Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Address on Green Residency/N.I.E. certificate

Address on Green Residency/N.I.E. certificate

Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Address on Green Residency/N.I.E. certificate

We have moved recently. Is it necessary/advisable/possible to get our new address put on our green residency certificates?? When we went to join the padron at our new address this morning they asked to see them but didn't comment on the old address on the certificates. I recall that when we applied for them in Altea they didn't (to my surprise) ask for proof of address.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Address on Green Residency/N.I.E. certificate

You can change the address on the certificate but it will cost you another €10.

It seems to be generally accepted that the best proof of address is a recent (less than 90 days) Padron certificate. If the Ayuntamiento is happy to put your new address on the Padron and issue a new certificate then that should be OK.

You do need to advise Trafico so they can update the drivers database if you have a Spanish or registered UK driving licence - they want to know where to send the fines!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
We have moved recently. Is it necessary/advisable/possible to get our new address put on our green residency certificates?? When we went to join the padron at our new address this morning they asked to see them but didn't comment on the old address on the certificates. I recall that when we applied for them in Altea they didn't (to my surprise) ask for proof of address.
As Fred says, most like to see the address on an up to date Padron only, I just had to update (5 minutes and free) mine to insure a scooter.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Hi,

I went through a change of address recently and received conflicting advice everywhere, I even caused a debate between the 2 women on the desk in the residencia office at the local nick, one said yes definately need to change it the other said that it doesn't matter.....

As I like everything to be as legal as poss, and for just 10 euros I changed the address....
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

My wife and I have just used ours for joining padron, and to accompany S1 forms (was E121) at the INSS and no comment was made about the out of date address. However we probably will change them (belt and braces....).
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
My wife and I have just used ours for joining padron, and to accompany S1 forms (was E121) at the INSS and no comment was made about the out of date address. However we probably will change them (belt and braces....).
Don`t bother, most will ask for an up to date Padron as proof of address now.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred James
You can change the address on the certificate but it will cost you another €10.

It seems to be generally accepted that the best proof of address is a recent (less than 90 days) Padron certificate. If the Ayuntamiento is happy to put your new address on the Padron and issue a new certificate then that should be OK.

You do need to advise Trafico so they can update the drivers database if you have a Spanish or registered UK driving licence - they want to know where to send the fines!
If you don't have a spanish driving licence can you register your UK one to a spanish address?

Rose
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
If you don't have a spanish driving licence can you register your UK one to a spanish address?

Rose
No

Nor can you renew it to a Spanish address when the 10 year renewal comes due
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No

Nor can you renew it to a Spanish address when the 10 year renewal comes due
It's good to remind people using a UK license that the photocard is only valid for 10 years, I remember posting that a few years ago, and the number that hadn't realised, and had out of date licenses was amazing. Possibly would catch people out if posted in the back to the UK forum.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK we seem to be going a bit off thread but this is good stuff regarding DLs

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...-in-spain/cars

Lots of useful info including:

Replacing or renewing your UK licence within Spain

You should bear in mind that once your UK photocard licence expires you will not be able to renew this with the DVLA if you are residing in Spain so you may wish to convert you licence over to a Spanish before it expires. Similarly, if your licence is lost or stolen you will not be able to replace it through the DVLA if you reside in Spain.

Last edited by spainrico; Sep 16th 2010 at 11:19 am.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's good to remind people using a UK license that the photocard is only valid for 10 years, I remember posting that a few years ago, and the number that hadn't realised, and had out of date licenses was amazing. Possibly would catch people out if posted in the back to the UK forum.

yep, mine was, by a couple of days .. when i was changing it to a spanish one.. it meant i had to do a medical as well
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

OK sorry to be a bit 'off thread' but now I'm really confused.

If you no longer live in the UK but only have a UK driving licence and don't register it to your new spanish address ( which it appears is not obligatory for EU citizens) then surely it remains registered to your last UK address?

This means you are driving around with documents registered to the wrong address where presumably someone else now lives. How can that be right?

What happens if you go back to the UK and try to hire a car, for example and then present a licence with the wrong address on it? Or if you get stopped in spain?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It has been well covered before.

The DVLA are on record as saying that it is perfectly acceptable for you to have the old UK address on the licence if you permanently leave the UK. The Spanish couldn't care as they do not put your address on their licences.

If you visit the UK temporarily then your UK licence is still valid with the old address. If you return permanently then you would then have to change the address.

If you want any further clarification either look at the old threads on the subject or start a new one.

I don't want to see this thread turning into yet another Driving Licence thread.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
It has been well covered before.

If you want any further clarification either look at the old threads on the subject or start a new one.

I don't want to see this thread turning into yet another Driving Licence thread.
Sorry Fred, message received. I had not spotted the information elsewhere but you've answered it now anyway, thanks.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Sorry Fred, message received. I had not spotted the information elsewhere but you've answered it now anyway, thanks.
It`s been in the free beer thread for about 5 years.