Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Aftercare (When you have a Stroke in Spain)

Aftercare (When you have a Stroke in Spain)

Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aftercare (When you have a Stroke in Spain)

Would anyone like to share their experiences good or bad.
About treatment, aftercare, rehab, speech therapy, etc.
In the Spanish Health system.
Living in Spain.
Regards
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

baz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nice
Default Re: Aftercare (When you have a Stroke in Spain)

Hi Bigd, I had a stroke five years ago this Christmas. One minute I was a very man of 66 the next I was paralyzed down my left side. The cause was a brain hemorrhage. The wife was out shopping but I managed to get to the phone and call my mate, the ambulance arrived within 5-6 minutes, as I only live 5 minutes away from Denia hospital I was soon being diagnosed. I was in hospital for two weeks, don’t remember much as I was pretty delusional. As said I was paralyzed on my left side, couldn’t walk but thank god my speech was OK. I had six months of physiotherapy at Denia hospital. The ambulance came and picked me up twice a week and carried me up and down the steps at our house. When I got to therapy and saw all the other poor buggers I realized I was not alone and truth to tell we had some good laughs. Anyway, long story short my arm is still paralyzed and I cant walk (hobble) far in fact the way I walk would make Quasimodo look graceful.
To answer your question, the short and medium term care was good. The long term is probably better in the UK. Here you have to rely on family (wife). There are no social workers or meals on wheels dropping in. but Denia help where there with a wheelchair within minutes.
Hope this helps. Don’t hesitate to PM me.
Baz