British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Alicante airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/alicante-airport-711035/)

reggiedh Mar 27th 2011 1:04 pm

Alicante airport

I hear the new terminal has opened at Alicante airport. If so, any comments: good experience as a traveler. And has the new parking opened as well?

Mama_Carol Mar 27th 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Alicante airport

My husband went there this morning to meet someone.

You drive in as though you were driving to the old terminal one. Past the front of the old terminal is the new terminal (now called terminal one) and the new car park.

The old terminals 1 and 2 are now closed, as is the old car park.

The new terminal is open together with a new large 5 story car park. The best level to park when meeting someone at arrivals is level 4 then you just walk across an enclosed walkway into the terminal.

There is a limited drop off area for departures at level 5.

Bri and Katee Mar 27th 2011 5:18 pm

Anyone know where the car rental pickup is located now? By all accounts its been pretty chaotic since it opened, it should calm down once people get to find their way around.

Mama_Carol Mar 27th 2011 5:36 pm

Car rental offices are just landside of arrivals in the new terminal. Not sure where the actual cars are but they will tell you at the rental office.

Everything seemed well signposted and I think people will soon get used to the new layout.

raddickle Mar 28th 2011 10:28 am

We came back from Alicante yesterday. Very impressed with the new terminal, large, bright with plenty of places to eat and drink,though it does seem that the staff in the bars and cafes are struggling to get to grips with the new tills. Downside was the long walk from dropping the hire car off in the old car park to the new terminal but hopefully those hire car companies that operate from the upper level of the old car park will relocate.

Loco Pedro Mar 28th 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by reggiedh (Post 9267448)
I hear the new terminal has opened at Alicante airport. If so, any comments: good experience as a traveler. And has the new parking opened as well?

I picked up my wife on Thursday. Parked in the new car park. Found her in arrivals no problem. Returned to the car. Paid only 40 cents for about 30 minutes. Drove off.
The only negatives really are the exit ramps from the car park. They are very close together so one needs to take a very careful wide arc to get from one down ramp to the next.
Also, the scale of the whole terminal is such that its a fair walk from arrivals back to the car park - and yet, in keeping with so many Spanish car parks, the car spaces are faily miserly.
I'd give it 8 out of 10.

noelrosie Mar 28th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by raddickle (Post 9269099)
We came back from Alicante yesterday. Very impressed with the new terminal, large, bright with plenty of places to eat and drink,though it does seem that the staff in the bars and cafes are struggling to get to grips with the new tills. Downside was the long walk from dropping the hire car off in the old car park to the new terminal but hopefully those hire car companies that operate from the upper level of the old car park will relocate.

We came back to UK on Friday night, through the new airport. I would agree it is good - nice and modern, easy enough to find out where to drop off the hire car, where to check in, etc.

But, there seemed to be large expanses of 'nothing' and I think that a few more seats inside the terminal might be useful, especially if the planned air traffic control strikes go ahead over Easter.

As for the food court - well, the staff certainly need more training IMO both on the tills, and in putting together a customer's order.