Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice Please - Home Insurance

Advice Please - Home Insurance

Old Apr 5th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice Please - Home Insurance

I know this is an expat forum but I'm sure there are a lot of snowbirds (those who spend extended periods in their holiday home to escape the weather/in-laws/kids etc.) too.

My UK home insurance has come up for renewal and my insurance company has reduced its 'unoccupied' house clause to 30 days. On checking price comparison sites I find that most of the other insurers have the same. It's obviously another fat cat scam to extract even more money from us poor punters.

My question is - what have others done about it? I have suggested to my kids that they might like to come back home for a couple of nights to break up the 'continuously unoccupied' periods.
I am a bit reluctant to start by asking an insurance co because I know they share this information and I might end up with no cover at all. Are there any insurers who would provide cover (at reasonable rates)? Has anybody told their insurer and what was the additional premium cost? Any other advice? (Taking a chance is not really an option)
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please - Home Insurance

We have just renewed our UK house insurance with Liverpool Victoria and they allow 45 days, it's a bit longer than your 30 days and they were the cheapest, as you say most will have a limit and if you think about it with good reason, unoccupied house are a high risk, not just the obvious like burglaries but also possible leaks etc with no one to spot the problems early
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
We have just renewed our UK house insurance with Liverpool Victoria and they allow 45 days, it's a bit longer than your 30 days and they were the cheapest, as you say most will have a limit and if you think about it with good reason, unoccupied house are a high risk, not just the obvious like burglaries but also possible leaks etc with no one to spot the problems early
Although I insure our apartment in Spain (much cheaper than the UK) and there is no occupation clause - in fact the cover includes having strangers (i.e. renters) staying there for indeterminate periods.

I'll checkout LV=, although I need 50 days+ at least twice a year, thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of

Hi,

When you've got an answer would you please come back and let us know?

In the short term, once we've sold our current UK house we are going to move into a small flat we already own and share it with our son who will live there when we are in Spain. In the long term we want to buy a small house to live in somewhere else in Scotland and leave my son in peace, so we'll need the same kind of cover you are looking for.

Much appreciated.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Although I insure our apartment in Spain (much cheaper than the UK) and there is no occupation clause - ....
but there are some other exclusions in mine, e.g. theft is not covered unless there is evidence of breaking and entering.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
but there are some other exclusions in mine, e.g. theft is not covered unless there is evidence of breaking and entering.

Re Spanish home insurance-Make sure you get accidental cover included-costs a bit more, but worth it.It is also necessary for buildings cover, when you have your own property.