Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Adios Mercadona?

Adios Mercadona?

Old Jan 30th 2024, 9:40 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adios Mercadona?

Originally Posted by NABman
Here in Nerja there is a new Aldi being built right opposite to Lidl. Cannot see how this makes sense as it is a complete ground up build.
That's their strategy in the Canaries as well. Find a Lidl... then build next to it. It's almost like their main aim is to poach Lidl customers...

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The fish stalls in my local town market don't sell nearly as much of a variety as Mercadona does, and nor do the small independent fish shops around.
The fish merchants at my local market have quite a big selection compared to Mercadona, but there's only a handful of different fish that I buy so I still keep going back to Mercadona.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Mercadona is the only place where you can get truly fresh fish and you can have it gutted, scaled and without the head (they will ask if you want to keep it!). There are also numerous other products that I specifically buy there, from fruits & vegs to items such as bin bags (the quality of the plastic is light years ahead of the crappy ones that Lidl peddles).

I really hope the fish counter stays because that truly sets Mercadona apart. Of course there are some things that I will also pop into Lidl or Aldi for so it's not like I do a complete detour around those stores...

P.S. I don't know if the same is taking place on the mainland, but in the Canaries new Aldi stores are popping up in close proximity (or sometimes even right next door) to current Lidl supermarkets. Interesting strategy...
"Mercadona is the only place where you can get truly fresh fish and you can have it gutted, scaled and without the head (they will ask if you want to keep it!)"

Masymas will also supply a variety of fresh fish prepared and presented as you describe above......

Steve
Old Feb 21st 2024, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

We have been shopping in carrefour alot recently, the whole salmon was the same price per kilo, <9.99€/kg>, and the entrecot steak is <13.95/kg> - but I pay 6€ a month for a 15% discount on everything fresh, so we save a fortune going there for that sort of thing, but we tend to stick more to lidl for the veg and stuff?

Carrefour los patios / alameda have massive fish, meat and sliced meat / cheese counters.