Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

airport fire service spain

airport fire service spain

Old May 29th 2007, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

jez w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default airport fire service spain

Hi there - 1st timer here in need of assistance.
My family and I are looking to move to northern spain/Tarragona region but I am having major difficulty in finding out ANYTHING at all on the Spanish Airport Fire Service/Rescue Fire Fighting Service.
This is my profession and I have conversational spanish (will be fluent by time moving) but after having trawled the web for hours I am amazed that I cannot find a single lead.
Does anyone have any knowledge/conacts in this sector??
I would be grateful for any assistance.

Jez w.
Old May 29th 2007, 7:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: airport fire service spain

Originally Posted by jez w
My family and I are looking to move to northern spain/Tarragona region but I am having major difficulty in finding out ANYTHING at all on the Spanish Airport Fire Service/Rescue Fire Fighting Service.
This is my profession and I have conversational spanish (will be fluent by time moving) but after having trawled the web for hours I am amazed that I cannot find a single lead.

Jez w.
I think the services only employ Spanish citizens, as yet I have never seen a non Spanish Policeman or Firefighter.
Old May 29th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough

Jez w.
You are almost right JDR. You can only be employed as a firefighter (don't know about the police) once you have passed the 'opposiciones' which is the exam required to work in any state owned arena. This is a very difficult exam that even citizens have trouble passing as it covers law, history, the constitution etc etc. People study for many years to pass the exam as it almost guarantees a job for life.
You would need to pass this and be exceptionally fluent in the language to even consider being able to join the fire service. You can sign up as a volunteer which requires you to work in the service for 4 years unpaid, at which time you can avoid having to do the exam but even to become a volunteer they like you to have had some experience in a similar field (red cross, civil protection etc.)
Your only avenue may be the airport fire service as they are privately owned so citizenship shouldn't be an issue. You'd need to find out who rund the Spanish airports (like BAA but here instead) and work in from there. If it's anything like the UK though it's a case of who you know
Old May 29th 2007, 7:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

This site may help, but its in Catalan, I have read somewhere, as jdr said that a requirement is that you must be Spanish.

E-mail them and ask.

http://www.gencat.net/interior/esc/d...cesbombers.htm
Old May 29th 2007, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
You are almost right JDR. You can only be employed as a firefighter (don't know about the police) once you have passed the 'opposiciones' which is the exam required to work in any state owned arena. This is a very difficult exam that even citizens have trouble passing as it covers law, history, the constitution etc etc. People study for many years to pass the exam as it almost guarantees a job for life.
You would need to pass this and be exceptionally fluent in the language to even consider being able to join the fire service. You can sign up as a volunteer which requires you to work in the service for 4 years unpaid, at which time you can avoid having to do the exam but even to become a volunteer they like you to have had some experience in a similar field (red cross, civil protection etc.)
Your only avenue may be the airport fire service as they are privately owned so citizenship shouldn't be an issue. You'd need to find out who rund the Spanish airports (like BAA but here instead) and work in from there. If it's anything like the UK though it's a case of who you know
thanks - great advice. I did hear that a company called Ferrovial had the Airport Fire Service contract in Spain but there is little on the web about this too. I know that Spains Aviation is under ICAO ( INTERNATIONAL CIVIL AVIATION ORGANISATION ) so transfer of skills shouldn't be an issue. How did you find out about the Airport side being private like here?
Thanks again - great start.
Jez w
Old May 29th 2007, 7:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - great advice. I did hear that a company called Ferrovial had the Airport Fire Service contract in Spain but there is little on the web about this too. I know that Spains Aviation is under ICAO ( INTERNATIONAL CIVIL AVIATION ORGANISATION ) so transfer of skills shouldn't be an issue. How did you find out about the Airport side being private like here?
Thanks again - great start.
Jez w
I looked at a website that does the courses and it does say as one of the requirements to.....Ser Espanol.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
This site may help, but its in Catalan, I have read somewhere, as jdr said that a requirement is that you must be Spanish.

E-mail them and ask.

http://www.gencat.net/interior/esc/d...cesbombers.htm
Thanks for that - i will email to see what they know but as cdl says I have a feeling that Aviation Firefighting is privatised but the link you sent should be able to confirm.
Thanks for your efforts.
JEZ W
Old May 29th 2007, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I looked at a website that does the courses and it does say as one of the requirements to.....Ser Espanol.
Are these aviation fire fighting courses? if so could I get the link from you? That would be a good place to contact as they will have direct access to the Airports.
Jez w
Old May 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
Straw Man.

Are these aviation fire fighting courses? if so could I get the link from you? That would be a good place to contact as they will have direct access to the Airports.
Jez w
The link above is the link to the Bomber services in Catalunya, I think they will be the best place to start asking, they would know more than all of us lot put together.

The site is in Catalan, there may be a Spanish translation on the site.