British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Advise On Airport Runs Work And Estate Agency Work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/advise-airport-runs-work-estate-agency-work-281378/)

shaun&sue Feb 1st 2005 12:49 pm

Advise On Airport Runs Work And Estate Agency Work

Hello

we are moving to spain early next year and are both 42,and need to work. We are looking for advise on the above,so can we ask.

1) we have been told by an estate agent over there to work as a husband and wife team showing prospective buyers around properties and wining and dining them. Is there a demand for this and would it be only all commision only or do they give a basic salary too??

2) we are also thinking of doing the airport run thing but are unsure what you have to do to become legal to do it or do all expats simply do it illegally?

any advise appreciated

shaun and sue

sibsie Feb 1st 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Advise On Airport Runs Work And Estate Agency Work

Oh gawd, you just made me shudder!

I worked briefly for an estate agents in Spain, one of the bigger ones who does inspection trips.

You'll be a slave to them. You'll be at the airport in the early hours collecting people and basically holding them hostage so that no other agent can get to them. I wish I was exaggerating.

If you get a salary it will be low. If you get comission be prepared to have no expenses, no petrol allowance and a long wait for a paultry fee. Commission is spread between the telesales people, the sales people and anyone else who can beg a claim to it. The actual sales guy get the lions share and the other shares are pretty low.

When you say "Airport run" I take it to mean unlicenced taxi? I left a year ago and the police were clamping down heavily. As well as that you run the risk of seriously pissing off the Spanish taxi drivers who do have a licence and insurance.

Do yourself a favour and look for another line of work.

Manc Feb 1st 2005 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie

My Dad's mate retired to Malaga area 7 years ago. bought a mercedes and did the taxi run thing for 6 years.

no taxi license, no business insurance, cash in hand.

cash in hand..................

6 years of cash in hand

he's currently serving in a spanish jail for tax evasion and will be deported back to the UK on his release.

a little warning.

shaun&sue Feb 2nd 2005 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Manc
My Dad's mate retired to Malaga area 7 years ago. bought a mercedes and did the taxi run thing for 6 years.

no taxi license, no business insurance, cash in hand.

cash in hand..................

6 years of cash in hand

he's currently serving in a spanish jail for tax evasion and will be deported back to the UK on his release.

a little warning.

MMMMMMMM thought as much,we would want to do things legally,so need to find out how to get legal and do airport runs,etc..any ideas anyone??

shaun&sue Feb 2nd 2005 10:43 am

Originally Posted by sibsie
Oh gawd, you just made me shudder!

I worked briefly for an estate agents in Spain, one of the bigger ones who does inspection trips.

You'll be a slave to them. You'll be at the airport in the early hours collecting people and basically holding them hostage so that no other agent can get to them. I wish I was exaggerating.

If you get a salary it will be low. If you get comission be prepared to have no expenses, no petrol allowance and a long wait for a paultry fee. Commission is spread between the telesales people, the sales people and anyone else who can beg a claim to it. The actual sales guy get the lions share and the other shares are pretty low.

When you say "Airport run" I take it to mean unlicenced taxi? I left a year ago and the police were clamping down heavily. As well as that you run the risk of seriously pissing off the Spanish taxi drivers who do have a licence and insurance.

OK get your drift,think estate agents thing no good then.looks like trying to get legal with taxi/airport business then,hopfully just insurance cover but need to find out more.