Reload this Page >

Advice required, thinking of moving to Spain

Advice required, thinking of moving to Spain

Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Sunshine_Desserts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice required, thinking of moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Moses2013
At first both wages together sound decent for Spain, but if it's decent for Spain is irrelevant. You have to look at your life and expectations and what I find very important is your age. For example, do you have career goals, are you aiming to save for a home, or want security in the future (family maybe). You say no pension and what happens after the 10 months, or if one of you lost the job? Smithy73 wrote "Our council tax went from 2400 pounds a year to IBI 580Euros for example"

Well to be honest, we don't even pay €580 for a 4 bed house in Ireland, so even the €580 sounds expensive to me and maybe pointless to know in your case. As you can see, we're all different.
We already have a home (mortgage) and we definitely do not want a family. We're 28 and 30 so it's possible for us to give it a go for a year and see if we like it/ if it's feasible. We've got enough savings to keep us going for a few months if i lost the job.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice required, thinking of moving to Spain

Thanks

Very interesting to know
Maybe the move to Spain needs to wait until I can afford a house outright

Originally Posted by Sunshine_Desserts
Hi Tony - I've been trying to secure a job in Spain because my husband and I want to go somewhere warm and beautiful and we like Spanish culture, also his employer is based here in the UK so he'll need to come back regularly so we can't go further away than Spain. It's a pain getting a job in a Spanish international job - you can't get a job in a Spanish school without a lot of complications. I've been following posts on the TES, Spanish international schools are slated for being low paid, corrupt and likely to fire staff without cause or notice. The wage i've been offered is fairly standard but some offer a little more and 12 month contracts but the 10 month is common. I'd not make the move if you are the bread winner. There is no salary scale or pension. If you need money, i would not go to spain and teach in an international School. You can't negotiate - the head did tell me that after a year paying into the system you can claim Spanish dole for the summer and also summer camp and bonuses also possible.

It seems tuition is big on the costa del sol, too. Hope this helps.