Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Of all the places in all the world.......

Of all the places in all the world.......

Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:43 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of all the places in all the world.......

We wanted to retire early and couldn't do it in the UK. I wanted a warm climate. Didn't fancy Portugal or Italy, Greece was a possibility, but Spain was nearer for the kids, and I already had some Spanish.

Plus I really liked the place.

Still do.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

lemon_drizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

wow loads of replies! Thanks for satisfying my nosiness!

I am not entirely sure as to why I want to move, I have spent so many great summers in Spain and speak some Spanish etc. It was always in the plans to move there at some point. I am only 25 so in no particular hurry to move somewhere permanently ( am still in a position where I could move easily if it didn't work). But I do need to work. Which is why it might be on hold for a while.

Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
All these things are everywhere I think, if it was less before then it is also just like other places, change happens whether we like it or not. I don't do being told either

If you moved would it be within or outwith Spain do you think, based on your situation now ?
Spain was re-discovering itself after all those years of Franco, which made a difference to other places, in as much as not wanting to be dictated to.
Spain is my home but manana is another day.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:06 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Spain was re-discovering itself after all those years of Franco, which made a difference to other places, in as much as not wanting to be dictated to.
Spain is my home but manana is another day.

Well at least that explains your choice of user name.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lemon_drizzle

I am not entirely sure as to why I want to move, I have spent so many great summers in Spain and speak some Spanish etc.

Spend a couple of winters too before deciding
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Well at least that explains your choice of user name.
Franco had a twistedmelon also
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Spend a couple of winters too before deciding
Spanish winters can be fierce, it's true, with high winds and torrential rains. Equally it's not every year.

Me, I'd far rather put up with Spanish winters than endure the creeping depression that I used to experience with the UK weather, where you can count the really sunny summer days on the fingers of one hand.

We used to put the central heating on in September, in the UK and switch it off at the end of April. Here, we usually light the stove up in November (sometimes not until December), and stop using it in March.

Note to save the usual tedious debates. Winter conditions vary, but then, if you buy a place where the winters are long and hard, don't come on here and bitch. Equally, if you don't like hot weather, why you come to Spain?

It depends on which you prefer. Shock horror, you have to put up with three months of (comparatively) cold winter weather in Spain, or endure English Augusts where you can be so cold and wet you have to light a fire in mid summer.

Your call!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish winters can be fierce, it's true, with high winds and torrential rains. Equally it's not every year.
I read this far, and thought any minute now he's about to launch into a diatribe about UK weather!

Me, I'd far rather put up with Spanish winters than endure the creeping depression that I used to experience with the UK weather, where you can count the really sunny summer days on the fingers of one hand.

We used to put the central heating on in September, in the UK and switch it off at the end of April. Here, we usually light the stove up in November (sometimes not until December), and stop using it in March.
And like the Spanish weather, he never disappoints!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:16 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
I read this far, and thought any minute now he's about to launch into a diatribe about UK weather!

And like the Spanish weather, he never disappoints!

I saw your name and thought, 'Here we go, same old, same old.'

Tell me again how wonderful the weather is in the UK.

I lived there for 50+ years, and slowly but surely I came to realise how dull it was. Not all the time, there were a few good days, but only enough to realise how bad the dullness was. You on the other hand go there all dewey eyed and tell me it's wonderful.

If the Uk climate is so frigging fabulous, why is it that so many Brits fleeing to Spain list the weather as a major factor?

Me, I don't say the Spanish weather is perfect. It isn't. Nowhere is, but as someone who was reared under grey skies, I value reliable sunshine very highly, and I get it here. I never had it in the UK, so don't kid me that the weather there is perfect. In the words of a poster on here, 'Don't piss up my back and tell me it's raining.'

I can understand that for someone like you who never lacked for sunshine all their life, moving to the UK can be a relief from the implacable Spanish sun.

That tho is a whole different story.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:22 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

I lived there for 50+ years, and slowly but surely I came to realise how dull it was. Not all the time, there were a few good days, but only enough to realise how bad the dullness was. You on the other hand go there all dewey eyed and tell me it's wonderful.

If the Uk climate is so frigging fabulous, why is it that so many Brits fleeing to Spain list the weather as a major factor?

Me, I don't say the Spanish weather is perfect. It isn't. Nowhere is, but as someone who was reared under grey skies, I value reliable sunshine very highly, and I get it here. I never had it in the UK, so don't kid me that the weather there is perfect. In the words of a poster on here, 'Don't piss up my back and tell me it's raining.'

I can understand that for someone like you who never lacked for sunshine all their life, moving to the UK can be a relief from the implacable Spanish sun.

Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:30 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Is it that sunny in Wales ?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:11 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather be in the UK than CDS in July in August even last year when it was chilly in the UK. No fun 35C when you are not on holiday. Come to think of it I would prefer to be in the UK when it's raining in Spain like it has the past two winters. June and September can be perfect in Spain, sometimes October when it doesn't rain.

Last week at 4pm it was 36C on the wall dial outside my UK house...honest. Was in full sun though
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:18 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Although Spain has good weather, Which I love, it is blessed in that it doesn't suffer from Monsoons or serious earth quakes, Hurricanes or Tornado's, that some warmer climates do, and it's cheap to pop back to the UK. It ticks my boxes nicely.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:37 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I would rather be in the UK than CDS in July in August even last year when it was chilly in the UK. No fun 35C when you are not on holiday. Come to think of it I would prefer to be in the UK when it's raining in Spain like it has the past two winters. June and September can be perfect in Spain, sometimes October when it doesn't rain.

Last week at 4pm it was 36C on the wall dial outside my UK house...honest. Was in full sun though
Possibly a stupid question, but if you hate the weather here so much, and the UK has such charm, instead of bitching all the time, why don't you go back there?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:39 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Is it that sunny in Wales ?
I think there's areas in Wales where the average rainfall is 3 hours a day. I think they are twinned with the third circle in Hell.....

Bear in mind Scotland is colder and wetter than England....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.