British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Algarrobo Costa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/algarrobo-costa-531102/)

MichaelandDawn Apr 21st 2008 7:59 pm

Algarrobo Costa

Everything is going great for us...We have received an offer on our house, and we are slowly over the next 8 weeks making the move to spain......its going to go SO quick, so much to do, and thats not including the inspection trip planned for businesses, apartment rentals etc etc.

Totally out of the blue though, a stunning cafe bar has really taken our eye. Its got so much space and cope, but its in a TOTALLY different area to benalmadena/arroyo that we are looking at.

Its beach front in Algarrobo Costa. We have google earthed this place, adnd think it looks in a lovely area.

I thought i would ask all of the informed people on here their views on the area. I know you will all be forthcoming with your good and bad points.

Lets hear it xxxxxxx:thumbup:

Spanish John Apr 21st 2008 9:16 pm

Re: Algarrobo Costa

A couple Sundays ago my wife and I drove along the coast road from Nerja back to Benalmadena,Nerja was nice but....mmm, let`s just say say we wont be rushing back to do the bits in between again,just a personal opinion..you need to come over and have a good look around for yourselves.What you need to remember is that if you are going to buy a business you need to be in an area that is going to be busy for as much of the year as possible and this is what the resorts to the West of Malaga have to offer.Come over and rent a property,put yourselves about,talk to locals and read the local rags to give you the best possible start.Above all don`t rush into anything,you can chuck a lot of money at a business that on the face of it appears to be "A Little Goldmine",but might leave you scratching your head and wondering what went wrong
regards
John

Mitzyboy Apr 21st 2008 9:43 pm

I cant say anything more than you should only even consider the possibilities of this bar after you have been over and researched the area extensively. You apparantly know nothing about the area at all, other than what you have seen on Google Earth.

Good luck though, hope it works out

Eve Apr 21st 2008 9:58 pm

Hi Michale & Dawn

I do know Algarobbo Costa, but not that well. I have a home in Competa and if we want to go to the coast and don't want to travel too far, that is the nearest, straight down the mountain road and head straight for the sea. It seems nice on face value, I have only been to a couple of the bars on the beach and they were fine, but I can't say I have ever seen the place busy, not even in the height of summer. But then, I probably haven't been at the right times. You need to go to spain, travel around and get the feel for a place. Some areas will have year round trade otheres will be very seasonable. Also everyones opinions differ with what they like so it is very much a matter of what you like not what others think. I hope you find what you are looking for and that the house sale goes through with out any hiccuos.
If you eventually set up a business near to me I will make a point of visiting!!
Good luck I wish you well.
Luv Eve
xx

Bigbhudda69 Apr 21st 2008 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn (Post 6244561)
Everything is going great for us...We have received an offer on our house, and we are slowly over the next 8 weeks making the move to spain......its going to go SO quick, so much to do, and thats not including the inspection trip planned for businesses, apartment rentals etc etc.

Totally out of the blue though, a stunning cafe bar has really taken our eye. Its got so much space and cope, but its in a TOTALLY different area to benalmadena/arroyo that we are looking at.

Its beach front in Algarrobo Costa. We have google earthed this place, adnd think it looks in a lovely area.

I thought i would ask all of the informed people on here their views on the area. I know you will all be forthcoming with your good and bad points.

Lets hear it xxxxxxx:thumbup:

Hi M&D

Algarrobo Costa is very different to Benalmadena/arroyo by about twenty years, it is really more a strip than an actual resort with a mix of light industry, agriculture, small hotels/appartments, it still seems very Spanish , there are a few nice area's of promenade and some good eateries.
I based myself there when I was looking around the general area, Its very quiet in the off season with lots of closed bars.
Torre del Mare is the nearest big town which in my opinion is very pleasant and very Spanish which I really like, it has lots of bars, restaurants and Chiringitos(beach seafood restaurants) it has a good beach and a good prom that is well used by the Spanish folk, going East you have Nerja which is a fairly large resort and quite popular with Brits, again a nice Town.
Algarrobo really falls between the two, Caleta de Velez is just down from Algarrobo and appears to be undergoing development and looks quite smart in places but this is really bringing Torre and Velez Malaga together in a triangle, Velez Malaga is a great town with a real buzz going, they are just completing a tram line from Torre to Velez which should really bring it all together.
I would advise a good long look and lots of research into the area, don't rush into anything please, it is a great area, but not all of it.....Buyer beware.

Good luck...BB

Bigbhudda69 Apr 21st 2008 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Eve (Post 6245083)
Hi Michale & Dawn

I do know Algarobbo Costa, but not that well. I have a home in Competa and if we want to go to the coast and don't want to travel too far, that is the nearest, straight down the mountain road and head straight for the sea. It seems nice on face value, I have only been to a couple of the bars on the beach and they were fine, but I can't say I have ever seen the place busy, not even in the height of summer. But then, I probably haven't been at the right times. You need to go to spain, travel around and get the feel for a place. Some areas will have year round trade otheres will be very seasonable. Also everyones opinions differ with what they like so it is very much a matter of what you like not what others think. I hope you find what you are looking for and that the house sale goes through with out any hiccuos.
If you eventually set up a business near to me I will make a point of visiting!!
Good luck I wish you well.
Luv Eve
xx

Hi Eve,
How are you, got over the Competa blues yet? still not long till the next trip, how's the house doing, all finished yet?

BB.

Eve Apr 22nd 2008 7:09 am

Hi BigBhudda,
Hope you are well, never really over the Competa Blues, but life goes on elsewhere!! Still lodding on in the house, re wiring is nearly finished, only the top floor to go, but it is a long term project as we knew so we will plod on. How's your delightful piece of spain doing? Sorry if going off thread but haven't been on here properly for ages. Anyway I must go, have to get to school. Take care, I will be back!!
Luv Eve
xx

Bigbhudda69 Apr 22nd 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eve (Post 6246352)
Hi BigBhudda,
Hope you are well, never really over the Competa Blues, but life goes on elsewhere!! Still lodding on in the house, re wiring is nearly finished, only the top floor to go, but it is a long term project as we knew so we will plod on. How's your delightful piece of spain doing? Sorry if going off thread but haven't been on here properly for ages. Anyway I must go, have to get to school. Take care, I will be back!!
Luv Eve
xx

Hi Eve hang in there girl won't be long now.
My bit is doing good, more or less finished, going over for about 6 weeks in May/June...moving in and moving furniture about, trying to do Granada, Sevilla and Cordoba as well, will probably end up in Competa some time for the restaurants, mind you I like the one in the square in Canillas de Albaida, they do a great black pudding in local honey..mmmmmmmmmh.

Laterz. BB

Bigbhudda69 Apr 22nd 2008 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69 (Post 6247910)
Hi Eve hang in there girl won't be long now.
My bit is doing good, more or less finished, going over for about 6 weeks in May/June...moving in and moving furniture about, trying to do Granada, Sevilla and Cordoba as well, will probably end up in Competa some time for the restaurants, mind you I like the one in the square in Canillas de Albaida, they do a great black pudding in local honey..mmmmmmmmmh.

Laterz. BB

Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread, not spoken to Eve for ages..forgiven ??

spanishfamily Apr 22nd 2008 3:54 pm

I really like the coast east of Malaga - it's very Spanish and relatively undeveloped. I think that to have a successful bar there you would definitely have to cater for Spanish tastes (e.g tapas), as UK tourists and second home owners are far fewer in number than west of malaga.

Hillybilly Apr 22nd 2008 4:46 pm

MichaelandDawn, I really can't work out if you guys are for real or not.

Over the time I've been reading your posts, you seem to want opinions every week on the latest place you've "found on the internet" in which to open your dream bar in the "sun sun sun". Have you been to any of these places yet? Even once?

If I've got this right, you're going to be selling your house in the UK and moving over here, needing to make a living in the most notoriously hard trade in which to make a living, in an area you don't know, with beginner's Spanish, and seemingly very little knowledge or market research? Please tell me I'm not right?

For that sort of possibly life-changing, financially-crippling, relationship-destroying decision and purchase you need to put in months and months (at least a year to account for the seasonal nature of the business) of thorough research and legwork, on the spot, not sitting at a computer in the UK.

I wish you all the best but just hope that you're not really as naive in life as you appear to be via this forum!

p.s. Running a bar, don't forget you won't be seeing much "sun sun sun"!

Lynn R Apr 23rd 2008 3:38 pm

I live in Velez-Malaga, not far from Algarrobo Costa, and I can tell you that the bars there, even the Spanish owned ones, are pretty quiet except during the main Spanish summer holidays as that is when Spanish second home owners come down to their apartments. Many of the apartments in Algarrobo Costa, Caleta de Velez and Torre del Mar are owned by Spanish families living elsewhere and there is a relatively small year round population of foreigners, including the British, in my opinion not enough to provide a viable year round trade.

kayley Apr 23rd 2008 9:05 pm

I live at Algarrobo Costa. In my view many of the bars/restaurants are quiet out of season, but the good ones do get steady custom.
You may need a "selling point". For instance, Jurgens has always done excellent steaks and very large portions at fantastic prices. Pippos does all round good quality, great steaks and has music evenings which appeal greatly to a German clientele of middle aged people who like a dance. Bar plata is kitted out nicely and does great beers. Viuda is always busy as the quality they offer is consistantly good.
If you have something good to offer there is no reason why you shouldn't do well. The area gets very busy in summer with many Spanish holiday makers, so you would need something that will appeal to them. However the all round trade is there, but you need something to appeal to all nationalities.
I think it is a better bet than a typically touristy area as the locals will be loyal to a good place.
I would love to know which place has caught your eye? There is one in particular that opens and closes regularly! I have a couple of thoughts on what went wrong the last couple of times and could also tell you about the things that the locals did like and appreciated. There's another that was very busy at one time and has gone downhill since, but could be great again.
Places like Nerja already have one of everything but somewhere like Algarrobo definitely has an opening for the right thing.
Good luck.

Eve Apr 24th 2008 7:33 pm

Hi Kayley,
It was nice to read your post, as I had mentioned in my earlier post I have a home in Competa, not there all the time but as often as possible. I have been to Algerobbo Costa but not that much. It was good to hear the names of places I had seen but not visited. Now I have a little more info on them maybe I shall check them out for myself. It is the nearest Costa to go to from Competa, which is ideal for an evening stroll on beach and a drink or a meal, very relaxing. tell me is Bar or Bistro Bravo still going. Sorren, I think that is how it is spelt used to be in Competa for a while and then moved down and opened Bravo, have been to it a couple of times but not for a meal, but I do know he is a brill chef as he has catered at a few parties I have been to in Competa.
While I have been there I have to say there is a lovely relaxing feel to Algerobbo Costa and I do like it.
Luv Eve
xx

kayley Apr 24th 2008 8:19 pm

Hi Eve. I'm afraid I wrote a very rambling post at the end of a long working day, and after a glass of wine too many!
Bar Bravo is still there. To be honest it is one I have been very disappointed with. Foodwise it started off wonderful, with great menu choices, but after a couple of weeks the menu changed to the same sort of thing that you could get anywhere. The service when it opened was atrocious, but we forgave that when the food was good. Eventually though we gave up. Some friends of ours tried it again recently, but were disappointed. Having said that, and having read what you have said, I may give it another try. He has made the place look very inviting, so he is obviously trying.
I think many people are put off of Algarrobo Costa because of the high rise buildings, but the paseo is lovely and the gardens are very well kept. In the summer there is a fabulous atmosphere with live music and craft stalls. Not just in the summer either,there were Christmas carols by a group of German singers in December, which was lovely!
Bar Plata have a live band once a month through the summer, (Accoustic Roots)and a meal there with the music is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. You do have to book a table though as its very popular. Pippo's usually have a chap on an electric organ on a Friday evening which is also very pleasant.
As you may be able to tell, I think it is a great area and well worth a visit.