Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Adopting Spanish customs

Adopting Spanish customs

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adopting Spanish customs

I am surprised to read that so many have seemed to adopted so many local customs...eating at 2 in the afternoon, dinner at 10 and so on.

What other customs have you adopted? Do you 'Eat Spanish' or still have the Sunday roast? Do you suck langostinos heads or eat goat heads or go every afternoon for tapas y un vermut?

Similarly, what customs do you despise? The 2-5 shutdown of everything? The July "Spain is closed for vacations"? Not being able to find a McDonalds (or even a cup of coffee) at 5 or 6 am? Do you hate that everything is closed on Sundays?

One (of many) that I love is the huge 'Ensalada Ilustrada'...romaine lettuce, tomatos, olives, white asparagus, palm hearts, tuna, hard boiled eggs and everything else....smothered in EV Olive oil and wine vinager.

Last edited by ironporer; Jun 3rd 2007 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:15 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adopting Spanish customs

I reckon I eat like spanish do, I went mcdonalds the other day and was nearly sick after the first bite. I try my best to take up spanish lifestyle but eating sunflower seeds was a little to far for me. Bought some and was like WTF are these, sunflower seeds coated in sugar ate some but were horrible.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:17 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
I am surprised to read that so many have seemed to adopted so many local customs...eating at 2 in the afternoon, dinner at 10 and so on.

What other customs have you adopted? Do you 'Eat Spanish' or still have the Sunday roast? Do you suck langostinos heads or eat goat heads or go every afternoon for tapas y un vermut?

Similarly, what customs do you despise? The 2-5 shutdown of everything? The July "Spain is closed for vacations"? Not being able to find a McDonalds (or even a cup of coffee) at 5 or 6 am? Do you hate that everything is closed on Sundays?

One (of many) that I love is the huge 'Ensalada Ilustrada'...romaine lettuce, tomatos, olives, white asparagus, palm hearts, tuna, hard boiled eggs and everything else....smothered in EV Olive oil and wine vinager.
Hubby sucked a langostinos head the other day, ugh I was nearly sick!! I love them but will not suck the heads.

We went for afternoon tapas yesterday, we adore going for tapas the food is fantastic over here. Luckily our nearest Mcdonalds is 45 mins away so never go near it.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I love those .... theres a restaurant on the front at Denia that does them and I often stop in there for lunch.

I got used to the shopping times and Sunday closing and just plan accordingly.
Just had sunday roast lunch

Cannot manage dinner at 10 however hard I try. I end up ravenously hungry by 7 and if I leave it till 10 I just lose my appetite. I am doomed to sit in restaurants at 8 on my own forever
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
I reckon I eat like spanish do, I went mcdonalds the other day and was nearly sick after the first bite. I try my best to take up spanish lifestyle but eating sunflower seeds was a little to far for me. Bought some and was like WTF are these, sunflower seeds coated in sugar ate some but were horrible.
salted pipas are very tasty
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Undertaking another Spanish custom I'm now retiring to the pool side with an alcoholic beverage
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Undertaking another Spanish custom I'm now retiring to the pool side with an alcoholic beverage
I am just contemplating whether to have the hair of the dog? I think your post has just made my mind up
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

We eat at sort of spanish times.....and sort of spanish food!

The spanish students who stayed with us last summer had been warned by the language school to expect lunch at 12 noon & dinner at 6.30 - and a meat & 2 veg type meal too!- so they were all very surprised to come to us & get lunch at 2pm or later, and dinner sometime between 8.30 & 9.30 each evening!

Our kids even eat breakfast spanish style............cereal in a mug with milk & cola-cao.....eat the cereal then drink the milk! Saves on washing up!

I do sometimes do an english type roast in the winter, but usually if I roast meat we have it with salad, sometimes chips, sometimes rice or jacket spuds. We all love tapas.

I love the fact that you can't shop on a Sunday, and the shops, doctors & opticians etc. being open in the evening is great when you have kids....if you need their feet, eyes or whatever you don't have to wait until the weekend!

The only thing I have to admit irritates me is the loud fireworks in the middle of the day.............I only like the pretty ones that light up the night sky.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:33 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I love those .... theres a restaurant on the front at Denia that does them and I often stop in there for lunch.

I got used to the shopping times and Sunday closing and just plan accordingly.
Just had sunday roast lunch

Cannot manage dinner at 10 however hard I try. I end up ravenously hungry by 7 and if I leave it till 10 I just lose my appetite. I am doomed to sit in restaurants at 8 on my own forever
Then you need to adopt another custom...the 'merienda'. A nive bocadillo of Pamplona Chorizo and Manchego cheese, or a few tapas and a chato of wine should tide you over.

My pet peeves include the damn "WEIIIIWIII WIII WIIIIII WWWIIIIIIIIIII WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'' of the f**king 100 cc motor bikes in the hands of 17 year olds.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:04 pm

Then you need to adopt another custom...the 'merienda'. A nive bocadillo of Pamplona Chorizo and Manchego cheese, or a few tapas and a chato of wine should tide you over.

My pet peeves include the damn "WEIIIIWIII WIII WIIIIII WWWIIIIIIIIIII WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'' of the f**king 100 cc motor bikes in the hands of 17 year olds.

Now those motorbikes really do get on my nerves. Couldnt have phrased it better myself :curse::curse: I once saw 2 people on a motorbike carrying a massive already blown up paddling pool Couldnt believe my eyes, how they didnt ave an accident is beyond me
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent 8 days in Denia to discover new neighbours had moved into the apartment next door. I had a good idea that they would be Spanish (and almost certainly not English) as there was a dog tied up on the balcony.

Fortunately, the dog (and the cat which keeps it company) seems to be cared for. Although it is tied up, it can walk around and has shade and water. I would have struggled with this Spanish custom if the dog had been suffering - as it is left like this for many hours.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:29 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=ironporer;4866900]

Do you suck langostinos heads

The bigger the head the better I say. I just love sucking the head of langostinos the flavour is just unbelievable. Never in million years did I think I would ever be doing that.........yum yum. Just the same as having a whole squiddley diddley on your plate and cutting into to it and all the ink running out and mopping it up with real rustic Spanish bread Mmmmmmmmm off to light the BBQ alas no squidley but do have a few langos to suck.........
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:36 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=crispygirl;4867395]

The bigger the head the better I say. I just love sucking the head of langostinos the flavour is just unbelievable. Never in million years did I think I would ever be doing that.........yum yum. Just the same as having a whole squiddley diddley on your plate and cutting into to it and all the ink running out and mopping it up with real rustic Spanish bread Mmmmmmmmm off to light the BBQ alas no squidley but do have a few langos to suck.........
I'm keeping quiet on this one!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:38 pm

[QUOTE=crispygirl;4867395]

Uggghhhhh vile!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:40 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

I took up that on day 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.