Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice: moving to costa blanca, any good areas?

Advice: moving to costa blanca, any good areas?

Old Apr 14th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Graham gage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice: moving to costa blanca, any good areas?

Hi all, we are planning to move to Costa Blanca by November this year. I work offshore so it's important to be close to Alicante airport as I'll be using it regularly. We (my wife and my daughter (who will be 2 by the time we are there) would like to live in a small town, where there are other young families living so we could make some friends. Being close to an international school is also important We are visiting Santa Pola soon to have a look around but we would appreciate any advice as we've never been in Costa Blanca!!! Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: moving to costa blanca, any good areas?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham gage
Hi all, we are planning to move to Costa Blanca by November this year. I work offshore so it's important to be close to Alicante airport as I'll be using it regularly. We (my wife and my daughter (who will be 2 by the time we are there) would like to live in a small town, where there are other young families living so we could make some friends. Being close to an international school is also important We are visiting Santa Pola soon to have a look around but we would appreciate any advice as we've never been in Costa Blanca!!! Thanks
you could do a lot worse than Jávea

we have lots of families of offshore workers here, so your wife would be in good company - it's a very International town, which is sort of divided into 3 parts: the 'old town' - hilly & predominantly Spanish; the port - still mainly Spanish; & the Arenal - much more international & touristy

also it's surrounded by hills & at the foot of a mountain - there are lots of villas in the hills too

we're about an hour from both Alicante & Valencia airports, & there's a choice of International schools, too

Last edited by lynnxa; Apr 14th 2013 at 5:32 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much Lynnxa , We will stop by in Jávea next week and check it out because it sounds ideal. We would be renting first, for about a year, do you have any advice you could give us about renting there? Thanks in advance.

Graham
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much Lynnxa , We will stop by in Jávea next week and check it out because it sounds ideal. We would be renting first, for about a year, do you have any advice you could give us about renting there? Thanks in advance.

Graham
I know a lot of the agents in the town, & most of the urbs too, so if you like, before making any decisions let me know & I'll give you the low down

if you're looking for a villa you want south facing, or on a south facing slope, or you'll be damp & cold in the winter
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much, I will definitely take you up on that offer!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Do you all speak Spanish? If not can I recommend that you talk to Lynnxa about lessons.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:32 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

.... I work offshore so it's important to be close to Alicante airport as I'll be using it regularly. We (my wife and my daughter (who will be 2 by the time we are there) would like to live in a small town, where there are other young families living so we could make some friends. Being close to an international school is also important We are visiting Santa Pola soon to have a look around but we would appreciate any advice as we've never been in Costa Blanca!!! Thanks
I guess you are flying to Abz (or Norwich)? Flights from Alicante / Murcia are more convenient and cheaper than Valencia.

As you have suggested, Santa Pola is very convenient for Alicante.

Your daughter will be aged 2. Why do you want to be close to an international school?

There are many nice locations. You really need to visit and check out the locations to find what suits you and yours.

Last edited by missile; Apr 15th 2013 at 5:57 am.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Do you all speak Spanish? If not can I recommend that you talk to Lynnxa about lessons.

Rosemary
thanks Rosemary - I'm happy to say that I'm really busy - 11 group classes a week now & private classes as well

I try to get a new beginner group going every term more or less, but it's getting to the stage now that I need an extra day in the week

Thanks very much, I will definitely take you up on that offer!

yes do, & about lessons if you need them
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you could do a lot worse than Jávea
True, we went there many times in the past, IMHO the northern end of the CB is by far the nicer part, I can't think of anywhere south of Alicante that would drag me back.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

We started house hunting as far down as Murcia last January but quickly started concentrating our efforts in Costa Blanca North as we preferred it up here, eventually settling on Jávea after 7 months of stressful searching, it then took another 5 months of more hassle and stress to get all the paperwork for this house sorted and legal. Early days I know but I really can't envisage living anywhere else at the moment
Everyone has different tastes and requirements though and there are many great areas(and not so great) to choose from, so good luck with your search, it can be a long hard road but worth it in the end
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:07 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You can notice the difference when you drive the length of the Costa Blanca on the coastal motorway and even more so on the N332. The mountains and comparative greenness disappear somewhere south of Alicante airport to be replaced by flat and brown land.

But maybe all those blue flag beaches appeal to some people more than mountain scenery? And then you need to consider safety and convenience to reach the airport, you can walk to it from the nearer parts.

And finally there is the price. An ordinary villa in Javea will set you back 250K, around El Altet you can get a mansion for that, and in Torrevieja you get two villas for the same price.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
You can notice the difference when you drive the length of the Costa Blanca on the coastal motorway and even more so on the N332. The mountains and comparative greenness disappear somewhere south of Alicante airport to be replaced by flat and brown land.
It always amazes me how green the North Costa Blanca is. It has paddy fields!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:44 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I know him very well, he runs an Irish bar near us.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Yep, that was the clincher for us...the greenness not the paddy fields and a sea and mountain view to boot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.