Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice on small electricals

advice on small electricals

Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of
Default advice on small electricals

Hi there, I'm new to this!! I am having a house built in hondon de las Nieve and plan to move over next July/August. Can anyone out there tell me if my small electricals (kettle,iron,toaster,microwave) will work if i bring them over and simply change the plugs? Also, I was planning on driving over and once settled trade in my UK car for a Spanish lhd, is it easy enough to trade in UK rhd cars?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on small electricals

We bought all our electricals and as you say just changed the plugs with no problems.UK right hand drive are pretty well worthless here, sell in the UK and then buy here.

Good luck with your move
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply. Know doubt I will be back with more questions!! Great to be able to get advice from those who have already had the experience
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

small electricals kettles,irons,toasters,microwaves etc will work if you change the three pin plugs for two pin plugs. But be aware that the appliance will not be earthed.
Modern Spanish appliances are earthed by means of a metal strip on the new type round "moulded" two pin plug making contact with a spring loaded earth terminal in the sockets.
As far as I'm aware this type of two pin plug only comes ready fitted with the appliances.
I may be wrong, but I'm sure the only "seperate" plugs available to buy and fit are the old flat type plugs. (without the earth strip)

Last edited by big wheels; Nov 13th 2007 at 10:01 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
I may be wrong, but I'm sure the only "seperate" plugs available to buy and fit are the old flat type plugs. (without the earth strip)
No, you can buy the two pin plus earth plugs easily in any supermarket or ferreteria.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, you can buy the two pin plus earth plugs easily in any supermarket or ferreteria.
Yep. Fred's right, also you may be better off just buying the adaptors, any ferreteria in an area such as hondon will have them for about the same price as the plugs, this will save time and the possibility of making mistakes, just make sure you get the type with the earth as Fred says.

On the Car Issue, RHD here in Spain are pretty much worthless, and P/Ex will be minimal, you may be better advised to try to exchange at dealers in the UK such as the LHDEssex, Midland Left Hand drive, and the The Lefthanddriveplace, Basingstoke, dont forget the import costs thought can cost a few bob!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that. Re the car - Can I give a couple of examples then get advice from someone please? 1. Say i buy a LHD from a neighbour in spain (private sale) what is involved in ownership/registration etc? 2. Buy LHD in UK and bring it over 3. Go to a garage in Spain and buy a LHD - what would be the best way to have a car in Spain please?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
Thanks for that. Re the car - Can I give a couple of examples then get advice from someone please? 1. Say i buy a LHD from a neighbour in spain (private sale) what is involved in ownership/registration etc? 2. Buy LHD in UK and bring it over 3. Go to a garage in Spain and buy a LHD - what would be the best way to have a car in Spain please?
We personally are going with 3
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SueG
We personally are going with 3
Ive done all three and the best deal was buying off a neighbour who was returning to the UK, Got a Ford Galaxy. TDI good condition 146K on clock for 2000€, 220€ to rereg using a Gestor. but that is the first bargain I have seen in 4 years.

I found the buying LHD in UK very cost effective also, saved about 3000€ on local dealers after paying all the import fees etc.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Yep. Fred's right, also you may be better off just buying the adaptors, any ferreteria in an area such as hondon will have them for about the same price as the plugs, this will save time and the possibility of making mistakes, just make sure you get the type with the earth as Fred says.
If you have lots of things e.g. hifi, TV, etc, all you need to do is bring some multi-way trailing adaptors from the UK. That way you can plug many UK appliances into it - and then plug the single UK plug into the wall via an adaptor.

Some people swap the UK plug for a CEE7/4 "two-pin plus side earth" plug - I wouldn't recommend it as you'd lose the 13A fuse that's in the UK plug and could dangerously overload the trailing lead (the German CEE7/4 is rated at 16A and may be on a 20A radial).