Reload this Page >

Advice required for Celiacas Disease

Advice required for Celiacas Disease

Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jamtart98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice required for Celiacas Disease

Hi Fellow Ex Pats.

Today I,ve been diagnosed as having Celiacas Disease and put on a strict Gluten Free diet for the rest of my life.
Not the end of the world but as someone who likes his puddings,cakes,chocolate etc. it is a bit of a disaster.
However I have to accept it and adjust to a new way of eating.

So. FIrst of all having poured over the internet for information on this illness I have,nt seen anything about drinking tea,coffee or milk. I have to drink decafineited drinks so am still ok to drink tea,coffe and milk?

Can anyone advise me of cafes,bars and restaurants in the Fuengirola area which cater for Gluten free diets?

Also shops and supermarkets who do a reasonable stock of gluten free items.

I know ex-pat members are always very helpful so I look forward to advice and help with this problem.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:56 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required for Celiacas Disease

My mother was a serious coeliac and I have traits too, so generally avoid flour and wheat products. Carrefour have a good range of "sin gluten" products, in fact most supermarkets stock items that have the "sin gluten" label. As for restaurants, I've not really found any that are particularly sympathetic to the condition. The best thing to do is eat and drink simple foods without any sauces or seasoning. Many foods have hidden flour coverings and coatings - some roast potatoes, chips, gravy etc. Even the restaurants cant always know cos they buy them in from wholesalers.

You should have no problem drinking anything that doesnt contain flour. So tea, coffee, milk, fizzy drinks, juice should all be fine. Anything that doesnt have wheatflour!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Many Thanks for your help and advice. This is the kind of information I need to help me adjust to this new style of eating.

As you say eating out will be a big problem when much care will be needed in selecting from menus.

Thanks again.

Ronnie x
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:54 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Bought some Gluten free flour from Mercadona this week, it's like corn flour, very smooth, and expensive for flour at 1 95, makes crap pastry and bread.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:00 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Bought some Gluten free flour from Mercadona this week, it's like corn flour, very smooth, and expensive for flour at 1 95, makes crap pastry and bread.

LOL, have you ever tried the perscription gluten free bread in the UK - its horrendous stuff LOL!!! I've got used to simply avoiding the manufactured gluten free stuff. Theres loads of stuff you can eat, you just have to get used to not having sandwiches, cakes, etc. Its the hidden flour that can be difficult - for example, my mum became "poorly" after eating some ready grated cheese cos they'd put flour in it to prevent it sticking and some frozen roast potatoes which had been dusted in flour to make them crispy!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bread I,m going to miss.Can,t believe the price of it.Bought two "loafs" (bekker) in mercadona tonight 2.20 each, fourteen tiny slices. I,ll go through a loaf a day so the shopping bill is going to be around double the usual. My brother is celiac too and resides in Scotland where they get their pan on prescription.As you say too it,s the "hidden" gluten that is the danger so I,ll have to be on my guard with these things and I guess reading labels thoroughly is going to be another thing I,ll have to learn to do. Phew!!!!