Reload this Page >

Advice on outgoings

Advice on outgoings

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

greatbaldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on outgoings

Hi

We have not decided where exactly to live yet, we are so unsure and don't know what to do. We have ruled out Benidorm though. We want somewhere where there are lots of amenities nearby (bars , shops , restaurants) , we also would like to be no more than 15 - 20 mins walk away from the beach. We would like a quiet area (meaning not a place where there are lots of screaming kids around the communal pool).
Are we asking for too much ?? I don't know
Our main issue at the moment is choosing an area to live , then we can start looking whats available in that area. We are looking at bringing our car over but won't be using it much only to go to the airport.
I have been looking online through Zoopla and Rightmove and there does seem to be hundreds of properties for sale.
Do they know something I don't or is it down to Brexit.
I appreciate and thank everyone who have taken the time to reply.
Thank you
Greatbaldo
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 2:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greatbaldo
Hi

We have not decided where exactly to live yet, we are so unsure and don't know what to do. We have ruled out Benidorm though. We want somewhere where there are lots of amenities nearby (bars , shops , restaurants) , we also would like to be no more than 15 - 20 mins walk away from the beach. We would like a quiet area (meaning not a place where there are lots of screaming kids around the communal pool).
Are we asking for too much ?? I don't know
Our main issue at the moment is choosing an area to live , then we can start looking whats available in that area. We are looking at bringing our car over but won't be using it much only to go to the airport.
I have been looking online through Zoopla and Rightmove and there does seem to be hundreds of properties for sale.
I appreciate and thank everyone who have taken the time to reply.
Thank you
Greatbaldo
Look at places like Albir and Altea, a short bus ride from Benidorm, so access to bars entertainment etc, but much much quieter, Albir is the beach part of Altea, if you are taking your car then you will need to matriculate it onto Spanish plates, which will cost, if you are in receipt of UK state pension then you will be able to join the Spanish system at the same cost as Spanish retirees, but if not you will have to pay for private cover, if one of you is retired AND if you are married, then both of you will be able to join the Spanish system, but if not married then each of you will have to qualify in your own right.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

???

There are tens of thousands of properties on Rightmove and Zoopla in the UK.

People like to move LOL
Old Jun 6th 2018, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

gg1a is an unknown quantity at this point

this has been asked many times yet no one gives their utility costs you may say everyone is different
but at least give your costs it may give them some idea
if you check out place in the sun on youtube the guy,
a resident in camposol gives you a breakdown
heres what his ball park figures are
leccy £20 ~ 50 a wk max
broad band 10€ a week
car £20 week
ibi €10 week
water rubbish €20 week
food £70 wk
funeral ins €10 week
add mot car tax €110 yearly
add health ins , house ins €450 yearly
he reckons £1000 month should cover it ,
​​​​​​​

Last edited by gg1a; Jun 6th 2018 at 4:24 pm. Reason: error
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

So many people who spend part time here have a surprise when they discover that ,when empty,you have a quite expensive fee to pay as a standing charge for utilities.One other thing,Albir is the other part of Alfaz del Pi,not Altea. Years past,the girls in a Spanish family were given a plot of land on the beach area when they married.It was used for grazing goats,the boys got a better deal,so thought at that time.Until the boom came in the 1960's!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

I am a new member and would like some advice if anyone can help.

My girlfriend and I are looking to retire to Spain in 12 months - 18 months time. We are looking around the the Costa Blanca area (not Benidorm or Torrevieja) we would like to ask what is the cost per month that you can live on. We will only have our pensions of £1000 month. Is this enough to live on after paying all the utility bills, (no mortgage or rent as we are buying a place)
We know that every household is different but could anyone give us a rough figure if possible.

Thank you

Greatbaldo
If you are looking to move to Spain permanently you will have to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourselves, each area has a different requirement. if you're under state pension age you will need private health cover, at least for the 1st year, then you can pay into the state health system (s1) at €60 each per month. How old are you both?
Electricity is more expensive than the UK. Water (if on a meter) is about the same. Food can be up to a third cheaper but not if you want British goods. Council tax is cheaper, alcohol is also cheaper. Will you be requiring a car?

I would strongly recommend that you drive over here and rent a place for a period, to ensure that Spain is for you and that your lifestyle can fit within your budget.

All the best & good luck
Old Jun 8th 2018, 8:29 am
Just Joined

gg1a is an unknown quantity at this point

although you would possibly get by on £1000 , you would need savings behind you , like others have said, for unforeseen circumstances, car breakdown, need to buy another etc .also you would need another car in 1st instance as yours is a uk car ,no good for the long term ,
​​​​​​​but the point of moving is to chill in retirement , not fret every month worrying abt bills .