Reload this Page >

Advice on where to live near Gib.

Advice on where to live near Gib.

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

12thmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Advice on where to live near Gib.

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been posted many times, and i apologies. I've tried but cannot really find what i'm looking for. so here goes.

My wife and i are looking to move to the south of spain and work in Gib. We just spend the last 4 days looking around La Linea and Gid itself. I've seen some of the comments on here prior to going and say i agree with some and not with others. Both are livable with good points and bad points. But essentially we want to live further north along the coast.

We are heading back in Jan and are planning to drive along the coast and stop at the towns we are considering. These include Santa Margareta, as we met an agency lady who had just moved there and gave us great reviews. We are also considering Sotogrande and Punta de la Chullera. Any further and the commute would probably be too long and we wnat to avoid that.

has anyone here moved to those areas and work in Gib that can give us a little heads up as to what the commute is like, the area they live in is like and in general what they spend their weekends doing as that would be a great indicator for local environment. We don't have kids but once in spain we can always move around if need be.

Hope this isn't too generic, and thanks in advance for you advice.

Regards,

12th
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on where to live near Gib.

Ok
Living in Spain and working in Gib means frequent crossings of the frontier which can be tedious at times ( mostly )

If you live close to Gib then walking or bus to the frontier and walking across is the easiest solution.

Further out and you will need a car, then you have to decide if you are going to drive into Gib wasting a lot of time in the queue or park in La linea and walk across, expense involved.

One of the preferred modes across the frontier is a motorcyle or scooter.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Have you managed to find work in Gib?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Have you managed to find work in Gib?
Not yet. We've met with a few agencies while out there. I work in IT with gaming, banking and telecoms background so i'm hoping it won't be that hard to come by. We can't move till a job comes in , towards the end of the financial year / start of the next one i'm pretty confident i could find something.

12th
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck 12th!

Job situation in Gib is getting worse, but there are still jobs out there if you have the right qualifications. Some of the agencies are not as good as they let on, so be a bit careful. A few of the gaming companies have had redundancies this year, two of them just in the last month.

In terms of living, it depends on what you are looking for La Linea is a great start to get your bearings right, as it allows you to easily walk across the border, the queues can be horrendous, especially in the mornings, and parking in La Linea can be difficult (especially Wednesdays for the market).

Santa Margarita has nothing in terms of faciltities, just rows upon rows of houses. Great communities though. Alcedeisa is the same, but you have a bar and restaurant ad soon a shop as well

If you move the other way, you have San Roque and Guadacorte, with more options and certainly more shops. And still within a nice drive to Gib. Downside is the refinery, but I have been told you are more affected in La Linea..

I know a lot of people do commute from Estepona, Sabi and so on, and have no problems and enjoy the drive in.

Best of luck with job hunt and deciding on where to live
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tinky
Best of luck 12th!

Job situation in Gib is getting worse, but there are still jobs out there if you have the right qualifications. Some of the agencies are not as good as they let on, so be a bit careful. A few of the gaming companies have had redundancies this year, two of them just in the last month.

In terms of living, it depends on what you are looking for La Linea is a great start to get your bearings right, as it allows you to easily walk across the border, the queues can be horrendous, especially in the mornings, and parking in La Linea can be difficult (especially Wednesdays for the market).

Santa Margarita has nothing in terms of faciltities, just rows upon rows of houses. Great communities though. Alcedeisa is the same, but you have a bar and restaurant ad soon a shop as well

If you move the other way, you have San Roque and Guadacorte, with more options and certainly more shops. And still within a nice drive to Gib. Downside is the refinery, but I have been told you are more affected in La Linea..

I know a lot of people do commute from Estepona, Sabi and so on, and have no problems and enjoy the drive in.

Best of luck with job hunt and deciding on where to live
Hi Tinky,

Thanks for you advice. I'm thinking we will start with La Linea like you say, to get our bearings and so forth.

thanks again for you comments

12th
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:51 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We used to live in the CDS and know a few people who lived in Spain and commuted to Gibraltar.

One family lived in Benahavis and he didn't mind the 30 min drive or so. He parked up in La Linea and walked the rest of the way. He used to get into work really earlier before most (about 7ish).

Another couple (wife worked in Gib in Accountancy). They lived in Duquesa which is a bit of a ghost town. Alot of empty properties. They also do property rentals which I could give you her details. She obviously knows Gib and Spain well.

My husband is in IT and couldn't get his foot in the door in Gibraltar. He got offered a job in the North of Spain in an IT multi-national which is where we are now.

But I hear once you get into Gibraltar, you can move about easy. Once you get known. Just need a lucky break - keep on and knock on doors. Make sure you have up to date certificates as most companies are keen on you being qualified and not just experienced.

All the best.