British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   air con (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/air-con-882049/)

stephen1962 Aug 19th 2016 7:37 pm

air con

hi,
had air con unit fitted a while back dont use it much , more for cold winter nights when im out in Spain
when they fitted it, they never added any extra gas , is that normal ?
looking to get a small unit in my bedroom fitted next week when im over
any recomendations please makes or fitters im Benevista between San Pedro and Estepona
:fingerscrossed:

VFR Aug 19th 2016 7:50 pm

Re: air con

Yes they come with enough gas to purge any air & still have enough to run the unit.

stephen1962 Aug 19th 2016 7:57 pm

thanks for reply
a friend said the unit would heat the apartment up if i left the doors open
i think it probably is good for my lounge only when its bitter, with the tall ceilings and marble floor

missile Aug 23rd 2016 4:38 pm

I would suggest you will need another form of heating. Have you considered an oil filled radiator or two?

stephen1962 Aug 23rd 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12033247)
I would suggest you will need another form of heating. Have you considered an oil filled radiator or two?

Hi yes I'm trying not to use them I find them expensive and not really that effective
Air con I'm told is a lot cheaper
And more effective also you have cold air in summer so no fans and oil radiators to store lol
Thanks

missile Aug 23rd 2016 5:22 pm

I am not convinced a/c is much more efficient than an oil filled rad. Certainly take a long time to save the cost of installation. installing a/c for heating only makes no sense to me

stephen1962 Aug 23rd 2016 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12033297)
I am not convinced a/c is much more efficient than an oil filled rad. Certainly take a long time to save the cost of installation. installing a/c for heating only makes no sense to me

I do tend to agree I think I feel that certain things I should have but don't need lol
I only use the place about 5 times a year so probably should suffer the oil filled heaters in the bedroom though I'm glad I have air con in the lounge
Regards

missile Aug 23rd 2016 5:33 pm

Each to their own. I have both and prefer gentle background heat generated by oil filled rad to a/c

Bo S Aug 23rd 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by stephen1962 (Post 12033302)
I do tend to agree I think I feel that certain things I should have but don't need lol
I only use the place about 5 times a year so probably should suffer the oil filled heaters in the bedroom though I'm glad I have air con in the lounge
Regards

The oil filled rads last forever and don't need servicing. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them but you can't beat the cold a/c during the hotter months.

stephen1962 Aug 23rd 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bo S (Post 12033379)
The oil filled rads last forever and don't need servicing. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them but you can't beat the cold a/c during the hotter months.

To true, also you don't have to store the air con in the wardrobe like the oil filled heaters, apartments have limited storage

Fred James Aug 24th 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12033297)

Aircon units are the most efficient form of electrical heating available. On the best units you can get 3kw out with only 1kw input. An oil filled rad will only give about 900w from 1kw.

missile Aug 24th 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12033837)
Aircon units are the most efficient form of electrical heating available. On the best units you can get 3kw out with only 1kw input. An oil filled rad will only give about 900w from 1kw.

I know all about heat pumps, but as I said I am not convinced that one would achieve anywhere near the manufacturer's claimed / theoretical maximum CP from a domestic A/C unit. My point was, even if true it would take a long time to recover the cost of installing A/C "for cold winter nights when im out in Spain".

tebo53 Aug 25th 2016 7:58 am

Portable gas heaters are extremely cheap to run and are efficient and effective.

Instant heat and versatile.

Steve

Fred James Aug 25th 2016 9:17 am

And you have the satisfaction that the cost of the gas is heavily subsidised by the government!

tebo53 Aug 25th 2016 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12034665)
And you have the satisfaction that the cost of the gas is heavily subsidised by the government!

Nice to get something out of the Spanish government :thumbsup: