Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice for my daughter on driving in Spain

Advice for my daughter on driving in Spain

Old May 23rd 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Jondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really nice
Default Advice for my daughter on driving in Spain

hi,

I am moving over in a few weeks and my daughter is currently taking driving lessons. I have some questions that I need answering.

1. Would she be allowed to drive in Spain as soon as she passes her test in the UK? (I think I know the answer to that but need to confirm)

2. Would she be better off waiting untill she is in spain, take a few lessons driving on the right and pass her test in Spain?

3. Is car Insurance as much of a rip off as they are in the UK?

Thank you in advance for any replies

JD
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Advice for my daughter on driving in Spain

Originally Posted by Jondee
hi,

I am moving over in a few weeks and my daughter is currently taking driving lessons. I have some questions that I need answering.

1. Would she be allowed to drive in Spain as soon as she passes her test in the UK? (I think I know the answer to that but need to confirm)

2. Would she be better off waiting untill she is in spain, take a few lessons driving on the right and pass her test in Spain?

JD
1. Yes, as long as she's 18.

2. She'll have to be pretty fluent in Spanish to do that. No point.

3. Quite expensive here, but policies include european breakdown/accident recovery.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

JD
She will have to be over 18 to drive in Spain. Moped 14.
Most of the insurances are done on the car not the driver, any driver over 30 with a licence, if under 30 they usually add excess.
There are some companies on CDS that do an English test but most are in Spanish, so she would need to be pretty fluent.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Jondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really nice

Thank you both that has helped a lot.

I had been told that you have to be driving for 3 years in order to drive abroad but I had the feeling that was something to do with car hire agreements and didnt apply if you intend to be a resident.

Regarding Insurance, I have just thought of another question

4. Does Spain have Direct Debit? i.e can the insurance be paid monthly?

Muchas Gracias
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

I pay all my bills by DDs (domiciliaciones). Don't know if you can do car insurance monthly. I'm sure it would be possible at a premium (sorry about the pun).
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I had been told that you have to be driving for 3 years in order to drive abroad but I had the feeling that was something to do with car hire agreements and didnt apply if you intend to be a resident.

Muchas Gracias
Newly qualified drivers in Spain have to display a Green L plate, not sure for how long but believe it is for a year, not sure if this would apply to a newly qualified driver who has passed test in the UK. You will only see green L plates as learner drivers here are ONLY allowed to be taught by registered driving schools. No-one is taught by their dad, mom, friend or other relative.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:04 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

JD
Hi Jondee,
If she is over 18 and has passed her UK driving test she can drive in Spain. Although, as a new driver, I would recommend she has a few lessons when she gets here to get her accustomed to driving on the left

As for car insurance, well you've got many replies to that one!

Best of luck
Martha
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Muchas Gracias
Im with Mapfre and you can pay monthly, quarterly or annually from your bank account.
I didn't find the policies too expensive to be honest (and I know Mapfre are not the cheapest). My UK car was under £400 in the UK and is that here too. Also, as stated above you get European breakdown cover also, and the insurance covers everyone in your immediate family. If my 23 year old daughter had passed her test she would be covered as well.