Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alchemy, turning € to GBP

To be honest I got fed up waiting and loosing sleep having a mortgage to pay off at end of this year so on the last litle upturn when it got to where I knew I could pay off the mortgage booked my forwrd rate. Yes it could go up again but it could go even lower, at least now I know i can pay the mortgage off without having to add even more pounds!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

pedropat is an unknown quantity at this point

Me & my big mouth, I started this thread.

I still believe, & pray as I have a bet on, to benefit Help for Heroes, that the GBP will reach €1.25 come Michaelmas, when we farmers paid our dues, & eat roast goose. The new Governments are settling down, the people are revolting against austerity, rich counties repelled by their ingratitude.

I empathise with bobd22, & surprised he did not get more sympathetic replies.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Pedropat I hope for the sake of the Forces (being an ex) that your bet comes off and yes I agree that with what is happening in Greece you could be right. Only thing is with all this turmoil there you would think the £ could get above 1.15 but it struggles to get over 1.14 this seems to be the result of the interest rates, ours being so much lower than euroland. Of course with talk of euro rates going up again next month what effect will that have on weaker growth countries so called pigs? can they cope with higher rates suppose time will tell all. Prediction for UK rates going up is now not untill 2012 but who knows that either hence my decision, at least I know what ever happens I can pay my way. Final thing what if there wasn't this turmoil in Greece where would the £ be? my guess is probably 1 to 1
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:25 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If forecasted mass industrial action by public service employees goes ahead the value of the £ will surely plummet .
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:31 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

pedropat is an unknown quantity at this point

GUYS, I AM STILL WATCHING & WAITING, ALREADY, DOUBLED MY PLEDGE TO HUGH :- http://www.bmycharity.com/hughnortonhadrianswall, A WORTHY & GUTSY EFFORT, I WONDER IF HE "YOMPED" OVER THE MALVINAS, FOR MRS T ?

THE GREEKS ARE THE ANSWER & PROBLEM, IN THIS SITUATION. THEIR MODERN THERMOPYLAE., IF THEY CANNOT HOLD THEIR LINE, THEY ARE GONE

THEN MAY START A EURO TSUNAMI
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well the pound couldn't even dent the Euro over the last couple of weeks when it has been in turmoil and threatening to collapse now they have agreed to more austerity we are down to 1.10 what next. Interesting article also in the Mail other day stating what our friend Biggleswade said a couple of years ago, they the government want increased inflation to reduce the country's debt. Also now talk of even more quantaitive easing so good chance it will go even lower. Thing is they speak of benefit of having a weak pound but it doesn't seem to helping industry and certainly not retail as it seems ever day another co goes bust on the high street. We seem doomed at the moment I fear time is running out for Mr Osborne, after all 3 years ago he was slating Brown and Darling for failling to defend the pound and reminded them of a previous labour comment that the pound was a barometer for the state of Britain and a weak pound showed a weak Government, so Mr Osborne and King what does its current state show?
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the Government care about the low Pound neither do the majority of the Britih public.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:24 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't think the Government care about the low Pound neither do the majority of the Britih public.
Only us expats However, I think it speaks volumes about the confidence and impression that Britain has on the rest of the world not a lot!!!!! And here is Britain bailing out other countries, paying aid etc and it cant even hold its own currency up! Pretending to be something it isnt

Jo xxx
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you have a valid point so long as it doesn't drop too low against the dollar which obviously affects the oil/diesel price putting everything up. however anything imported from Europe costs more to the public and manufacturers which is where they have failed to capitalise on the week pound hence the need to weaken it again. Fine if no one in Britain buys anything outside of the UK or ever leaves the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:50 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Only us expats However, I think it speaks volumes about the confidence and impression that Britain has on the rest of the world not a lot!!!!! And here is Britain bailing out other countries, paying aid etc and it cant even hold its own currency up! Pretending to be something it isnt

Jo xxx
then perhaps it is about time that Britain cut its cloth to suit its people's pockets.

we are giving £millions in aid to allow countries to spend on arms, even India, who are sending all their unwanted people here to live in luxury, has a massive surfeit of grain going rotten as there are not enough warehouses whilst people are starving due to lack of grain. Its just a cynical ploy to get more aid from the Gullible British People.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So who will help Britain when we go under?my guess no one EEC will say not in the Euro America they're skint
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:19 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I leave it to top-class economists to decide whether the following article is sound, but the author is claiming that the Euro is set to soar still further. For anyone thinking of moving between the UK and the euro-zone, the message is hedge your currency/savings exposure. Otherwise the value of the income on your savings could (and the stress is on could) be cut still further. Or in other words, if you're going to be based in a euro currency country, and receiving your bills there, then it makes sense to have a good proportion of your savings in Euros, if possible. Of course no-one could blame you if you kept 10 or 20% back in the UK in case the Euro does go belly-up. Which has been claimed elsewhere. Confused? I know I am

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article29092.html

Many are going to receive this with skepticism. EURO is set to soar esp against the US dollar and UK pound.

As per the EU stat released debt maturity schedule of PIIGS, a total of 370 bn euros was paid in 2010 while 328 is set to be paid in 2011. What is important to understand though is that the amount due to be retired decreases to 96.5 bn euros in 2016.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:23 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I leave it to top-class economists to decide whether the following article is sound, but the author is claiming that the Euro is set to soar still further. For anyone thinking of moving between the UK and the euro-zone, the message is hedge your currency/savings exposure. Otherwise the value of the income on your savings could (and the stress is on could) be cut still further. Or in other words, if you're going to be based in a euro currency country, and receiving your bills there, then it makes sense to have a good proportion of your savings in Euros, if possible. Of course no-one could blame you if you kept 10 or 20% back in the UK in case the Euro does go belly-up. Which has been claimed elsewhere. Confused? I know I am

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article29092.html
The Times is saying Italy may well be the next to start throwing the excess baggage off the ship before it goes down.

is there a market for zlotty's ? ? ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.