British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Airgibraltar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/airgibraltar-390152/)

Chiclanagir Aug 12th 2006 10:50 am

Airgibraltar

Someone picked up on another forum the fact that a new airline was going to operate from Gib starting in April next year flying to Manchester, Birmingham, Ireland and for me Bristol. Bookings hopefully starting in October. Thank you Yvonne for this gem. :p

BritBull Aug 14th 2006 11:52 am

Re: Airgibraltar

Originally Posted by glynis
Someone picked up on another forum the fact that a new airline was going to operate from Gib starting in April next year flying to Manchester, Birmingham, Ireland and for me Bristol. Bookings hopefully starting in October. Thank you Yvonne for this gem. :p

Yep, all fine if you don't mind landing on one of the shortest runways in the world :p

This will create havoc with the traffic as they close the roads when a plane takes off/lands, it is bad enough with one or two flights per day, any more will be a nightmare.

Chiclanagir Aug 14th 2006 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by BritBull
Yep, all fine if you don't mind landing on one of the shortest runways in the world :p

This will create havoc with the traffic as they close the roads when a plane takes off/lands, it is bad enough with one or two flights per day, any more will be a nightmare.

Well for some of us it is great news!

ironporer Aug 14th 2006 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by glynis
Well for some of us it is great news!

Is there really that great of demand for flights from Gib to the rest of the UK? I would have thought that most planes arrive/depart 3/4 empty now.

steve in pago Aug 14th 2006 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Is there really that great of demand for flights from Gib to the rest of the UK? I would have thought that most planes arrive/depart 3/4 empty now.

You would be surprised M8, i thought that & every time I've used it to mcr its been full both ways, any more news on that company Glynis do they have a web site etc

Chiclanagir Aug 14th 2006 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by steve in pago
You would be surprised M8, i thought that & every time I've used it to mcr its been full both ways, any more news on that company Glynis do they have a web site etc

Tried to find it with ww.flygibraltar.co.uk which is how it´s mentioned in the Euro Weekly News but no joy.

jaldridge Aug 14th 2006 6:32 pm

I don't think the website is up and running yet but you can get more info here:

Air Gibraltar

steve in pago Aug 14th 2006 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by jaldridge
I don't think the website is up and running yet but you can get more info here:

Air Gibraltar

cheers nice one just hope there reasonably priced ;)

CDL Ben Aug 15th 2006 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by steve in pago
cheers nice one just hope there reasonably priced ;)

Lets wait and see. Don't think they'll be as cheap as Ryaniar or Easyjet though as they are giving allocated setas and food on the plane (added costs) as well as leasing their planes and staff so larger profit margins required. Unless they manage to take a lot of freight, I can't see them being competitive. The same thing happened with the comany that flew out of Manston in Kent and they only lasted a year !!!

Nige Aug 16th 2006 5:57 pm

I heard that BA (GB Franchise) are pulling out of the Heathrow-Gibraltar route this Autumn. So that´s one less flight to cause havoc at the airport. :)

lindacooper147 Aug 17th 2006 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nige
I heard that BA (GB Franchise) are pulling out of the Heathrow-Gibraltar route this Autumn. So that´s one less flight to cause havoc at the airport. :)

They are just changing to 2 flights a day from Gatwick to Gibraltar instead of one from Heathrow and 1 from Gatwick. So same numbers of flights each day. They are obviously using their Heathrow slot for another route.

Mourinho Sep 19th 2006 6:57 pm

These boys must have known something , today an agreement was signed in Cordoba by Spanish / British government detailing development of Gib airport , will be an entrance on the Spanish side allowing direct access and will be tunnel built under existing runway , the border will have two lanes in , two lanes out and will have green and red channel to speed coming and going , all to be complete in the standard time given, 2 years .

jjh Sep 19th 2006 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mourinho
These boys must have known something , today an agreement was signed in Cordoba by Spanish / British government detailing development of Gib airport , will be an entrance on the Spanish side allowing direct access and will be tunnel built under existing runway , the border will have two lanes in , two lanes out and will have green and red channel to speed coming and going , all to be complete in the standard time given, 2 years .

Do you think that means that the UK are handing back Gib to the Spanish in the near future? I wonder!

Fred James Sep 19th 2006 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjh
Do you think that means that the UK are handing back Gib to the Spanish in the near future? I wonder!

No way - that is almost impossible.

This is a sensible agreement which benefits both the Gibbos and the Spanish.

Sovereignty is another issue which will not get resolved for another 100 years or so.