Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

alicante area should we buy inland?

alicante area should we buy inland?

Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:47 am
Just Joined

ariston is an unknown quantity at this point
Question alicante area should we buy inland?

We are looking to buy a 5 or more bed property so we can start a b&b. Also I have a business in the uk servicing and repairs etc for domestic appliances, so initially I would be attempting to support the start up with my work. Anybody got any advice as to whether we should look more inland for property or stick to the coast. We have seen a couple of places in the Calpe area 6beds at around 500000euros, would need a mortage to fund that though. Is there enough business to support something like this inland. How big is the price differentials. Anybody done it? or anybody got any positives and more to the point negatives.

Thanks

Steve
Old Feb 19th 2005, 2:42 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: alicante area should we buy inland?

Have you looked at Jalon Valley yet? I'm not a fan of Calpe. I think it's ugly, sprawling and dead in winter. That being said it is a tourist draw which would help for a B&B business.

Downside with Jalon is that it's being built up quickly so bargain prices are disappearing. It's hot as hell in summer as the heat gets trapped and cold in winter. I saw snow on the ground when I lived there. Well I was about 30 mins away but had good friends in Jalon, or Xalo as it's known locally. It can be a bit scuzzy in areas and tends to attract the people with less money but who still want the Spanish life. There's not a lot in the way of nightlife in Jalon but there were Brits opening up bars left right and centre so it will probably continue to grow.

There are so many cheap holiday homes and cheap hotels already over there that I think you'd need to offer something extra with a B&B, maybe some sort of theme to draw people in. Your other option is to contact the estate agencies who do inspection tours and see how keen they would be to house people in a B&B, though I would imagine it would have to be a luxury one.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sibsie,

What though is your definition of scuzzy?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:46 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ariston
What though is your definition of scuzzy?
Grafitti, run down, nasty shops, karaoke bars, dog poo and run down houses.

Actually we used to call Jalon, Hell on Wheels. There are merits to it though, it's full or orange blossom this time of year and looks really pretty. The centre square has a lovely old church and the weekly market is good. I haven't been there in a year and that's a long time in the world of Spanish builders so it could well have improved.

Thinking of marketing ploys... the whole region is huge for mountain bikers. A lot of the guys who do the tour de France winter train there, so it could be a B&B niche market for you with mountain bikers from England.

Plus points, it's a quick drive from Calpe, Javea and Denia which make it a cheaper alternative. I'm still not sure how many tourists prefer to stay in Jalon though, when the other beach resorts are so near.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

dougie V is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been in spain now on and off for about 3 years, based on what you have said you want to do with the b&b i personaly would move away from the alicante area as there is a saturation of property on the market for rent as so many people have had the idea of buying to rent, and from speaking to people in this position now, they are struggling to rent out there properties due to the saturation. Unfortunately this will aplly to most coastal areas now that have large development. When i lived in mojacar (almeria way) a friend of mine was doing exactly what you are planning and not that they were busy all the time the business seemed to tick along. they have there b&b in bedar, a beautifull mountain village about 15 mins from the coast. this area may be worth checking out, if you go for this option, i would suggest that you contact all of the smaller estate agents in the area, as they need good accommodation for there clients...just a suggestion. i personaly would target places like arcos de la frontera (check it out on the net) which was voted the number 1 blanco peublo in spain, if you speak spanish, or employ someone that can, i have been told that this is a little gem very popular with the spanish. It is about an hour inland, located 30 mins from jean and cadiz, and an hour from gibralter and sevilla. I am on my way down there in the next week to check out property as i feel this maybe an ideal place to live, as the coastal areas really don't appeal anymore to me. The prices down there are very reasonable compared with coastal, and it is located close to airports (1 hour or so). If you want i will let you know more information about arcos after my visit next week. good luck with what you decide
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your thoughts Dougie. Visited Cadiz about 10 years ago, would be interested to hear how you get on.

Steve