Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice please re car purchase and insurance

advice please re car purchase and insurance

Old Jul 28th 2018, 10:34 am
Just Joined

gemscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice please re car purchase and insurance

I am moving to salobrena (near motril) end of 2018 and will need to get a car quite quickly - I assume its probably easier to just go to a garage, can I haggle the price down? - also will they sort out all the paperwork? - what about insurance

any help guidance would be very kind
Old Jul 28th 2018, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please re car purchase and insurance

You cannot take legal ownership of a car until you have an NIE number because it is a taxable asset. Yes, any good dealer will be able to arrange all the paperwork and arrange insurance. Price haggling is not always so common, just depends on the day and the deal I guess. Many car dealerships are pushing finance these days where they make a commission. Good luck.
BTW make sure you deal with a reputable dealer and not some 'back street deal' remember here if the car is not legitimate you could inherit outstanding fines and have other problems and also here 2nd hand values are higher than the UK.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 12:12 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Do not rush into a hasty purchase. Hire cars are very cheap in Spain.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Have you any idea of the car you want ?

Web sites like this one : https://www.coches.com/coches-segunda-mano/ serve as a good guide to what is available and at what price.
As a BTW would not take insurance from a car dealer , will be more expensive than brokers such as Ibex - they deal with many Expats.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

first thanks for all your help - really appreciated

I have an NIE which has expired as I used it to buy a flat so I guess I could go to the police station and get it renewed

I did think about hiring a car however my experience so far is that these companies try to get you for damage that was already there - so not had a great experience - if you could suggest a good fire alternative then that would be good to research as it would buy me time

how does IBEX or brokers work - do I need to pop into their offices of can I do this online or on phone using English - I have long no claims in UK but not sure I can get any benefit in Spain

re the type of car I was need something reliable ideally with decent storage - given the parking around where I am I am sure it will get lots of scrapes and dents in the street

Last edited by gemscot; Jul 28th 2018 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemscot

I have an NIE which has expired as I used it to buy a flat so I guess I could go to the police station and get it renewed

I did think about hiring a car however my experience so far is that these companies try to get you for damage that was already there - so not had a great experience - if you could suggest a good fire alternative then that would be good to research as it would buy me time

how does IBEX or brokers work - do I need to pop into their offices of can I do this online or on phone using English - I have long no claims in UK but not sure I can get any benefit in Spain

re the type of car I was need something reliable ideally with decent storage - given the parking around where I am I am sure it will get lots of scrapes and dents in the street
A NIE/NIF does not expire it is your identification number for life , the residence document is the one that is time-limited unless you have been in Spain for more than 5 years.

Expat car insurance in Spain, motor, medical, travel, pet, holiday homes, marine insurance, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar

You can contact via phone or web.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 8:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to have to sign on the local Padron and get a Padron certificate otherwise they may refuse to transfer the car to you.

Buying a car as a non resident can be surprisingly difficult.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 6:26 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
A NIE/NIF does not expire it is your identification number for life , the residence document is the one that is time-limited unless you have been in Spain for more than 5 years.

Expat car insurance in Spain, motor, medical, travel, pet, holiday homes, marine insurance, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar

You can contact via phone or web.
???

A residence document is NOT time limited for EU citizens - it lasts forever.

What you may mean is that it is temporary for the first 5 years and then, automatically, becomes permanent.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Good point on the padron. I had to present an up to date padron as part of my documents to the dealer to register my new car last year.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
???

A residence document is NOT time limited for EU citizens - it lasts forever.

What you may mean is that it is temporary for the first 5 years and then, automatically, becomes permanent.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 11:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemscot

'You UK NCB is unlikely to be of any help in Spain, please be very careful if you bay second hand, fines etc are on the car, so if you buy from a dealer who doesn't check fully then you may find yourself saddled with unpaid fines and/or tax arrears.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

whats a padron?
Old Jul 30th 2018, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

A padron (yes spelt correctly) is the register of local permanent residents held by each town hall so that they can receive monies from Madrid based on their population levels and provide local services etc.

It is issued for free to all qualifying residents upon application at the town hall office. The nearest UK equivalent is the electoral roll.

I haggled with my broker (I seem to recall it was a while ago) and got some NCD based on my UK record.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 1:47 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

A new car purchase from a franchised dealer is usually the safest way to buy. Generally if you buy a second hand car you get the benefit of having whatever mileage you want on the clock

Used car salesman

Last edited by Johncarzx; Aug 1st 2018 at 1:51 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 3:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Or a guaranteed second hand car from the main dealer with a full one year manufacturers warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.