Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Of all the places in all the world.......

Of all the places in all the world.......

Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:46 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of all the places in all the world.......

Now Scotland is a place where I would never live

Bil we are back right now, think I mentioned that we sold the villa (nearly as good as winning the lottery) Fortunately if we change our mind we could probably buy one similar for 30%less. Was in marbella last month tying up some loose ends....it rained for 4 days out of 5!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Bil we are back right now, think I mentioned that we sold the villa (nearly as good as winning the lottery) Fortunately if we change our mind we could probably buy one similar for 30%less. Was in marbella last month tying up some loose ends....it rained for 4 days out of 5!
Good for you. Hope you enjoy the UK more than Spain. Only 4 days of rain in Spain? Don't worry, you'll get far more in the UK!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:57 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Now, I gotta agree with that quote, beautiful as it may be there.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

If the Uk climate is so frigging fabulous, why is it that so many Brits fleeing to Spain list the weather as a major factor?
Unless I missed a post somewhere, I'm only aware of you saying it's "frigging fabulous", I certainly haven't, nor can I remember anyone claiming it's fabulous. I simply maintain it's nowhere near as sh1te as you make out, unless you had a particularly nasty climatic bubble in Cambridgeshire, the reverse of what you seem to have in Vejer.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Unless I missed a post somewhere, I'm only aware of you saying it's "frigging fabulous", I certainly haven't, nor can I remember anyone claiming it's fabulous. I simply maintain it's nowhere near as sh1te as you make out, unless you had a particularly nasty climatic bubble in Cambridgeshire, the reverse of what you seem to have in Vejer.
Oh there have been a couple of people claiming it is wonderful there. I'm pretty sure you have been rather fulsome in your praises for it.

I actually said, if it is so good why do so many people flee to Spain quoting weather as a major reason? I didn't say it was anything.

When I lived there I used to pay attention to it, unlike a lot of people who would say what a lovely day it was if the sun shone for more than ten minutes. I can only speak for Cambs, because that's where I was, but it was very depressing with the damn near continuous grey skies.

Yeah, PS it is the reverse here. Loadsa sun.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:26 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Spain for the same reason as most other people and it doesn’t need repeating (too often). I was interested in a couple of posters saying that they didn’t like Scotland, despite its outstanding scenery.

If Scotland had the Costa Blanca climate, then that’s where I would be now. If London had the Costa Blanca climate . . . , if Essex and Suffolk . . . . The only other stipulation would be that it had a few Spanish people as well, in fact, quite a lot of them.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:37 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I came to Spain for the same reason as most other people and it doesn’t need repeating (too often). I was interested in a couple of posters saying that they didn’t like Scotland, despite its outstanding scenery.

If Scotland had the Costa Blanca climate, then that’s where I would be now. If London had the Costa Blanca climate . . . , if Essex and Suffolk . . . . The only other stipulation would be that it had a few Spanish people as well, in fact, quite a lot of them.
For me it's far too close to the North Pole, lovely if you can bear the wind, rain and cold through your parka hood.

That is many peoples cup of Tea, but not mine.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

One of the bet parts of winter on the CDS is that there is an hour or two extra daylight. However there are still lots of dull days too. I think the UK should stop tinkering with the clocks.

Some people don't mind bad weather, we have friends who regularly go walking in the Yorkshire Dales even in winter
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Good for you. Hope you enjoy the UK more than Spain. Only 4 days of rain in Spain? Don't worry, you'll get far more in the UK!
Yes, but that was four days rain out of five !

Now here's another interesting statistic for you to get your head around bil.

Cambridge average annual rainfall, 557mm.

Cadiz average annual rainfall, 641mm.

Oh yes,nearly forgot,

Didn't Cadiz even manage to outdo Manchesters rainfall a year or two back ?

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 14th 2011 at 6:07 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Oh yes,nearly forgot,

We always look at the number of days of rain or number of days of sunshine in a year rather than the total amount as this is the statistic that really matters.

Rosemary
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:26 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
For me it's far too close to the North Pole, lovely if you can bear the wind, rain and cold through your parka hood.

That is many peoples cup of Tea, but not mine.
I did say if it had the Costa Blanca climate.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:40 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Oh yes,nearly forgot,

Then that proves Spain's climate is better than the UK!

Sheesh.

Don't forget old son, there are lies, Damned lies, and -whisper it- STATISTICS.

Read all I have said about my climate experiences in the UK. I don't say it rains all the time, in fact we were close to being classed as semi arid when it came to rainfall. It isn't the amount that kills you, it's the fact that most days the sky is grey and there is a persistant dampness. Rain comes in stretched out, intermittant showers that instead of all coming in one day, it will be spread out over the whole damn week.

Cambs with less rain managed to be damp and slimey all the time. There was algal slime growing on the metal lamp posts, for goodness sake!

Here the rain comes down like a hammer, writes off a day, and then it's dry within the day, and no more rain for ages, unless you have a freak winter like we had in 2009-2010.

Aggie likes going on about that in an attempt to blacken the climate here, but in fact, no-one here had seen such a winter in their lives, except 70 year olds.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:42 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We always look at the number of days of rain or number of days of sunshine in a year rather than the total amount as this is the statistic that really matters.

Rosemary
I'd call it the barbecue factor. I could invite you for a barbie here on any saturday you liked, from now till November, and the odds are we would have a lovely day with blue skies.

Care to try the same in the UK?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:42 pm
bil
Banned

One of the bet parts of winter on the CDS is that there is an hour or two extra daylight. However there are still lots of dull days too. I think the UK should stop tinkering with the clocks.

Some people don't mind bad weather, we have friends who regularly go walking in the Yorkshire Dales even in winter
Can you say 'MASOCHIST'?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Can you say 'MASOCHIST'?
Much more pleasurable than working in the garden at 40c plus.
Now that really is masochistic !

Never had a day when there wasn't at least a break for a pleasant walk in the UK last Winter.
Now putting aside the wet and windy winter days in Spain, I would likely be a prisoner in my own house if I stayed through mid-summer.

UK is a temperate climate, much of Spain is definitely not, and overall suffers from more extremes than the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.