Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice for a graduate taking a gap year and living in south Spain

advice for a graduate taking a gap year and living in south Spain

Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

kshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nicekshazzy is just really nice
Default advice for a graduate taking a gap year and living in south Spain

Hi guys! I'll be graduating hopefully next year with a bachelors in English Literature and creative writing. I want to take a gap year and would like to work in a school to get experience teaching in a foreign school. this would also allow me to learn a language. then im thinking of doing a pgce back in England, do that and then return back to spain where I'll be staying. Any advice guys and is it easy to get a teaching job or for that matter any job in south spain?
thanks
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:14 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for a graduate taking a gap year and living in south Spain

Hi and welcome to the Spanish section.
If you are thinking about working in a Spanish school do you want to work for a government school or a private one?
You state that you,
would like to work in a school to get experience teaching in a foreign school. this would also allow me to learn a language
From this I assume you have no Spanish language skills at present, am I correct?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kshazzy
Hi guys! I'll be graduating hopefully next year with a bachelors in English Literature and creative writing. I want to take a gap year and would like to work in a school to get experience teaching in a foreign school. this would also allow me to learn a language. then im thinking of doing a pgce back in England, do that and then return back to spain where I'll be staying. Any advice guys and is it easy to get a teaching job or for that matter any job in south spain?
thanks
what a great idea!

unfortunately to get a teaching job in a State school you'd need to already have your PGCE - then be fluent in Spanish - then sit opposiciones(an exam that all teachers have to take in order to get a job)

in Cantabria 7000 sat the exam this year for just over 200 jobs!!

http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/v/201...-20100621.html

you might be able to get a classroom assistant to an English teacher position - although in my area (Valencian community) you can't even do that voluntarily

you could try the British Council - they do exchanges for teachers - I'm not sure if you need to be qualified though

your best bet might be to look at http://www.nabss.org/en/home.php which is the association of British Schools in Spain & just send out CVs to everyone

suerte!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:39 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Lynnxa
what an excellent reply. Karma sent.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
what a great idea!

unfortunately to get a teaching job in a State school you'd need to already have your PGCE - then be fluent in Spanish - then sit opposiciones(an exam that all teachers have to take in order to get a job)

in Cantabria 7000 sat the exam this year for just over 200 jobs!!

http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/v/201...-20100621.html

you might be able to get a classroom assistant to an English teacher position - although in my area (Valencian community) you can't even do that voluntarily

you could try the British Council - they do exchanges for teachers - I'm not sure if you need to be qualified though

your best bet might be to look at http://www.nabss.org/en/home.php which is the association of British Schools in Spain & just send out CVs to everyone

suerte!
Another option is to discuss your plan with the Spanish department of the University at which you are currently studying (assuming there is one!).

My daughter has just completed a year abroad as part of her Hispanic Studies with English BA at Kings College, London which included a year studying in Sevilla under the Erasmus scheme. Although King's required her to attend classes at Sevilla University, other Erasmus students (from University of Warwick for example) attended only a few classes and the rest of their time was spent as classroom assistants in various schools throughout the city (although they obviously had no PGCE etc).

Maybe your university could help you out in this - worth asking if all other routes prove unsuccessful. The University may have contacts!

Suerte!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Lynnxa
what an excellent reply. Karma sent.
why thank you

I do have my days........