Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Old May 16th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice
Default Re: Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Hi all,
I know that this is a subject that seems to get everyones back up, but one which we would value any advice or recomendations on nevertheless.

Our house is now sold, contracts are exchanged, and we are completing on 17th June. We will stay with our daughter for a coupl;e of weeks to tie up loose ends and have our ferry crossing booked for 5th July.

My query is this. We were going to tax the car for 12 months (due end of July) so that we could get the MOT done before we go to ensure we have continued insurance coverage and are driving legally. We have temporary rented accomodation lined up for us in Spain, but will be looking for alternative accomodation while when we get out there.

We don't know whether we should change the address details on the car documentation (and driving licenses) to our daughter's address (staying with her after we move from here), or whether to just leave the address as it is until we get permanently located in Spain. Although we understand that the car should be Spanish registered regardless, by 6 months.

If we change details now, paperwork could be playing catchup with us for months so don't really know what we SHOULD do. What is the best way around this dilema?

Would appreciate your suggestions, I know there are plenty of you out there that will be able to answer this query. Thanks guys!!

Love Chris XXX
Hi Chris,
Have thought about talking to the LHD dealers in the UK about trading yours in?

Ref. Rear fog and reversing lights. If you are lucky, these lights are already fitted so will only need some wiring.

Good luck in what ever route you take. I wish we could join you.
Old May 16th 2009, 6:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I know that this is a subject that seems to get everyones back up, but one which we would value any advice or recomendations on nevertheless.

Our house is now sold, contracts are exchanged, and we are completing on 17th June. We will stay with our daughter for a coupl;e of weeks to tie up loose ends and have our ferry crossing booked for 5th July.

My query is this. We were going to tax the car for 12 months (due end of July) so that we could get the MOT done before we go to ensure we have continued insurance coverage and are driving legally. We have temporary rented accomodation lined up for us in Spain, but will be looking for alternative accomodation while when we get out there.

We don't know whether we should change the address details on the car documentation (and driving licenses) to our daughter's address (staying with her after we move from here), or whether to just leave the address as it is until we get permanently located in Spain. Although we understand that the car should be Spanish registered regardless, by 6 months.

If we change details now, paperwork could be playing catchup with us for months so don't really know what we SHOULD do. What is the best way around this dilema?

Would appreciate your suggestions, I know there are plenty of you out there that will be able to answer this query. Thanks guys!!

Love Chris XXX
Once ount here and you get registrered on the local padron, then you only have 30 days to re register, incidentally from 1st June the Traffico are going to be able to check the legality of you UK plated car by logging onto the DVLA register, so if it isn't legal in the UK, then it will be flagged
Old May 16th 2009, 9:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Once ount here and you get registrered on the local padron, then you only have 30 days to re register, incidentally from 1st June the Traffico are going to be able to check the legality of you UK plated car by logging onto the DVLA register, so if it isn't legal in the UK, then it will be flagged
Anyone has had access to the DVLA database for at least 2 years. You enter the reg number and it tells you the tax status.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...vent=link.next

The 30 days only applies if you want to avoid the registration tax - otherwise you have up to 6 months.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kaff99,

I have to agree with you on that and can't say I am looking forward to driving a RHD over there, but can't afford to change it so will just have to be extra cautious. Unless of course the right 6 numbers come up later this evening! Or maybe we could learn to drive backwards? Your concern is, however, much appreciated and we will definately heed the warning re overtaking.

Chris XXX
Having driven both LHD and RHD drive cars in Spain I have to say that I found the RHD a lot safer to drive than LHD, particularly on mountain roads and campo tracks. Ok so you need to be a little more careful when overtaking for which there are few opportunities on mountain roads and you just wouldn't on a track. Of course toll booths will be a bit of a pain but personally I will take my RHD and get it onto Spanish plates. Also my wife much prefers being in the middle of the road rather than looking over the edge.

When you also factor in the ridiculous cost of second hand cars in Spain it's a no brainer, for me anyway. In fact last week I had the headlights changed in preparation for our move in a couple of weeks time.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, I think you will struggle to get UK insurance cover if you are living in Spain.
Also if the Guardia suspect you have moved out here permanently there is no reason why they can`t take your car to the pound until you come up with the required paperwork regardless of time you have been in Spain.
Old May 17th 2009, 1:51 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Chris, I think you will struggle to get UK insurance cover if you are living in Spain.
Also if the Guardia suspect you have moved out here permanently there is no reason why they can`t take your car to the pound until you come up with the required paperwork regardless of time you have been in Spain.
Hi all,

Jimmbo, we can't afford to change our car, and the one we have has been completely reliable hence the dilema. But thanks for the suggestions and good wishes.

JDR, We have checked with our insurance company and they advised (as did the breakdown cover) that we would be covered on our insurance up until we register in Spain. At which point we are regarded as not being UK residents. Naturally, once we are registered as resident in Spain, we would have to deal with re-registering the car and all that goes with it. plates, Spanish MOT, lights, tax, insurance etc.

The only reason for delaying re-registering, is that we know there will be a lot of immediately required formalities and things to do. Not least of which is to find ourselves some permanent accomodation. But as we had to MOT and retax the car before we leave, we just thought it would give us a few months to sort evrything else out first. Also weren't sure whether the department dealing with re-registering shut down for the month of August like many do. Could anyone advise on this please? And as these things tend to take as long as they take, we thought we would wait until September to re-register. Did I make ANY sense there at all? Lol! If not, apologies to all I have managed to confuse! Myself included!

I am now going to lay down in a darkened room for a while! Lol!

Love Chris XXX
Old May 17th 2009, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Jimmbo, we can't afford to change our car, and the one we have has been completely reliable hence the dilema. But thanks for the suggestions and good wishes.

JDR, We have checked with our insurance company and they advised (as did the breakdown cover) that we would be covered on our insurance up until we register in Spain. At which point we are regarded as not being UK residents. Naturally, once we are registered as resident in Spain, we would have to deal with re-registering the car and all that goes with it. plates, Spanish MOT, lights, tax, insurance etc.

The only reason for delaying re-registering, is that we know there will be a lot of immediately required formalities and things to do. Not least of which is to find ourselves some permanent accomodation. But as we had to MOT and retax the car before we leave, we just thought it would give us a few months to sort evrything else out first. Also weren't sure whether the department dealing with re-registering shut down for the month of August like many do. Could anyone advise on this please? And as these things tend to take as long as they take, we thought we would wait until September to re-register. Did I make ANY sense there at all? Lol! If not, apologies to all I have managed to confuse! Myself included!

I am now going to lay down in a darkened room for a while! Lol!

Love Chris XXX
Chrisw

This sounds a bit vague - did you insurance company not give you a specific period of time?

When I brought my car to Spain - I asked my broker how long are we able to be insured and they told me 60 days.

This gave us enough time to :

1) find a long term rent,
2) get NIEs for the kiddies for the empadron
3) sign on the empadron
4) enrol kiddies at the school
5) re-registered the car

We avoid registration tax on the car because our empradon was dated less than 6 months. I think the time period has changed to 3 months now. Thats something you have to get used to - rules changed constantly and its hard to know everything even lawyers can't keep up with the rules changes.

K
Old May 17th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

CASTROLSTORM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Im moving to costa blanca soon. what happens if i buy a SPANISH registered car in the UK, and drive it down. I already have NIE.
cheers
Old May 17th 2009, 3:50 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Originally Posted by kaff99 View Post
Chrisw

This sounds a bit vague - did you insurance company not give you a specific period of time?

When I brought my car to Spain - I asked my broker how long are we able to be insured and they told me 60 days.

This gave us enough time to :

1) find a long term rent,
2) get NIEs for the kiddies for the empadron
3) sign on the empadron
4) enrol kiddies at the school
5) re-registered the car

We avoid registration tax on the car because our empradon was dated less than 6 months. I think the time period has changed to 3 months now. Thats something you have to get used to - rules changed constantly and its hard to know everything even lawyers can't keep up with the rules changes.

K

Hi all,

Bob_day, sorry, I forgot to thank you for your comments. They were very reassuring and most helpfull. Many thanks.

Kaff99, you may be right with regard to the 60 day time restriction. It has been SUCH a long time since I checked with them We will have to contact them again anyway so will clarify that point. Cheers!

Also Kaff99, "Empadron" ? I take it this is registration, but "sign non at the empadron" ? Not sure what that is and it looks like I am going to have to go back to the beginning with everything as what I have picked up is probably now out of date. As you say things are changing all the time. In the meantime, could you enlighten me as to the "registration tax"? The only tax re registration I can think of is when you import a car under 3 years old? Or are you referring to payment made in regard to re-plating?
Please excuse my ignorance, but our house had been on the market for 3 years before we sold it. You can imagine how much has changed during that time! I tried to keep up with changes, but as time progressed, got fed up of trying to remember each updated piece of information and gave up! Thanks very much for your help Kaff99!!

love Chris XXX
Old May 17th 2009, 3:54 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

Smile Re: Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Mikelincs and fredjames,

Just reread and can see your references registration and padron. I really think I had better go back to "free beer" and start from scratch as I seem to be totally at a loss with the entire process now!
Thanks for the input.

love Chris XXX
Old May 17th 2009, 3:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CASTROLSTORM View Post
Hi Im moving to costa blanca soon. what happens if i buy a SPANISH registered car in the UK, and drive it down. I already have NIE.
cheers
you may have problems transferring it, also if you buy a car without the full chacks, you could find ourself liable for any unpaid fines etc as the fines go with the car. Gestors can find that info out here, but maybe not from the UK.
Old May 17th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

CASTROLSTORM is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers! this is a minefeild, innit?
so can I fly into, say ALICANTE, with my money, and NIE, then drive a car away from the nearest car dealer, or is it not that easy?
cheers RICK
Old May 17th 2009, 4:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CASTROLSTORM View Post
cheers! this is a minefeild, innit?
so can I fly into, say ALICANTE, with my money, and NIE, then drive a car away from the nearest car dealer, or is it not that easy?
cheers RICK
You will need a Spanish address where they can send the paperwork on to, as this has to go to trafico to sort out first.
Old May 17th 2009, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Also Kaff99, "Empadron" ? I take it this is registration, but "sign non at the empadron" ? Not sure what that is and it looks like I am going to have to go back to the beginning with everything as what I have picked up is probably now out of date. As you say things are changing all the time. In the meantime, could you enlighten me as to the "registration tax"? The only tax re registration I can think of is when you import a car under 3 years old? Or are you referring to payment made in regard to re-plating?
Sorry for not being clear on this - The Empadron is a certificate from the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento). You go on the list as living in the area.

To get the Certificate you need NIEs and a rental agreement.
To get NIEs you have to go to the Police Station.

As for the registration tax - our car was just over 3 years old when we re-registered it. I am not clear on the rules on this - maybe someone else on the forum knows the current rules on this now.

In our situation I was told that - IF we were living in Spain for more than 6 months you would have to pay tax on it.

We paid a company to do the work for us and they applied for a Tax exemption Certificate.

Hope this is clearer.
K
Old May 17th 2009, 4:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Have a read HERE about changing UK plates to Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.