Reload this Page >

ADSL Wireless with UK passport?

ADSL Wireless with UK passport?

Old May 3rd 2013, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

skyangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADSL Wireless with UK passport?

Hello

Just moved into my new apartment which has a telephone line in so that is not a problem.
Currently using a dongle but need a reliable internet connection without too many costs.
Just wondering is it possible to use a UK passport to order online and also can anyone please recommend where to order also. Have had a look but finding it complicated.
Thanks!
Old May 3rd 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADSL Wireless with UK passport?

Have you obtained an NIE number, opened a Spanish bank account?
Also, where you're located may help!
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Hey

Sorry for the vague question, I am living in Fuengirola near Malaga.
Actually that was another question I had also, where do I get an NIE number please?
I am guessing the whole process of getting ADSL is a lot easier with a spanish bank and NIE number?

Thanks!
Old May 4th 2013, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the ISP will want to take money directly from your bank account by direct debit. So, yes a spanish account will be needed. As for the NIE number, I've always been a little perplexed by why lots of diverse outfits keep asking for it. Even the courier requires it on their form on the rare occasion they actually unite me with a package I ordered. Although they never ask for proof - they just want a number to write on their little form.

If you were to (hypothetically, of course) give a company an incorrect NIE number - possibly by mis-remembering yours, or them writing it down wrong, would anyone know or care?
Old May 4th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Ok well that is good to know thanks Pete! Guessing than as long as I have a Spanish address and Passport I can open a bank account?
And to get the NIE number am I right in thinking I need to go to my local police station?
That is a good question actually... well unless they actually look into the NIE number you give then I can't see why they would not accept it also?? could play ignorance maybe??

Thanks
Old May 4th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

oasis88 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need NIE to open a bank account and you don't need a Spanish address either, at least not at Sabadell. (You get a non-resident account which is a little more expensive though)

If you go to a site called telefonicainenglish-dot-com, then go to their 'apply now' page you can see that they require a passport number but the NIE is optional.

I am trying to set up Internet too and I don't have a NIE yet. I don't think it will be a problem.
Old May 4th 2013, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Heard some pretty bad things if im honest about that Telefonica in English.... have a look on google and you will see what I mean... seem like a bunch of daylight scammers really!
But you are right about the bank account, Think I will go in and ask them.
But thanks anyway!
Cant't wait to get the internet back and off this damn dongle
Old May 4th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

oasis88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skyangel
Heard some pretty bad things if im honest about that Telefonica in English.... have a look on google and you will see what I mean... seem like a bunch of daylight scammers really!
But you are right about the bank account, Think I will go in and ask them.
But thanks anyway!
Cant't wait to get the internet back and off this damn dongle
Yes I see those bad posts (and I certainly am not recommending them). On the other hand, those post on spainexpat are 5-6 years old. They are also not accurate when they say they are unofficial, according to their website they are the official English agents, but as noted here - all that means is they take a commission for delivering what you can probably get more reliably from telefonica direct. Calling 1004 and getting on to the english operator seems like a good start.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Please do NOT use telefonica in English - they are a bunch of robbing cowboys.

Telefonica or Movistar (same company), have an English speaking team as well and at least then you know who you are dealing with and there will be no extra costs.

On the NIE front, you will certainly need to get that at some point but I guess what you really need is a 'residencia' as you seem to be living here.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

And to get the NIE number am I right in thinking I need to go to my local police station?
Yes but remember that it is the Policia Nacional not the local police or Guardia.
Old May 4th 2013, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Please do NOT use telefonica in English - they are a bunch of robbing cowboys.

Telefonica or Movistar (same company), have an English speaking team as well and at least then you know who you are dealing with and there will be no extra costs.

On the NIE front, you will certainly need to get that at some point but I guess what you really need is a 'residencia' as you seem to be living here.
Thanks for that, will definitely not be using telefonicainEnglish... think after reading the forums and scanning google Telefonica is the best option for now.
And yes I will be living here for the foreseeable future and would like to register for residencia, so as Fred James mentions also my best bet is finding the Policia nacional in fuengirola and getting a residencia bank account also?
Appreciate the guidance
Old May 4th 2013, 4:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes but remember that it is the Policia Nacional not the local police or Guardia.
Actually, it's your 'extranjero' office which may or may not be with the NATIONAL police as Fred advises.

In some towns now, they have moved this office.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well that is good to know thanks Pete! Guessing than as long as I have a Spanish address and Passport I can open a bank account?
And some MONEY, I've always found them to be better disposed towards me when I have some cash to give them pay in
Old May 5th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pete_l
And some MONEY, I've always found them to be better disposed towards me when I have some cash to give them pay in
LOL, Ok great. Well that is not a problem! Just another quickie also! Is it more beneficial to open a residents account as opposed to a temporary account?

Thanks
Old May 5th 2013, 10:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oasis88
You don't need NIE to open a bank account and you don't need a Spanish address either, at least not at Sabadell. (You get a non-resident account which is a little more expensive though)

If you go to a site called telefonicainenglish-dot-com, then go to their 'apply now' page you can see that they require a passport number but the NIE is optional.

I am trying to set up Internet too and I don't have a NIE yet. I don't think it will be a problem.
Do not use these people, they are a private firm cashing in on the telefonica name, all they will do is to get you a deal, usually worse than the one available from telefonica, and charge you an arm and leg for the privilege, just ring telefonica, or go into a telefonica shop, if you ring them, just say 'Inglese por favor' and they will transfer you to an Enlish speaking staff member.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.