Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice: Moving to Canary Islands, which one and should we?

Advice: Moving to Canary Islands, which one and should we?

Old Nov 13th 2016, 8:42 am
lts
Just Joined

lts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice: Moving to Canary Islands, which one and should we?

Hi everyone,

About us:

This is my first post, as after building a successful career to senior management level, and despite a good salary, my family and I are looking to move for a better quality of life. Reason is simply, working 13-14 hours a day and only to get by just doesn't feel right. My daughter is 4 and I only see her at the weekends.

So we are looking into moving to the Canary Islands, as we want to be somewhere good for my daughter's schooling, have good healthcare, good all year weather and income options (I am very open to sourcing income from either doing my own business or in sales). Basically overall sustainability with good options for my daughter.

Questions:

Which island would be the best for us and why? I have read Tenerife would probably be better due to our daughter, but is this the case? What is the overall cost of living on the Canary Islands? Are the locals reception to foreigners trying to make an income? For those that had a similar move, how have you found it, what do you like and do not like and what would you have done differently?

Thanks in advance from a 40yo, 37yo and a 4yo.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 9:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Moving to Canary Islands, which one and should we?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 13th 2016, 9:40 am
lts
Just Joined

lts is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Rosemary.

Thank you for your warm welcome and info.

Hope you enjoy your Sunday.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 10:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Its
We do not have a lot of members on the islands so the knowledgeable responses may be a little thin on the ground but I hope that someone will be able to give you a few answers.

Rosemary
Old Nov 13th 2016, 11:09 am
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the island of El Hierro, life here for us is good, we re retired and have incomes.

If you are seeking employment, think twice, we have 40% unemployed, businesses have closed and people have left here and other islands to find work in Iberian Spain, and other countries.

But if you can source a good income, and have the language skills, life here can be idillic, a wonderful climate, fantastic people, a cheap cost of living, only 7% vat.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 10:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent time and lived on all the main seven islands I would recommend Tenerife as having the most to offer in every respect and also as a good base to spend time or explore the other islands if required.
The main Southern resorts are a bit touristy but there is much more to see and do on all other parts of the island.
You could try the "Tenerife Forum" as there aren't many members on here from the Canaries.