Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice Where to live, Inland

Advice Where to live, Inland

Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Where to live, Inland

Hi Guys and Gals - We are currently renting a Finca on the Costa del Sol inland from Fuengirola in Alhaurin El Grande. We would be happy to rent in A E G again or somewhere else on the Costa del Sol or elsewhere in Spain/the Costas. We don't want to live on the coast as we want to live in a Finca or similar inland. Can anyone recommend places that are countrified with good expat life, easy access that might fit the bill? Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of any of the inland towns/villages? Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of living in Monda for example??
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice Where to live, Inland

Hi Beverley
We live between Tolox and Alozaina, in a finca up in the mountains. There are other expats around but the community isn't as strong as AEG or Coin, some expats meet up for drinks in the local venta and organise a social life but we prefer to remain on the fringes. We don't subscribe to the 'little england in spain' ethos.
Hardly any of the locals speak any English and the last 18months has been a very steep learning curve and although we can't yet speak spanish well enough to have in depth conversations we can follow most of what is going on. Guaro and Monda are similar to our villages. If you have specific questions I will be happy to answer them or even meet up in a local bar/venta to talk about this area.

Sue
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:12 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I neither liked or disliked Monda, just nothing special about it. Plenty of expats and only about 15 mins from Marbella. Difficult to know what suits you. people just come on and say their pueblo is best
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sujee
Hi Beverley
We live between Tolox and Alozaina, in a finca up in the mountains. There are other expats around but the community isn't as strong as AEG or Coin, some expats meet up for drinks in the local venta and organise a social life but we prefer to remain on the fringes. We don't subscribe to the 'little england in spain' ethos.
Hardly any of the locals speak any English and the last 18months has been a very steep learning curve and although we can't yet speak spanish well enough to have in depth conversations we can follow most of what is going on. Guaro and Monda are similar to our villages. If you have specific questions I will be happy to answer them or even meet up in a local bar/venta to talk about this area.

Sue
I appreciate choosing where to live is entirely a personal choice, but the above highlights IMO a potential 'problem' if a location is not decided upon taking all things into consideration. I would find living somewhere where I could just about follow what was going on very unsatisfactory. I emphasise this is a wholly personal view, but I do know of people who have moved to rural areas in search of the 'finca dream' who have become very unhappy with their isolation, not only the language difficulty but the absence of amenities and basic infrastructure.
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking this course of action, only to advise careful thought be given to any chosen location.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:00 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Wise advice. Suprises me when people say they want to live amongst the Spanish yet don't speak the language. Will take a long time to be able to join in any meaningful conversations etc. OK. if you like to be joined at the hip with nearest and dearest, never pop out for lunch with a friend etc. and know bugger all what is happening...although ignorance is bliss. Still they will make a fuss of you seeing another guiri cash cow
Old Jun 19th 2013, 1:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

surprises me that people arrive in the UK without any knowledge of English but manage to get on alright, benefits, jobs, tax rebates, kids into school and can't speak English either.
But that don't matter, they are made welcome............................
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
surprises me that people arrive in the UK without any knowledge of English but manage to get on alright, benefits, jobs, tax rebates, kids into school and can't speak English either.
But that don't matter, they are made welcome............................
Do you know the reasons people come to the U.K? Some are economic migrants and just ask for a decent lifestyle for themselves and their families, others in the past have fled persecution, others just want to rejoin their families. And none of them benefit the country do they, by doing jobs that Brits don't want to do, bringing a wide range of skills to the NHS, London Transport and other areas.... And you say 'they get on alright'... all credit to them! Do you honestly think it is so easy being an immigrant, especially when immigrant bashing seems to be the national sport. Oh, and do you speak fluent Spanish, I wonder? Please don't hijack this forum, and can I respectfully request everyone else to answer my thread please and not be side-tracked - thanks.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sujee
Hi Beverley

Sue
Thanks Sue for your very kind offer. We're just getting some options together at the moment. Should we decide to add your area to the list we'll certainly come back to you if that's O.K.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:18 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beverleyp
Do you know the reasons people come to the U.K? Some are economic migrants and just ask for a decent lifestyle for themselves and their families, others in the past have fled persecution, others just want to rejoin their families. And none of them benefit the country do they, by doing jobs that Brits don't want to do, bringing a wide range of skills to the NHS, London Transport and other areas.... And you say 'they get on alright'... all credit to them! Do you honestly think it is so easy being an immigrant, especially when immigrant bashing seems to be the national sport. Oh, and do you speak fluent Spanish, I wonder? Please don't hijack this forum, and can I respectfully request everyone else to answer my thread please and not be side-tracked - thanks.
and what the flying fish brought that one on.
especially as my comment was a comment contrary to Jacky - but then you didn't shout at her.

Immigration is something that has been around since man came out of Africa.
People move to different places, within or outside their original country.
I am not bashing anyone, just making the point that the UK has a number of people who arrive without much (or any English) and still get on OK. They get access to the services a modern country offers, including jobs. Yes, they use the services of people from their own nationality as well as others. And they stay to bring up their families and make a life for themselves.
The same applies to the Brits who come to Spain, for whatever reason(s). But then there aren't many, if any, countries where you will not find a Brit living on his own.

No, I am not fluent in Spanish - but without any help have managed to register on the padron, register for a NIE, matriculate my car, register with INSS, Medico (including chasing up a recalcitrant Tarjeta). I do not live in an English enclave, I stand on my own 2 feet in this beautiful country and do not go running to the nearest expat or gestor for assistance. And I am not a spit and a throw away from Malaga but 33km north of Granada - really inland. So I understand what Sujee is saying.

But then I have been to many countries, spent 5 years in the Far East, and all without treating the "locals" as idiots because they can't speak English. So I do know what it is like to be a foreigner in a strange land, even if my first time here was over 30 years ago.

Enjoy
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

I will tell you why I replied in that way. First of all people are forever saying these things, which O.K. may be true in a minority of cases, just as it is true of a minority of Brits here who don't pay their community charge or who run around in cars that have not been matriculated, and those things, of course are plain dishonest. However, most people whatever their nationality are hardworking, honourable and decent and just want the best for themselves and their families. Secondly, believe it or not just the day before yesterday I bumped into some people I know in the street and yes you've guessed it, on and on they went about all the non Brits in the UK who take our jobs etc, etc. Does anyone ever say "I'm really grateful to my Asian doctor...? The other thing is Domino if you live nr Granada, inland why didn't you reply to the actual thread which was 'Advice, Where to live, Inland'?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by beverleyp
I will tell you why I replied in that way. First of all people are forever saying these things, which O.K. may be true in a minority of cases, just as it is true of a minority of Brits here who don't pay their community charge or who run around in cars that have not been matriculated, and those things, of course are plain dishonest. However, most people whatever their nationality are hardworking, honourable and decent and just want the best for themselves and their families. Secondly, believe it or not just the day before yesterday I bumped into some people I know in the street and yes you've guessed it, on and on they went about all the non Brits in the UK who take our jobs etc, etc. Does anyone ever say "I'm really grateful to my Asian doctor...? The other thing is Domino if you live nr Granada, inland why didn't you reply to the actual thread which was 'Advice, Where to live, Inland'?
well here's one for you - for a number of years i had the services of a GP who was Indian, we got on really well, he introduced me to reading of the Koran, and to be honest the practice went downhill after he left to retire "back home". (one of his original colleagues hinted as much to me).

why didn't I make a direct reply? well as I said before I made a counter comment to that made by Jacky - which I felt was wrong.
but you have indicated that you would like to stay in the coastal "inland" of the CDS, out here in the sticks it is much much different - funny Spanish accents differing from village to village. Local festivals that bear no relationship to those in the next town, markets every week (Thursdays), travel mostly by bus (well at €1.85 each way for 33km into the big city, when it costs more than that to park the car, without the cost of petrol etc).

we only chose this place because it was convenient for work, and work came up out of the blue. We had already done Barcelona, Granada, Seville, as exploratory visits. But we don't regret it. And as a pensioner my presence is a nett gain to the Spanish economy. I buy food, drink etc locally. The NHS pay for my medical. I have obeyed all the local laws/rules about cars and people registration etc. So I am providing work for the Spanish and paying them for the privelege of being here. The only things I "take" from Spain are the sun, the rain, the cold, the local radio and their terrestial television.

So Bev, where do you really want to live? Where you already know or take a walk on the wild side ??
`
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I "take" from Spain are the sun, the rain, the cold, the local radio and their terrestial television.
`
And the subsidized bus service

And a job for your OH

I get your point but your argument is the same one that many British expats use as an excuse for not paying taxes
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by cricketman
And the subsidized bus service

And a job for your OH

I get your point but your argument is the same one that many British expats use as an excuse for not paying taxes
if I was living in the UK I wouldn't be paying for the bus,

matriculating my car to meet Spanish requirements cost €2000 and the OH's car a further €750. Their use requires fuel etc. All into the Spanish economy, as is the cost of using car wash, servicing, insurance etc....

I do not import anything "British" for food, eating exactly what the Spanish eat, although i may cook it slightly differently. In fact only the other day I was in the greengrocers queue behind a Chinese lady from the new Chinese Bazaar down the road.

This is exactly the same as for any other immigrant in Spain or the UK, France, Italy etc. Their presence provides income to that country's economy, anything they get back depends on the country and the level of their integration.

But the one thing we do not have, here or back home (wherever that may be) is proper political representation, we have no MP, no Councilman, no MEP.

Are you suggesting I am not paying taxes
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting I am not paying taxes
No but it sounds like you want Spain to give you a medal simply for existing

The influx of foreigners to Spain or any other country isnt particularly positive or negative. It always depends on which way you look at it and is impossible to summarise objectively
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cricketman
No but it sounds like you want Spain to give you a medal simply for existing

The influx of foreigners to Spain or any other country isnt particularly positive or negative. It always depends on which way you look at it and is impossible to summarise objectively
unlike you I don't need a medal - already have a few from a previous life thank you

and just remember that because you have married into the country doesn't mean you are immune or secure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqTUFSesBM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.