. The minimum of 8C may not sound dramatically cold, but compared to the 18C minimum on the coast it certainly felt that way.
I was in Teruel on Monday and Tuesday, it was lovely and sunny .... got back here and it was rainy and cold
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I was in Teruel on Monday and Tuesday, it was lovely and sunny .... got back here and it was rainy and cold
Nice to know that at least some one visits Spains forgotten city.
They used to complain endlessly that the rest of Spain wasn't aware that they even existed, and that was before they were by-passed with the new road,so I imagine they're even more forgotten now.
I've certainly never been tempted to stop off there myself since the new motorway was completed, not even for fuel or tapas.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to know that at least some one visits Spains forgotten city.
They used to complain endlessly that the rest of Spain wasn't aware that they even existed, and that was before they were by-passed with the new road,so I imagine they're even more forgotten now.
I've certainly never been tempted to stop off there myself since the new motorway was completed, not even for fuel or tapas.
You dont know what you are missing :-) We went to Albaraccin as well, which is nearby. Not an English voice heard for the whole time we were there

I'll post some pics when I have processed them
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You dont know what you are missing :-) We went to Albaraccin as well, which is nearby. Not an English voice heard for the whole time we were there

Cannot remember when I last heard an English voice, probably be last December when the nurses asked me to translate for a woman in the hospital.

Rosemary
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:24 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you do we enjoy your photos.

Graham
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:20 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Cannot remember when I last heard an English voice, probably be last December when the nurses asked me to translate for a woman in the hospital.

Rosemary
You must be well inland or else on a remote mountain top.
Most of the villages in the area have at least a sprinkling of expats.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:26 am
On the road again.

There used to be a few interesting towns and villages on the old route, however I found the countryside a bit bleak up that way and often wondered how the poor sods used to survive in years gone by.

I never took much notice of Teruel itself when passing through,maybe because it was close to the end of a long trip or too close to the beginning to waste time.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:48 am

You must be well inland or else on a remote mountain top.
Most of the villages in the area have at least a sprinkling of expats.
Not well inland, not on a mountain, live in a small town, no other Brits, think some live on the mountain but do not know them.

Rosemary
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:46 pm
Senior Moment

There used to be a few interesting towns and villages on the old route, however I found the countryside a bit bleak up that way and often wondered how the poor sods used to survive in years gone by.

I never took much notice of Teruel itself when passing through,maybe because it was close to the end of a long trip or too close to the beginning to waste time.

Blimey .... now I know you are missing something and am definately going to post pics to show you what you are missing ..... bleak countryside

Strangely though, the number of places I have passed without bothering to visit ... and then years later found that they are lovely places well worth a visit ........ I have found some gems by just veering off the main road a few kms
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:00 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey .... now I know you are missing something and am definately going to post pics to show you what you are missing ..... bleak countryside

Strangely though, the number of places I have passed without bothering to visit ... and then years later found that they are lovely places well worth a visit ........ I have found some gems by just veering off the main road a few kms
Your driving hasn't improved any then?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:34 pm
On the road again.

Yes, bleak.
Very much so, compared with my own area here, all of the Northern regions, Extremadura and much of Andalucia away from the coast.
Compared to those areas its very much lacking in natural vegetation and certainly not the pleasantest place to be during the Winter months,nor in mid-Summer I would imagine.
For that reason I have never been tempted to venture far of the beaten track as I normally do in those other places, where I have come across some hidden gems almost forgotten in time, at the end of tiny dirt tracks.
I agree there are some interesting villages and ancient buildings up there and I often wonder how they managed to construct them, let alone survive in such a God forsaken area.
I don't here of many expats saying how nice it is to live up there either, if there are any at all.
Would you fancy living up there ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.