Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Algarrobo/Sayalonga

Algarrobo/Sayalonga

Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

the parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura about
Default Algarrobo/Sayalonga

We will be moving to Spain next year and are currently having a house built in between Algarrobo and Sayalonga in Andalucia.
Was wondering if there were any expats in the area.
My husband is 53 and I am 38 and both of us will be retired.
Would be nice to hear any advice or views on the area and more importantly what to expect.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algarrobo/Sayalonga

Originally Posted by the parkers
We will be moving to Spain next year and are currently having a house built in between Algarrobo and Sayalonga in Andalucia.
Would be nice to hear any advice or views on the area and more importantly what to expect.
Maybe you are approaching life in Spain in reverse ?
Surely you should know the area, if you like it then build your house.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Just what I was thinking! First advice, apart from that above, make sure, given your ages, that you have proper private medical insurance. As you are not "pensioners" in terms of being over 60/65, you Will not be eligible to join the Spanish national health system (unless of course you qualify by some other means such as disiability etc in the UK). Sorry I am assuming you are from the UK...
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Donna33 is a jewel in the roughDonna33 is a jewel in the roughDonna33 is a jewel in the roughDonna33 is a jewel in the rough

Hello

I have lived in Caleta the next town for 5 years there are plenty of expats in the area.
It is very nice can be quiet out of season and very busy june july august.
There are a few english run bars and restaurants.
There are some english clubs you could join and various things going on.
Donna
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

We live just past Sayalonga on the Competa road having made our permanent move here just 2 weeks ago today. We owned our home for a couple of years so have visited regularly during that time. However most of the trips were fairly short so we haven't really had a chance to really explore the local area as yet. Having said that we love the area as do the expats that we have met so far, but then I guess they would otherwise they wouldn't live here.

Sayalonga is a very small, very quaint, very Spanish village, and you can get the necessities from it's shops, bars and restaurants. For bigger shopping expeditions we to head down to SuperSol/Eroskis/Mercadona at J272. Fruit and veg can be bought very cheaply from the local markets, Caletta being particularly good.

We haven't actually been into Algarobbo itself so have no idea as yet what delights it may or may not contain.

There are quite a few expats of various nationalities scattered around although there isn't a concentrated enclave as you find in other areas.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email if you have any questions.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

We went on holiday to a friends villa in Sayalonga and the second day we were there bought a villa on the same road. Never been there before, infact the only place in Spain we had ever been was to to Madrid to a football match.
Just felt the place was right and for 7 years it was. We have friends who still live there and although we have moved to the the West coast of Malaga still visit Sayalonga.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

the parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura about

This is very helpful and I thank you for your time. We're both counting down the months until we can start our new life. As soon as we saw the plot and the location we knew it was right and we know it will be quiet at times so its encouraging to know that there are some expats in the area. We will be visiting the plot in july so may look up some folks in the area to get a real idea as to what to expect over a friendly beer. Thanks again