Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:31 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Lets put a little togetherness back into the forum.

We surely can agree they are both better than Coin!!

Well...yes
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:25 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

The OP, Chris maybe interested in this link from a few years ago http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=MIT

Jo xxx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:35 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris5317
Hi JoJo - thanks for the link on the school. Its been our hardest decision by far. We reviewed the nabss wesbsite, but i don;t recall seeing that one on the list.
So far i've visited three schools the British College, Sunlands + St Anthony's. The first felt more like a prison than a school, i'm sure very good academically, but it felt very solen. So it was a choice between the other two and Sunland pipped it on location ie closer to our preferred areas, although i really did like St Anthony's. I will have a look at the school you reommended as I'm coming over in November and I haven't parted with any cash yet re school places, just had a verbal confirmation of places. Its almost impossible i think to get the school right straight away and i'm prepared for the possibility that we may need to change after a term or so ...

Hi Bob - re work nothing sorted out yet, i'm an accountant by trade so if i can;t find anything i can always go back to London and temp to top up on our renatl income from London
I shouldnt say this on the open forum, but IMO I wouldnt touch st Anthonys. Mine ended up going to The British college and altho it isnt the prettiest of schools, it was good. Another one worth looking at is Sunnyview, Torremolinos. I've a friend whose 3 attend there and she raves about it!

Jo xxx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Grande, but only if the rent or price is right.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

chris5317 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks jojo
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Adam33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!!

I know it is not the right thread but let me try....

I live in Alhaurín de la Torre and I am Spanish. I am looking for a Spanish-English Tandem so do you fancy meeting to improve your Spanish skills?
I can speak German and Italian as well so if you are interested in, just tell me it;-)
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam33
Hi!!

I know it is not the right thread but let me try....

I live in Alhaurín de la Torre and I am Spanish. I am looking for a Spanish-English Tandem so do you fancy meeting to improve your Spanish skills?
I can speak German and Italian as well so if you are interested in, just tell me it;-)
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Adam33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Originally Posted by Rosemary
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary,

Thank you very much for your reply ;-)
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well...yes
I like both but for me Coin is a great place. We go there once a week to do our shopping, have a lovely breakfast in town and generally wander around town window shopping and chatting to people we know. There is a great clinic there too Clinica Lacibis who have been marvellous over the years. The plaza is beautiful in front of the Town Hall and there are many celebrations there like the Day of the Orange!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Alphons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've never come across a village that looks and feels as rough as Alhaurin El Grande - and I've been to a lot of places in Spain. The only place I can equate it to was when I was in the Gypsy neighbourhood of Barcelona called Besós

Still, plenty of people who come on this forum tend to like it so it may be right for you

I came across this thread when googling for information. I've been to look at several properties in Alhaurin El Grande, and I feel completely put off by how things are up there.

First of all the "centre" of town is full of empty flats and houses with no windows, and empty-shell buildings everywhere. There are people loitering about in doorways looking well rough, I mean these people look like drugdealers and they probably are. There are people loitering about in empty plots between houses.
As I passed through the town centre a group of approx 5 men were completely dismantling a white van in one of those empty plots of land between a couple of apartment buildings, it was like one of those scenes out of an american action film where these gangsters dismantle stolen cars.
There's no good logical reason why there would be someone dismantling cars in an empty lot, with several empty shells of cars sitting about nearby.

This place struck me as a dangerous place full of antisocial behaviour. I would never want to live there. I've been completely put off, and I will never ever venture back to Alhaurin El Grande even for a day trip, it seems like a cross between the Dodge City of the "Gunsmoke" tv-series and somewhere like Baltimore/Detroit today.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alphons
I came across this thread when googling for information. I've been to look at several properties in Alhaurin El Grande, and I feel completely put off by how things are up there.

First of all the "centre" of town is full of empty flats and houses with no windows, and empty-shell buildings everywhere. There are people loitering about in doorways looking well rough, I mean these people look like drugdealers and they probably are. There are people loitering about in empty plots between houses.
As I passed through the town centre a group of approx 5 men were completely dismantling a white van in one of those empty plots of land between a couple of apartment buildings, it was like one of those scenes out of an american action film where these gangsters dismantle stolen cars.
There's no good logical reason why there would be someone dismantling cars in an empty lot, with several empty shells of cars sitting about nearby.

This place struck me as a dangerous place full of antisocial behaviour. I would never want to live there. I've been completely put off, and I will never ever venture back to Alhaurin El Grande even for a day trip, it seems like a cross between the Dodge City of the "Gunsmoke" tv-series and somewhere like Baltimore/Detroit today.

Rosemary__________________
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Alphons

And so comments the Representative from the Alhaurin de la Torre tourist board.

Seriously I recognise nothing of the town you describe and I have lived here for 5 years. Still each to their own.

Good luck with finding Nirvana.

Last edited by Zaragozaram; Apr 15th 2013 at 10:58 pm. Reason: forgot who I was speaking to
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:03 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Alphons

And so comments the Representative from the Alhaurin de la Torre tourist board.

Seriously I recognise nothing of the town you describe and I have lived here for 5 years. Still each to their own.

Good luck with finding Nirvana.
I used to live inbetween "El Grande" and "De la Torre" and De la Torre was always considered more spanish and more affluent than "El Grande". We recently went back there for a visit and yes, "De la Torre" is still a clean, modern and apparently affluent town, with mainly Spanish residents. El Grande on the other hand seems to have deteriorated somewhat. We put it down to the fact it was mainly British who lived there and many have now left. Lots of empty shops, apartments etc and from friends of ours who know both places, there is apparently an issue with young Brits and Spanish who dont get on. It certainly doesnt look anything like the busy, thriving town it used to when we first arrived in Spain 5 years ago, in fact my OH commented that all it needed was some tumbleweed rolling down the street - sorry

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Apr 15th 2013 at 11:06 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:37 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Agree Jo. Saw this recently about AEG

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-ne...-spanish-home/