Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Acclimatising to the heat

Acclimatising to the heat

Old Aug 21st 2020, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acclimatising to the heat

Originally Posted by Barriej

The fan is on in the flat and the shutters are closed on the side the sun is on.
I'm glad we didn't buy on the front of the block as that's in full sun all day long.
Mine faces South so is in full sun all day, but at this time of year the sun is too high to come in through the windows, and we keep the overhead toldo pulled across on the terrace outside to provide shade, so that helps a lot. In the winter when the sun is lower in the sky, we are glad the sun streams in through the windows to warm the place up.

Glad you arrived safely, put your feet up and have a long cold drink when you've dealt with all those boxes.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only to say a BIG thank you for the comments. I'm thinking of relocating to Spain and my only concern was the heat but now I'm sure I'll be fine there after reading your comments. Thank you once again.

Christine
Old Aug 26th 2020, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Forgotten to say I think it is really kind of you all taking the time to give advise :-) Christine
Old Aug 26th 2020, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Moses2013 where do you live in Catalonia?? Are there a lot of British expats? I'm asking because I'm thinking of moving to Spain, learn already the Spanish language but will not be able to have a conversation in the Spanish language in the next years so would be nice to have some English people around me :-)
Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TicTac111
Hi Moses2013 where do you live in Catalonia?? Are there a lot of British expats? I'm asking because I'm thinking of moving to Spain, learn already the Spanish language but will not be able to have a conversation in the Spanish language in the next years so would be nice to have some English people around me :-)
Costa Brava a few minutes inland from Lloret between Vidreres but for us it's a 2nd home. You'll always find some British but it's more of a mix and there are probably more people from other coutries like Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium etc. Many Spanish who live and work in Barcelona also have weekend homes in the area. Catalan is obviously the main language but everybody speaks Spanish and English is widely spoken.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Acclimatising to the heat

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Mine faces South so is in full sun all day, but at this time of year the sun is too high to come in through the windows, and we keep the overhead toldo pulled across on the terrace outside to provide shade, so that helps a lot. In the winter when the sun is lower in the sky, we are glad the sun streams in through the windows to warm the place up.

Glad you arrived safely, put your feet up and have a long cold drink when you've dealt with all those boxes.
Hi lynn;R hope you are ok ,our finca is the same in the summer toldos out if not windy, and in the summer the sun comes in the room 600mm without the toldos out, but in the winter when the sun is low it fills the rooms and keeps them warm.You have to learn when the sun starts to set put your heating on 1/2 an hour before it sets.Don't you just love spain we do.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid
Hi lynn;R hope you are ok ,our finca is the same in the summer toldos out if not windy, and in the summer the sun comes in the room 600mm without the toldos out, but in the winter when the sun is low it fills the rooms and keeps them warm.You have to learn when the sun starts to set put your heating on 1/2 an hour before it sets.Don't you just love spain we do.
Fine, thanks. The weather down here is just beginning to show signs of cooling down a bit (apart from on Friday!). Minimum nighttime temperatures forecast to be down to 18C from Saturday onwards, which will be nice.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 3:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK 18c at night is considered life threatening! Ours has yet to drop below low 20’s since early June.

We run our bedroom A/C all night set at 24c and that’s fine.

Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TicTac111
https://www.propertyguides.com/spain...e-costa-brava/
By the way, here is an article from a retired British person living in one of the areas. So there are groups around but they seem to be a bit further North.

Keeping busy

Retirement gives us a chance to do all the things we have wanted to do but couldn’t when we were working. Here on the Costa Brava, there are several clubs and associations to help you do just that. The U3A Costa Brava (University of the 3rd Age) is an association run by its own 400+ members. It has groups covering practically every pastime from walking to art, history to bird watching, cycling to mahjong. The only requirements are that you are over 50 and speak English so members are from many countries.

If you enjoy sports, you can get involved in golf, tennis, cycling, hiking, water sports and kayaking and petanca (boules in France). Get to know the local people through the Club International Costa Brava, which aims to bring together expat residents of Costa Brava with Spanish / Catalan neighbours.

In the north of the Costa Brava a group of British and Catalans put on an annual pantomime, so for am-dram enthusiasts this is a chance to shine. There is also a choir of mostly British people based around Begur. The British Society of Catalonia is based in the north of the region and puts on many events for its members.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Moses2013 you are a star that is exactly what I needed sure there I'll meet people Thank you soooooooo much
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:15 am
Just Joined

RobGre is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Valencia. I find August difficult but mainly because I don't want to use the AC as I think it's too expensive. However, going outside during late July/August/early September is uncomfortable. I'm a sweaty mess after 5 mins. I'm sure last year was worse though, I think it was consistently in the 40s whereas this August seemed to only reach mid 30s.

Winter isn't great either as the buildings don't tend to be built with insulation in mind. Thin walls and thin windows. I have a gas heater which is useful and cheap.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Ewany200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im from barcelona, june-september is just way too hot without air conditioning. You get used to it, but honestly i prefer being cold...
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ewany200
Im from barcelona, june-september is just way too hot without air conditioning. You get used to it, but honestly i prefer being cold...
So do we. You can always put on layers following the “onion principal” but with the heat once you are down to your skin there is nothing left to remove. At that stage we go wallowing in the pool but it is so warm that after a time you look like a prune! We love it just now with temps in the 26-30* range. However late yesterday the temp spiked well over 30* in full sun so for the first time for a couple of weeks we had to give the bedroom an hours Aircon before bedtime!