Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

All the British are leaving...Official.

All the British are leaving...Official.

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All the British are leaving...Official.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Excellent article, more so for the comments than for the article itself.

I actually thought the comments were quite balanced, There were 5 or so who were very pleased the guiris were going because the "time of the English colonies of Queen Victoria are in the past" and "the British cant even say Adios after 10 years of living here" and "the British want Spain to be a cheap place for them, well hard luck!"

One guy said a British person he knows "couldnt stop crying" becuase he cant rent out his two flats or sell his villa in Calahonda for 300,000 euros even though he bought them dead cheap years ago.

I think Spanish people in the area feel a little abused by the British who have come to places like the Costa del sol, benefitted hugely by the rise and property prices and not offered back anything to Spanish society.

A few years ago, after uni, I did some work experience in Seguros Vitalicio in Malaga. My boss was really nice and helped me a lot, but the best thing is we'd go for coffees a couple of times a day with my work mates in the office. They really liked me because they said in all their years of knowing British people on the Costa Del Sol I was the only one they knew who spoke more than 3 words of Spanish and went to Spanish cafeterias and stuff like that. They were saying that Spaniards dont even get to benefit from their spending as Brits go to their own restaurants and own shops and even schools.

Now, I'm not saying this to big myself up, but to ask. Why should Spanish people care if the British went back home? I can't think of any reasons. :thumbdown:
Because their economy is dependant on foreigners visiting/living here , without the Costas much of Spain would be very similar to Morocco /Northern Africa.(okay some still is)

No British/foreigners equals economical disaster.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I'm afraid I agree with Rotor, if all the foreigners stay at home, then what? Spain is heavily reliant on the service industry. The tourist industry gives people jobs, not well-paid, granted, but jobs nonetheless. Malaga has the highest unemployment rate in Spain if I remember rightly, and we certainly don't want it to keep on rising.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:59 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

What was that figure that British expats were reckoned to contribute to the Spanish economy? Wasn't it something like an average of 30,000 a year?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Because their economy is dependant on foreigners visiting/living here , without the Costas much of Spain would be very similar to Morocco /Northern Africa.(okay some still is)

No British/foreigners equals economical disaster.
You havent got a clue what you are talking about. The Africa comments are entirely insulting and not at all accurate.

In terms of GDP per capita which is the best measure of wealth; the CIA factbook (which I know you are fond of) has Spain and the UK neck and neck! i.e. Spain is as rich as the UK! Morocco is 15 times poorer than Spain.

CIA factbook figures for GDP
UK = $36,000
Spain = $35,500
Morocco = $2,900

They say residential and holiday tourism (i.e. foreigners holidaying and living in Spain) contributes to 10% of Spain's economy. So removing this isnt going to turn Spain into Morocco is it?

However, I prefer the IMF figures which has Spain's economy a little behing the UK, but nowhere near any of the African countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...al)_per_capita

These figures are entirely convincing, but I'm sure they wont stop you on your crucade to patronise and belittle Spain and its people.

Btw the only place I've seen ressembling North Africa in Spain is the desert in Almeria. An area mainly inhabited by Moroccans and Brits.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I'm afraid I agree with Rotor, if all the foreigners stay at home, then what? Spain is heavily reliant on the service industry. The tourist industry gives people jobs, not well-paid, granted, but jobs nonetheless. Malaga has the highest unemployment rate in Spain if I remember rightly, and we certainly don't want it to keep on rising.
Yes of course the tourist industry is important to Spain especially in areas like the Costa del sol, the area is all about tourism and nothing else!

But the Africa comparisons are patronising and untrue. You only have to look at the figures from the previous post to see that.

I sense some British people on here like to overstate their own importance.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I certainly don't agree with the Africa comparison! But the tourism aspect is vitally important. The major of Torremolinos, for example, is going all out to promote tourism (in particular quality tourism) as he sees it as the town's best hope of earning money. They are keen to encourage sports tourism, trade fairs, cultural events, all of this is tourism, not just people coming over to drink and lie on the beaches (and I'm not criticising that as such!). Some of the facilities here are world class (Olympic pool, etc). If a few poverty stricken Brits leave I don't think it will make much difference, but tourism in general is vital to the economy.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:36 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused... are people saying that tourism isn't that important to the economy of Spain now?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:39 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I certainly don't agree with the Africa comparison! But the tourism aspect is vitally important. The major of Torremolinos, for example, is going all out to promote tourism (in particular quality tourism) as he sees it as the town's best hope of earning money. They are keen to encourage sports tourism, trade fairs, cultural events, all of this is tourism, not just people coming over to drink and lie on the beaches (and I'm not criticising that as such!). Some of the facilities here are world class (Olympic pool, etc). If a few poverty stricken Brits leave I don't think it will make much difference, but tourism in general is vital to the economy.
One of the most sensible and accurate post I have read on this thread.

Certain areas are dependant on tourism from Brits and other nationalites but NOT the whole of Spain.

For instance, Asturias does not rely on any tourism from Brits, but from the Spanish who live elsewhere.

But Tourism in general is absolutely vital to certain areas and certain families.

Last edited by manamama; Mar 3rd 2010 at 1:42 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You havent got a clue what you are talking about. The Africa comments are entirely insulting and not at all accurate.

In terms of GDP per capita which is the best measure of wealth; the CIA factbook (which I know you are fond of) has Spain and the UK neck and neck! i.e. Spain is as rich as the UK! Morocco is 15 times poorer than Spain.

CIA factbook figures for GDP
UK = $36,000
Spain = $35,500Morocco = $2,900

They say residential and holiday tourism (i.e. foreigners holidaying and living in Spain) contributes to 10% of Spain's economy. So removing this isnt going to turn Spain into Morocco is it?

However, I prefer the IMF figures which has Spain's economy a little behing the UK, but nowhere near any of the African countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...al)_per_capita

These figures are entirely convincing, but I'm sure they wont stop you on your crucade to patronise and belittle Spain and its people.

Btw the only place I've seen ressembling North Africa in Spain is the desert in Almeria. An area mainly inhabited by Moroccans and Brits.
Because of foreign investors including tourists and foreign residents, without this you would see a GDP similar to many third world countries.

I`m on no crusade to belittle anyone and nearly all my friends in Spain are Spanish and agree that without tourists / foreign residents/Brussels massive cheques things would not be as advanced as they are now.

I enjoy living in Spain and are also in touch with reality unlike yourself it seems
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Tourism is certainly an important part of the economy on the Costas. The spanish I know recognise that. Unemployment went up cerca 2% again in February, mainly the service sector and construction. There was a photo in yesterday's Sur which showed a massive queue outside an INEM office in the region.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Tourism is certainly an important part of the economy on the Costas. The spanish I know recognise that. Unemployment went up cerca 2% again in February, mainly the service sector and construction. There was a photo in yesterday's Sur which showed a massive queue outside an INEM office in the region.
And who was buying most of the new builds on the costas......Johnny Foreigner ,now money is tight also many have lost confidence due to the numerous illegal build scandals ,hell I would not touch a new build here , better buy and old town house or cortijo...older the better so long as they have escrituras and nota simples
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish tourism is the second most profitable tourism sector in the world... it accounts for over 40 billion dollars worth of GDP... Not much I guess....
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

They really liked me because they said in all their years of knowing British people on the Costa Del Sol I was the only one they knew who spoke more than 3 words
Wow! They should consider themselves very lucky to meet someone as gifted as you, especially after all those years of meeting Brits with only three words of Spanish.
You havent got a clue what you are talking about.
Not everyone is as clever as you, be patient with the lesser mortals.
Luv it!

Last edited by agoreira; Mar 3rd 2010 at 5:49 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:15 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They really liked me because they said in all their years of knowing British people on the Costa Del Sol I was the only one they knew who spoke more than 3 words

Wow! They should consider themselves very lucky to meet someone as gifted as you, especially after all those years of meeting Brits with only three words of Spanish.

Quote:

Quote:

Luv it!

Why is it assumed that Brits on the Costa only speak a few words of spanish. Some do but many British families have been here since the 70's, they are second and third generation and there are many anglo-spanish families. It's not Timbuktoo. Just cos you struggle with spanish words don't assume that all the British do!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Luv it!

Why is it assumed that Brits on the Costa only speak a few words of spanish. Some do but many British families have been here since the 70's, they are second and third generation and there are many anglo-spanish families. It's not Timbuktoo. Just cos you struggle with spanish words don't assume that all the British do!
I was quoting you what Spanish people from Malaga had told me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.