British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   The Alhambra. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/alhambra-523177/)

rachelk Mar 22nd 2008 2:36 pm

Re: The Alhambra.

Originally Posted by weemac (Post 6096696)
Apparently if you only want to see the gardens you can just stroll on in as they are municipal?

I don't think so, but you can buy a different ticket which allows access to the gardens (and everything else except the palace).

Econ Mar 22nd 2008 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 6091754)
I wouldn't bother with Granada if I was you..

You would be missing a lot if you didn't...

Monasterio de la Cartuja
Museo Arqueologico
The Albaycin Quarter (Old moorish area)
Granada Cathedral (Queen Isabella and Ferdinand are buried here)
Granada bull ring (Not to see a bull fight)

to mention but a few.

There is a lot to do and see in most cities in Spain, sadly a lot of tourists and locals miss some of the good bits in many of them. :)

rugbymatt Mar 22nd 2008 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Econ (Post 6098132)

Monasterio de la Cartuja
Museo Arqueologico

to mention but a few.

There is a lot to do and see in most cities in Spain, sadly a lot of tourists and locals miss some of the good bits in many of them. :)

and you would think she would know wouldn't you?

What with being Spanish.

Olmos Mar 22nd 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 6098209)
What with being Spanish.

If you are Spanish, but not from Granada, then your opinion about Granada is a tourist opinion.

rugbymatt Mar 22nd 2008 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Olmos (Post 6098404)
If you are Spanish, but not from Granada, then your opinion about Granada is a tourist opinion.

if I was a pig and said I was a frog would you think I was a frog or would you trust your eyes and say I was a pig?

What if I croaked like a frog but walked like a pig, snorted like a pig but lived in the water and hopped like a frog?

What then?

Olmos Mar 22nd 2008 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 6098418)
What if I croaked like a frog buy walked like a pig, snorted like a pig but lived in the water and hopped like a frog?

That reminds me my first girlfriend

ex reg Mar 23rd 2008 4:42 am

The Alhambra is great.

But in the opinion of me and the missus then the Alcázar in Seville just beats it into a cocked hat.
Seville is maybe 2 hours from Estapona and a nice car ride.
The Cathedral in Seville is another site not to miss.
And of course the Tapas there are better than anywhere else in Spain:unsure:

anabella Mar 23rd 2008 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Econ (Post 6098132)

Monasterio de la Cartuja
Museo Arqueologico

to mention but a few.

It's just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone but I absolutely hated Granada, I didn't want to elaborate cause it's not fair on the OP, who is excited about visiting. To me it isn't much more than dodgy city full of gypsies selling drugs on the streets and with very little to offer; what there is to see doesn't make putting up with those people and feeling unsafe at all times worth it. I must say, in the same breath, that I am a little paranoid regarding gypsies :o. I'd never go back to Granada if I can avoid it but I would visit the Alhambra or Sierra Nevada any day of the week. The Alhambra is definitely a must see!!

jdr Mar 23rd 2008 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Olmos (Post 6098451)
That reminds me my first girlfriend

:rofl:

Econ Mar 23rd 2008 9:18 am

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 6099094)
I didn't want to elaborate cause it's not fair on the OP, who is excited about visiting. To me it isn't much more than dodgy city full of gypsies selling drugs on the streets and with very little to offer; what there is to see doesn't make putting up with those people and feeling unsafe at all times worth it. I must say, in the same breath, that I am a little paranoid regarding gypsies

You must have problems with most Spanish cities and towns then Anabella :), to be honest anywhere there is tourisim there are problems with thieves and druggies, Granada is no worse than Sevilla, Barcelona and parts of Madrid etc. It would be a shame to scare people off from seeing some great sights for something that is common in most of todays Spain.

The rules are the same while visiting any tourist area of Spain 'or anywhere else for that matter', don't take loads of money and keep you eyes on your bag, wallet and what people close to you are up to and hopefully you should have nothing to worry about. :)

Mitzyboy Mar 23rd 2008 10:48 am

Paris, Amsterdam, London .... all the same when you look beneath the fascade. Where there are travellers and large populations together there will always be those that want to profit from illegal activities.

rugbymatt Mar 23rd 2008 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 6099720)
Paris, Amsterdam, London .... all the same when you look beneath the fascade. Where there are travellers and large populations together there will always be those that want to profit from illegal activities.

I'm a little surprised SoS hasn't popped in to add a few kind words.

leighbloke Mar 23rd 2008 11:56 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 6098418)
if I was a pig and said I was a frog would you think I was a frog or would you trust your eyes and say I was a pig?

What if I croaked like a frog but walked like a pig, snorted like a pig but lived in the water and hopped like a frog?

What then?

Either way it'd be an improvement?

But to answer your question - and based on the evidence - I'd say you were highly more likely to be a pig.

TheLostPhotographer Mar 23rd 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 6099094)
It's just my opinion ... ... that I am a little paranoid regarding gypsies :o.

Paranoid indeed. (SNIP):) Granada is one of the very safest cities I have lived in. It's extremely rare that people find trouble, or feel threatened here. People do occasionally get mugged - it happens in any tourism hot spot. I can name several other Spanish cities that are far more intimidating and it's got nothing whatsoever to do with gypsies.

Tickets to The Alhambra;

A certain amount of tickets are allocated everyday for 'on the day visits'. Not sure exactly how many, but if you're prepared to queue from 7.30AM you are virtually guaranteed entry on the day regardless of time of year. You are told what time you can visit the palaces (often mid afternoon) but, you can still quite easily kill Four, or Five hours in the General Life gardens and other areas of The Alhambra. Treat yourself to an excellent meal at the Parador maybe.

For those booked into hotels whilst staying in Granada it's often well worth asking at reception for help getting a ticket. The receptionists brother may well know someone who's sister knows a guy who's aunt knows. Spain innit!