Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alicante/Murcia property rental agents

Alicante/Murcia property rental agents

Old Feb 13th 2019, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Alicante/Murcia property rental agents

Hi all.
My wife and I are staying in Alicante for the month of May, partly for a long awaited holiday and partly to look at potential areas to move to in October. Can anyone recommend trustworthy rental agents in the Alicante/Murcia areas that we can check out while there.
All advice appreciated.
Thanks
John

Old Feb 15th 2019, 1:02 pm
Banned

Mr Pastry1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alicante/Murcia property rental agents

I paid a deposit to an agent last week, the next day he disappeared.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Costa Blanca is a huge area and there are many estate agents. An agent in Alicante will have no idea of properties available in Murcia and conversely an agent in Murcia will have no knowledge of Alicante. They will have little knowledge of properties in between. You really need to decide where you want to rent / buy? Choose an agent local to wherever you want to be.

You could do worse than visit Casas Manuel in Benijofar. A family run business. The owner is Spanish and his wife is English - a foot in both camps? :-)
https://www.casasmanuel.com/

You may have seen them on TV? https://www.casasmanuel.com/blog/wat...elling-houses/
Old Feb 16th 2019, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Mr Pastry1 you have experienced exactly what we are trying to avoid. There appear to be too many examples such as yours and I hope you are more successful with your next agent.
Missile, thanks for the reply. I appreciate both regions are large, it was just to get a couple of people on the ground with experience who could reasonbly be trusted to offer advice and indicate what types of property would be available within our budget. My wife and I watch the TV programme you refer to and they come accross as being a hardworkig, trustworthy family business but unfortunately they only sell property and do not act as rental agents. I will however email them to see if they can recommend rental agents in the Alicante area.

John
Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:02 am
Just Joined

emmagab is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,
I just arrived in Spain a couple of weeks ago for 6 months. Also looking to buy in the Valencian/ Murcia communities.
Hard to know which estate agent to choose...

Ideally I'd love to find a short term rural rental for 2-3 months to get a feel of countryside/ village life, so I can explore surrounding areas by car..
If anyone knows if this is possible I'd be much obliged.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello emmagab,
Generally, when posting on a thread someone has started looking for advice your post should be offering a comment/advice that will be useful to them. From experience there are some people on these forums that take great offence at having their thread ‘hijacked’ by other members. Although I’m not one of them, they’re not difficult to find.
As you are looking for short term rental advice can I suggest you start your own thread as advice on this will not help me with my own plans.
Thanks,
John
Old Feb 17th 2019, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

emmagab is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello John,
thank you for the heads up and for explaining how my response could be perceived by others... I wasn't aware that was hijacking as I'm quite new to this site and online forums in general....

My first introductory post was apparently in the wrong place and my second a hijacker....!!! Great start.

​​​​​​So If I have this correct, I can only post if I am making a valid contribution, without asking anything else even if within same context..

I guess to be honest I feel a bit afraid of starting a brand new post, if there are other similar ones.

Anyway thanks again for the heads up..
I will ask the site/ moderators to remove my inappropriate post.

Regards

Last edited by emmagab; Feb 17th 2019 at 7:14 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 8:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not hijacking, you are asking for much the same information. I am quite happy with that.

Beastie, please let the moderaters decide what is appropriate or not, rather than scaring off new members who are not sure of the etiquette.

To emmagab, welcome to the forum. I am sure we can help you find the information you need.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 17th 2019 at 8:56 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi emmagab,
Welcome to British expats. I could see you are new to the site and wanted to offer some advice that might help you get the information you seek in a more direct way whilst learning the “etiquette” that Fred refers to. I didn’t describe your post as inappropriate, it just didn’t help me with my inquiry. There’s certainly no need for the post to be removed and I would hope my advice was given I a way that didn’t scare you off. Have a go at starting a thread, get the first one out of the way and then it’s easy.
Fred, I have no interest in deciding whether a post is inappropriate or not, I’ll leave that up to you. However, I have been around long enough to be able to offer advice when I think it will be helpful and warranted. The word ‘highjacking’ is used on forums to describe using someone else’s thread to start off a second conversation that is not the same as the original posters. Emmagaband I are looking for different information and when being notified of a reply I would like to know it’s going to be about my enquiry before I read it, hence my advice.

Please close this thread as it has now slipped off topic. That will allow emmagab to start her first thread and mean I do not have to engage in a pointless conversation with a moderator about what advice a member of britisexpats who joined more than a decade ago can and cannot give to newbies.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth:
There is "long term renting" of min 6 months (with rent quoted per month), and there is "short term renting" (holiday renting) with rent quoted per day.
It looks to me that your desired 1 month renting falls into the short term/holiday and in May, when the summer season starts, it can be quite expensive.
Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't care less if somebody hijacked an post of mine. Fora such as this are accessible for most and valuable information is derived from nearly every post. The more you contribute, the more you read the more you learn. The important thing is to take information from here that you want to take. Learn from it and prosper.

My tuppenceworth renting a place for the month of May sounds fine but you are inbetween low and high season with more emphasis on the high. My advice would be to rent in either November, December, January, February and you will find the true information about anyplace in which you wish to retire or invest. Also, I recommend renting privately because there is no finders fee, additional deposits against everything you can think of, no utilities costs other than electricity (no refuse, no water, no local tax etc). Be aware that the Murcia region is fraught with illegal builds. You will need an independent solicitor (not a notary) to act for you. If you don't employ an independent solicitor you deserve everything you get.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Try Idealista to search for properties online. Always view the property and do your due diligence on the agent before you hand any money over (visit their offices, check their online profile / reviews etc...)

You could also try some of the well established agents like Lucas Fox and Engel and Volkers.

My advice would be to visit the area you want to rent and approach the local agents on the ground.

Good luck
Old Feb 21st 2019, 7:50 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun

My advice would be to visit the area you want to rent and approach the local agents on the ground.

Good luck
There is no substitute for having your boots on the ground.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Most agents these days use the big sites to advertise and link back to their sites (which sometimes give more photos and details) -try https://www.idealista.com/en/
and or https://www.fotocasa.es/es/

Both sites are good for research for availability/prices etc. Then of course you need to check the areas and see if it meets your requirements in all aspects.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies. Our accommodation in May is already sorted and the intention is to have 3 to 6 months over the winter period either in one place or split between Alicante and Almeria so we can look at areas in and between them. If that gives us what we need to make the move we would then look for a long term let.
Being on the ground will give us the chance to find information in person but I had hoped to have some leads on trustworthy agents from the positive experiences of other posters to give us a head start.
Thanks spainrico, the internet gives useful info on types/availability of some properties but I am more concerned with avoiding issues around giving money over to dishonest agents and losing it as MrPastry1 has recently experienced.
I have no doubt the number of dishonest agents are far outweighed by those who are completely trustworthy but I’m not the most trusting of people so simply wish to minimise the risk by seeking recommendations in advance.
Thanks again for the replies.