Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Agency or Private Landlord?

Agency or Private Landlord?

Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agency or Private Landlord?

We are now in our final throws of sorting out our future retirement to Costa Blanca. As we are going to rent and quite happy to pay what is required and stick to the rules, we were wondering whether it's best to rent through private landlords that advertise in the local rags or better through an established letting agency?

My thoughts are that a private landlord might want to organise things with a 'nod & wink' and we might not get things repaired or replaced when required whereas an agency would quickly repair or replace so to maintain their reputation.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks for your opinions
Old Dec 26th 2013, 2:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agency or Private Landlord?

Originally Posted by tebo53
We are now in our final throws of sorting out our future retirement to Costa Blanca. As we are going to rent and quite happy to pay what is required and stick to the rules, we were wondering whether it's best to rent through private landlords that advertise in the local rags or better through an established letting agency?

My thoughts are that a private landlord might want to organise things with a 'nod & wink' and we might not get things repaired or replaced when required whereas an agency would quickly repair or replace so to maintain their reputation.

Thanks for your opinions
I've rented several properties in the past 10 years - I've always has an easier time with private lets from local Spanish landlords

if it was an absentee landlord who lives abroad then it might be better to go through an agency, though
Old Dec 26th 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53

Thanks for your opinions
My daughter (in England admittedly) rents through an agency. Whether it's the absent landlord or the agency who is culpable for the appalling repair situation on a leaky shower above theirs leaving them waiting months for repair and now repaired with a gaping hole above their shower and a mouldy shower room and damp flat. I don't know. but a landlord who stands up and takes responsibility for his/her property face to face would get my vote every time. If you want a paper trail you should ask for one. If they won't give you one you go somewhere else. If you will be working and paying taxes here, you do need the receipts with your landlord's NIF or NIE on as well as yours.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information and thoughts.

I will reply to the PM later and thanks for your info.

Plenty to consider
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
My daughter (in England admittedly) rents through an agency. Whether it's the absent landlord or the agency who is culpable for the appalling repair situation on a leaky shower above theirs leaving them waiting months for repair and now repaired with a gaping hole above their shower and a mouldy shower room and damp flat. I don't know. but a landlord who stands up and takes responsibility for his/her property face to face would get my vote every time. If you want a paper trail you should ask for one. If they won't give you one you go somewhere else. If you will be working and paying taxes here, you do need the receipts with your landlord's NIF or NIE on as well as yours.
Why?

My tenants have never asked for that specifically. Obviously my NIE (same as NIF) is on the contract - which I think it must be(?)

Maybe the contract is sufficient and they don't need a receipt each month.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 11:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why?

My tenants have never asked for that specifically. Obviously my NIE (same as NIF) is on the contract - which I think it must be(?)

Maybe the contract is sufficient and they don't need a receipt each month.
the contract is sufficient - that's what my gestor uses for my tax return
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think there is any guarantee dealing with a rental agency will give you greater options to get any repairs done etc. Many agencies will find the tenant take their fees and play no further part as the landlord will take over the management and want paying direct. So if you deal with an agent you need to understand if and what their ongoing role will be.

Naturally Spanish landlords will be reluctant to deal unless you can speak to them in Spanish and prove you have income to cover the rental costs.

I suggest you do not take any short cuts with Brits with a 'nod and a wink arrangement' get a proper legal contract for your own protection and if the landlord does not offer one think carefully before you enter in an arrangement or part with any money.

The only legal contract is one in Spanish - if you don't understand it get it translated.