Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Adios Mercadona?

Adios Mercadona?

Old Jan 23rd 2024, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adios Mercadona?

A bit premature I would say - but low prices very important at the moment...

https://spanishnewstoday.com/adios_m...2327452-a.html
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adios Mercadona?

You cannot really compare ALDI stores to Mercadona!

Few are even half the size of the typical Mercadona and that naturally limits the range of goods stocked.

I shop in most of the supermarkets, including ALDI, simply because that's the only way to get the things I want.

In any case there are already 3 or 4 branches of ALDI within reasonable striking distance of where I live in Costa Blanca South so I can't see them opening more around here.
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

A ridiculous headline in the article. Aldi and Lidl have increased their market share significantly since they first appeared in the UK but that hasn't meant the likes of Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc. have disappeared. There are 2 town centre branches of Mercadona where I live, within easy walking distance for me, whereas Lidl is a bus journey away and the nearest Aldi further still, and as Dunroamin says their stock is far more limited than Mercadona. I call into Lidl maybe a couple of times a year and the prices never seem to be dramatically lower than Mercadona anyway. The cost of the bus fares for us to get there and back would probably wipe out any savings. What did concern me was reading the other day that Mercadona are trialling changes to their fish counters and will be switching to selling more fish ready prepared in trays. I think that's a great pity as their fish counters are one of the best things about the store, imo.
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to use both Lidl and Mercadona probably get more in Lidl than Mercadona but there are some things we can't get in Lidl or that are better than Lidl. That's just the same way we shopped in UK bulk we got from Aldi but also would use either Sainsbury's or Asda for some things. I can't see this expansion by Aldi affecting Mercadona. We have an Aldi fairly close to us but only use it rarely even though it was our go to store in the UK . Although layout is the same it seems quite different in produce and choice not as much for us as Lidl has. Having lived some time ago in Germany I found the Spanish Aldi more like the ones in Germany. There are in fact 2 versions of Aldi hence shop sign in UK differs from the one here . The company was split years ago by 2 brothers and they became Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. Strangely the version we get in the UK is part of the Aldi South business and the one in Spain is part of the Aldi North business. So I'm guessing that's why it seems different to me using the one in Spain. I only know this as I looked it up as people I knew kept saying it was Lidl that had separated not Aldi. However it is Aldi and from what I have read the brothers fell out over cigarettes one wanted the stores to sell them the other didn't so split the company. That said neither UK or Spain Aldis sell cigarettes now I don't know if they do in Germany.

Last edited by bobd22; Jan 23rd 2024 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2024, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Aldi and Mercadona co-exist about 500m apart where I am.
The shops are roughly the same size but Aldi never has a quarter of the customers that Mercadona has at it's busiest. The other factor of note is that Mercadona has majority Spanish customers, while in Aldi it is mostly immigrants.
Old Jan 24th 2024, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Aldi and Mercadona co-exist about 500m apart where I am.
The shops are roughly the same size but Aldi never has a quarter of the customers that Mercadona has at it's busiest. The other factor of note is that Mercadona has majority Spanish customers, while in Aldi it is mostly immigrants.
Ive never been a fan of Aldi, some of their product range is questionable as to its quality.
And to be honest cheap is not what I go for in my food shopping. Quality
The other reason we stick to Mercadona (although the wife buys her bread in Costa Blanca Supermarket in Albir as its better) is because we can get everything we need.
I no longer want Heinz salad cream, mint sauce as I wont pay the price in Iceland

As a bloke I hate shopping and would rather pay slightly more than have to jump from shop to shop trying to save a cent or two.

Besides Mercadona is Spanish and I prefer to shop with a company where all (or at least most) of the profit stays in the country.
Also they give huge amount of money to Spanish charities and fund other good causes.
Surprisingly for a food retail store they have one of the lowest staff turnover figures..

Here have some history of the company.
​​​​​​https://info.mercadona.es/en/who-we-are/history
Old Jan 24th 2024, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Besides Mercadona is Spanish and I prefer to shop with a company where all (or at least most) of the profit stays in the country.
Also they give huge amount of money to Spanish charities and fund other good causes.
Surprisingly for a food retail store they have one of the lowest staff turnover figures..

Here have some history of the company.
​​​​​​https://info.mercadona.es/en/who-we-are/history
The owner of mercadona is also the owner of the Valencia Basketball team...

A true Valencian....
Old Jan 24th 2024, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when Mercadona had a proper fresh meat butchery counter - that went years ago. That led to a spate of butcher shops opening locally.

It is worrying to hear that the fish counter is going the same way.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I remember when Mercadona had a proper fresh meat butchery counter - that went years ago. That led to a spate of butcher shops opening locally.

It is worrying to hear that the fish counter is going the same way.
Yes, as did the charcuteria where you could buy as much or as little of the cooked meats and cheeses as you wanted, not just a plastic packet.

Here's what they've said about the fish counters. "Responding to the changing tastes of consumers" is a load of hogwash in my opinion, they just want to save money on staffing.

Mercadona explica su nuevo concepto de pescadería que podría cambiar la forma de compra (20minutos.es)
Old Jan 25th 2024, 10:51 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Mercadona were supposed to be cutting back on plastic...
Old Jan 29th 2024, 7:38 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Mercadona is the only place where you can get truly fresh fish and you can have it gutted, scaled and without the head (they will ask if you want to keep it!). There are also numerous other products that I specifically buy there, from fruits & vegs to items such as bin bags (the quality of the plastic is light years ahead of the crappy ones that Lidl peddles).

I really hope the fish counter stays because that truly sets Mercadona apart. Of course there are some things that I will also pop into Lidl or Aldi for so it's not like I do a complete detour around those stores...

P.S. I don't know if the same is taking place on the mainland, but in the Canaries new Aldi stores are popping up in close proximity (or sometimes even right next door) to current Lidl supermarkets. Interesting strategy...
Old Jan 29th 2024, 7:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Mercadona is the only place where you can get truly fresh fish and you can have it gutted, scaled and without the head (they will ask if you want to keep it!). ...
We have a number of local supermarkets (consum, economy cash, family cash etc.) that all have excellent fresh fish counters.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 1:24 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We have a number of local supermarkets (consum, economy cash, family cash etc.) that all have excellent fresh fish counters.
Always good to have options. I forgot about the nearby markets where we have lots of stalls, including a handful of fish merchants. So not entirely the end of the world should Mercadona ditch its own fish counters...
Old Jan 30th 2024, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Nerja there is a new Aldi being built right opposite to Lidl. Cannot see how this makes sense as it is a complete ground up build. Will be interesting to see the product prices and quality. Personally I find fresh vegetables etc at Mercadona or any one of the independent greengrocers vastly better quality than Lidl.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by astera
Always good to have options. I forgot about the nearby markets where we have lots of stalls, including a handful of fish merchants. So not entirely the end of the world should Mercadona ditch its own fish counters...
The selection available at the central market in Málaga capital is excellent, but I wouldn't want to buy from there especially in hot weather as it would take me 1.5 hours to get it home. The fish stalls in my local town market don't sell nearly as much of a variety as Mercadona does, and nor do the small independent fish shops around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.