British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Airport delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/airport-delays-900945/)

Kentishladd Aug 1st 2017 6:36 am

Airport delays

Looking in the Daily Express this morning it would appear that there are significant delays affecting EU airports. As we are flying from Alicante this Friday does anyone have experience of these delays?
Thanks

lurchio Aug 1st 2017 7:42 am

Re: Airport delays

Did Alicante run with my wife for her visit to the UK and collected friends etc over the last three weeks, only delay in it all was due to thunderstorms, rest was smooth. The feeling is to get there in plenty of time at the check in desk.

Kentishladd Aug 1st 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by lurchio (Post 12306727)
Did Alicante run with my wife for her visit to the UK and collected friends etc over the last three weeks, only delay in it all was due to thunderstorms, rest was smooth. The feeling is to get there in plenty of time at the check in desk.

I'II be doing that anyway. Thanks.

johnnyone Aug 1st 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Kentishladd (Post 12306693)
Looking in the Daily Express this morning it would appear that there are significant delays affecting EU airports. As we are flying from Alicante this Friday does anyone have experience of these delays?
Thanks

My daughter's flight was delayed on Sunday for over an hour from Valencia to Stansted. Just to make matters worse it then took an hour to pick up their car from the on airport meet and greet reception.
I am leaving today and keeping my fingers crossed as it is a late flight.

spainrico Aug 1st 2017 4:06 pm

Something to do with additional security checks and shortage of staff according to Guardian article today - not only Spain

Loafing Along Aug 1st 2017 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12307000)
Something to do with additional security checks and shortage of staff according to Guardian article today - not only Spain

Exactly, new requirement to check database in Schengen Area for passport holders who are from outside the area.
Looks as if more a staffing issue , lack of sufficient border control personnel,than anything else.
New regulations will only be completely in place by October.

Fred James Aug 1st 2017 9:32 pm

It’s down to the UK refusing to join the Schengen area. If they had, there would not be these checks.

johnnyone Aug 2nd 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12307220)
It’s down to the UK refusing to join the Schengen area. If they had, there would not be these checks.

We flew home from Valencia last night. The flight was delayed for just under 2 hours due to the incoming flight arriving late.

However it was clearly too late for Spanish passport control as we went through totally unchecked as they had disappeared!

Just to make matters worse at Stansted we had to be bussed to the terminal and when we picked up the car the M11 southbound was shut causing major problems and the best part of another 1hour delay.

The joys of travel.

Loafing Along Aug 2nd 2017 12:38 pm

Not just a Schengen area issue - Heathrow and Gatwick coming apart as well for other reasons.

British Airways apologises for 'total chaos' due to system failure

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 2nd 2017 1:21 pm

Elements of the UK Press trying to imply that this is an EU conspiracy to "get" the British!

UK Border Force target times at LHR: EEA, 25 minutes, non EEA 45 minutes.

Golden Years Aug 2nd 2017 4:02 pm

Why can't the Spanish Authorities be given the passenger manifest before the plane leaves the UK or before the passengers arrive at the airport for the return journey?

They could do all the checks they need and flag up anyone they want to look at more closely and just pull those people out of the line for more enquiries.

It's what the Americans have done for years.

Loafing Along Aug 2nd 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12307787)
Why can't the Spanish Authorities be given the passenger manifest before the plane leaves the UK or before the passengers arrive at the airport for the return journey?

They could do all the checks they need and flag up anyone they want to look at more closely and just pull those people out of the line for more enquiries.

It's what the Americans have done for years.

Passenger Name Record ( PNR ) EU legislation : Council adopts EU Passenger Name Record (PNR) directive - Consilium
The UK and Ireland have opted in to this directive. Denmark is not participating.

Still in adoption phase, two years from approval date in 2016

Fredbargate Aug 2nd 2017 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12307050)
Exactly, new requirement to check database in Schengen Area for passport holders who are from outside the area.
Looks as if more a staffing issue , lack of sufficient border control personnel,than anything else.
New regulations will only be completely in place by October.

Queues at borders and lack of staff, How novel :rofl:

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 2nd 2017 5:33 pm

Tighter border controls should not apply when I’m going on holiday, insists angry Brexiter
:lol:

Kentishladd Aug 2nd 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12307822)
Queues at borders and lack of staff, How novel :rofl:

Well, I'm going this Friday and getting there in plenty of time. I'll keep you posted.