Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Of all the places in all the world.......

Of all the places in all the world.......

Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of all the places in all the world.......

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Much more pleasurable than working in the garden at 40c plus.
Now that really is masochistic !

Never had a day when there wasn't at least a break for a pleasant walk in the UK last Winter.
Now putting aside the wet and windy winter days in Spain, I would likely be a prisoner in my own house if I stayed through mid-summer.

UK is a temperate climate, much of Spain is definitely not, and overall suffers from more extremes than the UK.
Oh yes, the UK has a very temperate climate. It reminds me of the banquet planned. No chilli, because some people don't like that, no salt ditto, and so on with everything that someone might dislike is removed. The result is a meal that offends no-one, but equally delights no-one.

Yeah, it's hot here. I don't garden non stop at those temps. I pause, sit in the shade and have a cool drink. I do a lot of watering, it has to be said, but then, my geraniums are a mass of colour right now.

Back in the UK, every day in the summer I had to go and check them all, and remove any fallen petals lest they set fungus eating into the leaves.

You can't stand a lot of sunshine? What are you doing in Spain? Can't stand grey skies? Get the f'ck out of the UK like I did.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I came to Spain for the same reason as most other people and it doesn’t need repeating (too often). I was interested in a couple of posters saying that they didn’t like Scotland, despite its outstanding scenery.

If Scotland had the Costa Blanca climate, then that’s where I would be now. If London had the Costa Blanca climate . . . , if Essex and Suffolk . . . . The only other stipulation would be that it had a few Spanish people as well, in fact, quite a lot of them.
Quite a few Spanish in London now; not all of them taking holidays either.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

lemon_drizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Scotland is not wetter than England and actually does not vary that much in temperature. Obviously there are also many other reasons why living in Scotland would be preferable, stunning scenery, less people, free university, free prescriptions, etc. Lol sorry I am a bit biased. If I go to the UK it will be to Scotland.

I expect Spain will be cold in the winter there are not too many places, except in the tropics that stay warm all year round. I have never really disliked the UK or wanted to move just to get away from the UK. The UK is great in many ways. I do love warm weather though.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:20 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lemon_drizzle
Scotland is not wetter than England and actually does not vary that much in temperature. Obviously there are also many other reasons why living in Scotland would be preferable, stunning scenery, less people, free university, free prescriptions, etc. Lol sorry I am a bit biased. If I go to the UK it will be to Scotland.

I expect Spain will be cold in the winter there are not too many places, except in the tropics that stay warm all year round. I have never really disliked the UK or wanted to move just to get away from the UK. The UK is great in many ways. I do love warm weather though.
So the fact that it's the north of Britain makes no difference? Are you sure?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The weather station not far from where I used to live in Dartmoor registered nearly 2 meters of rain the first year we moved there.. now thats rain, stop yer bleating you lot and enjoy the sun...
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:31 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The weather station not far from where I used to live in Dartmoor registered nearly 2 meters of rain the first year we moved there.. now thats rain, stop yer bleating you lot and enjoy the sun...
Trust me, you have no idea just how much I do.

I go out into the garden sometimes, just stand there and feel it pouring over me like warm, golden syrup......
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:34 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
So the fact that it's the north of Britain makes no difference? Are you sure?

Well it cant be that cold in Scotland, coz all the men wear skirts and no gayumbos.......or so I have been told
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
pouring over me like warm, golden syrup......
Sometimes I worry about you mate!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I worry about you mate!
Apparently it has been known for too much Sun to cause delirium.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Oh yes, the UK has a very temperate climate. It reminds me of the banquet planned. No chilli, because some people don't like that, no salt ditto, and so on with everything that someone might dislike is removed. The result is a meal that offends no-one, but equally delights no-one.

Yeah, it's hot here. I don't garden non stop at those temps. I pause, sit in the shade and have a cool drink. I do a lot of watering, it has to be said, but then, my geraniums are a mass of colour right now.

Back in the UK, every day in the summer I had to go and check them all, and remove any fallen petals lest they set fungus eating into the leaves.

You can't stand a lot of sunshine? What are you doing in Spain? Can't stand grey skies? Get the f'ck out of the UK like I did.
Ain't it just grand?
I do just the same, it's very enjoyable in the heat of the day to sit in the shade with a cool drink looking at the blue sky.
If I do need to do anything to the garden then it's done either early morning or in the evening when it's cooled down. Having just installed an irrigation system my time spent watering has now been reduced, leaving me even more time for relaxing on the terrace.

I used to feel quite down in England when we got day after day of grey sky and grim weather, here the sun makes everyone come alive makes them smile and of course more friendly.
We went to the spring today to get water(it's much better than from the tap), we had conversations with four other Spanish people there, back in England people would have looked at you as if you were mad if you spoke to them.....must be the sunshine here that makes the difference.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:49 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by megmet
Ain't it just grand?
I do just the same, it's very enjoyable in the heat of the day to sit in the shade with a cool drink looking at the blue sky.
If I do need to do anything to the garden then it's done either early morning or in the evening when it's cooled down. Having just installed an irrigation system my time spent watering has now been reduced, leaving me even more time for relaxing on the terrace.

I used to feel quite down in England when we got day after day of grey sky and grim weather, here the sun makes everyone come alive makes them smile and of course more friendly.
We went to the spring today to get water(it's much better than from the tap), we had conversations with four other Spanish people there, back in England people would have looked at you as if you were mad if you spoke to them.....must be the sunshine here that makes the difference.

Are you sure? Only Dick and Aggie keep telling me it's a living hell in Spain......

He he he.... yeah, sunshine. It just makes everything that bit better, .. except possibly heatstroke...ahaha.. I slay me.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Are you sure? Only Dick and Aggie keep telling me it's a living hell in Spain......

He he he.... yeah, sunshine. It just makes everything that bit better, .. except possibly heatstroke...ahaha.. I slay me.
Yes I'm very sure!
The climate isn't perfect (where is), but in England in April I'd have the central heating on and I'd be sat in jeans and jumpers, while here at one thirty in the morning I've the door and windows open and I'm wearing shorts......if this is hell then give me more.
We are having a BBQ on Sunday and I'm pretty sure the sun will be shining, in England you can't even plan that half a day before.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Pfffft, we had that in one night a couple of months ago.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Oh there have been a couple of people claiming it is wonderful there. I'm pretty sure you have been rather fulsome in your praises for it.
Well I certainly have over 7,000 photos of my area on the net, taken throughout the whole year and I'd say over 95% of them are taken on good sunny days. So whilst it's nowhere near sunny all the time, there are loads of days where there is plenty of good weather about.

I actually said, if it is so good why do so many people flee to Spain quoting weather as a major reason?
For better weather! Perhaps they all came from Cambridgeshire! However the weather alone is not enough to keep them all there, despite knowing all about the foul UK weather, thousands return.
Yeah, PS it is the reverse here. Loadsa sun.
As I said before, my visits to Vejer area probably go back further than yours, around 20 years, so I know about Vejer weather, both good and bad.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
You´re prone to huge exaggerations, I guess that reflects the weakness of your argument. Of course, neither of us has said anything of the sort, but if you feel the need to lie to enhance you argument, carry on. Our opinions simply are different to your rose coloured opinions, and we point out the bits you omit. Probably both of our experiences of Spain go back further than yours, you´re preaching to the converted, you´re telling us nothing new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.