Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Old May 3rd 2011, 12:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Originally Posted by JLFS
Any tips in that department would be of great value.
You could try some of these.

http://www.hennightparty.co.uk/hen-n...-Whips_662.htm

That gun looks especially interesting if she won't keep her gob shut.
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

1.11 on the afternoon news. UK not doing at all well.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:19 am
Just Joined

pedropat is an unknown quantity at this point

Worrying, could loose my shirt at this rate.

Nobody has mentioned the state of Spanish Savings banks, which are underfunded & have been told to combine.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Certainly not looking very good missed the boat at the end of January I think, still they were then all saying intrests were going up in May lock in mortgages in the UK etc, then what no uk intrest rise but ECB raises rates out of the blue. So although it's all doom and gloom at the minute suppose it could go other way quckly as well! You can but hope but I am trying to hang on to my shirt and its being pulled fairly hard at the minute.
Old May 4th 2011, 10:53 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
1 May 2011 8:11:07 PM Sell Amount GBP 5,369.13 Buy Amount EUR 6,000.00 Our Rate GBP/EUR 1.1175 (0.8949
Current Date & Time 1 May 2011 8:13:38 PM Sell Amount EUR 6,123.40 Buy Amount GBP 5,369.00 Our Rate EUR/GBP 0.8768 (1.1405)

Here is an example of the spread, always the same, I am not doing live forex trading, which of course is a much lower spread, what I do is wait for a shift in the market which of course has to be greater than the 123.40 difference between the 2 amounts. ie 1.1175 to -1.1405 which is eaten by the broker, any bigger than that is 10 quid ish for each point per grand ie 1.1405 to 1.1505

just one example is

23/1/09 6000 euros bought 5605.80 pounds .934

5/2/09 5606 pounds bought 6288.27 euros 1.1229

288 euros up on the transaction.
My broker does not agree that it is as easy as you suggest to make money by currency speculation >

Unless you are transferring large amounts there is no way to make money, on amounts around 1000 pounds/euros we buy 2% off market, that’s £20 roughly, we then charge £10 to send the money out, to get your money back you would need a sustained 3% swing in the market which is not that common.
If you are dealing with 50,000 I’m around 0.5% off market and therefore the market needs to move much less to get back your money plus maybe make some profit.
James Walton
Senior Dealer
Maybe you have a better broker than I?

Last edited by missile; May 4th 2011 at 11:07 am.
Old May 4th 2011, 2:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
My broker does not agree that it is as easy as you suggest to make money by currency speculation >

Maybe you have a better broker than I?
I dont have a broker, as in one who gives advice, after clicking on the "proceed" buttone, _I get a call from " a broker" but that is to confirm the transfer, thats all. That is the only contact I have with them, I used broker in the loose sense of the word. I transfer the money when the rate has shifted enough, I do not do it with 1k I do 6.

So it is not speculation it is simply moving my money form one of my account to another, to take advantage of the exchange rate.

As a non uni educated person, I dont understand about market swings, or anything like that, I just send money on a little journey then bring it home to daddy then when the time is right send it off on another round trip.

It really is very simple.

Last edited by JLFS; May 4th 2011 at 2:34 pm.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the simplest way is to run several different currency accounts with one building society.

It's worked well enough for me over the years, with one brief tel call when the time was exactly right or it can be done simply enough on line now.

The funds don't have to go tripping off anywhere, no fat commisions or fees, simply a matter of checking the exact rate you will get.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:05 am
Just Joined

pedropat is an unknown quantity at this point

Wey- hey & up she rises, after a disastrous spell, signs of green shoots.

After all the talk of betting , I asked who was keeping the book- even the echo fell silent.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:35 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pedropat

After all the talk of betting , I asked who was keeping the book- even the echo fell silent.
http://www2.williamhill.com/ will be pleased to take your money
Old May 6th 2011, 7:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats probably because next to no one has so far been able to accurately predict what the € will do against the £. Historically, when I asked the so called currency experts prior to buying, they almost always got the prediction wrong.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

You keep the book and I'm in. 10 euros for 1.25 at the end of September.
If I win all to Cystic Fibrosis.
Relies on a lot of trust.
Old May 6th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This appears to have had an effect as 1.14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13317770
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:35 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Back down to 1.12
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats probably because next to no one has so far been able to accurately predict what the € will do against the £. Historically, when I asked the so called currency experts prior to buying, they almost always got the prediction wrong.
True. I remember those heady days (2001?) when so called experts were predicting 2 euro to the pound. Last year they said we would be getting 1.35
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:44 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

isnt there a saying about ask 3 experts a question and get 4 different answers ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.