Advice on moving to the Costa's

Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:56 am
Just Joined

jpen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on moving to the Costa's

jdr, he's confused me already
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:57 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpen
jdr, he's confused me already
Dont worry, soon he will start being a smart arse!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough

Hi, my name is jason and i''m living in Bristol at the moment but hope to move over to the Costa's early next year with my wife and two kids, i am very new to this site so any info would be very appreciated.
I'm 36 and work as a CORGI registered gas engineer / Plumber working on heating systems and kitchen, bathroom's and rain water systems, i would like to know is there plenty of work on the Costa's, Gilbraltar and what sort of wages do tradesman with my skills get, also on the Schooling system they have there as i have a 10yr old girl and 6yr old boy and what sort of lifestyle would our family have,.
I would be great full for any information that you could give us as we are going into this a bit blind so witch areas would be good and a large English area.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and i hope to here from you soon.
CORGI REGISTERED, I dont won't to put you off moving to spain, but you have to think outside of the Brit Box! Plumbers which u served ur time at I assume are "handy Men" in spain; they don't have the flashy vans with the sign written promises, sorry mate!
Tilers, Brickies and air-con workers are the top Bannanas in spain!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:58 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
P.S. Be careful of Derbyflan, he is feeling a little frisky at the moment OK?
OI!

You with the odd shaped balls

Ignore this attention craving, kiwi loving buffoon Jason. I try my best to support the mentally ill but sometimes this guy makes me want to machete whoever thought up the concept of care in the community.

My advice??

I have none other than don't listen to Matt's advice.

Now do what all newcomers do and get the beers in fella

Mine's a guiness. Matt will have a Cherry B with a brolly in it.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:15 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
OI!

Ignore this attention craving, kiwi loving buffoon Jason. I try my best to support the mentally ill but sometimes this guy makes me want to machete whoever thought up the concept of care in the community.

My advice??

OMG your in big trouble now derbyflan
Love Sam
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:18 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

OI!

My advice??

I feel like cider today 2 pints of strongbow please!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:34 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OI!

My advice??

Do you have some sort of problem with mental illness Derby?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:24 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Do you have some sort of problem with mental illness Derby?
No, I think it's a good thing.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my name is jason and i''m living in Bristol at the moment but hope to move over to the Costa's early next year with my wife and two kids, i am very new to this site so any info would be very appreciated.
I'm 36 and work as a CORGI registered gas engineer / Plumber working on heating systems and kitchen, bathroom's and rain water systems, i would like to know is there plenty of work on the Costa's, Gilbraltar and what sort of wages do tradesman with my skills get, also on the Schooling system they have there as i have a 10yr old girl and 6yr old boy and what sort of lifestyle would our family have,.
I would be great full for any information that you could give us as we are going into this a bit blind so witch areas would be good and a large English area.
lots of general info already on here so have a good search round

CORGI - as already said is irrelevant here, although you may be ok within an expat community but wages are a lot lower and there are loads of others all trying to scratch a living - there are previous threads on that, how in the high expat areas people are under cutting each other, the cost of living here and much more

you really need to look into it mate but top tips I would say are

rent before you buy
put the kids into a Spanish state school
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

JPEN have you looked at the free beer thread at the top? Some useful information on there. If you browse through all the previous threads although there is some useful advice there are hundreds of pages of useless chat-line stuff.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

keljo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jason
There is plenty of work available to someone with your qualifications in the Costa del Sol. Tradesmen usually get around 120 euros a day. The schools here are very good but not as good as in the Uk. The lifestyle here is very good, and our kids love it here. The school that my children go to is about 30% English which makes it much easier for the kids to intergrate. (both my kids are fluent in Spanish but still have English friends). You are doing the right thing by going to a large English area, it is much easier to find work and friends. Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is after a legal contracted job with security. ;-))
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

keljo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry maybe i used the wrong word with qualifications, I should have said experience. Jobs with a contract are hard to find but work such as fitting air conditioning (easy for a plumber) is fairly easy to find. Most (spanish) gestors will advise you to try working here for a few months before going legal as it is very costly to start a company.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keljo
Sorry maybe i used the wrong word with qualifications, I should have said experience. Jobs with a contract are hard to find but work such as fitting air conditioning (easy for a plumber) is fairly easy to find. Most (spanish) gestors will advise you to try working here for a few months before going legal as it is very costly to start a company.
Thats what I said in my other post, you have to earn mega money and have Spanish paperwork to survive legally.