Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A22 tolls - what's new?

A22 tolls - what's new?

Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default A22 tolls - what's new?

We shall shortly be going to Portugal for the first time in a year or so and we'll be staying in Albufeira for 5 days. In the past we have only made airport runs to Faro and paid in advance online. I'm told by friends that there are new toll payment facilities after the bridge at the info centre. However, going online the links to the online pre-payment system I used before don't work now and it doesn't look as if a 5 day prepayment is available either.

What is the best way to pay for this trip (we will also have to make a side-trip to Faro and back from Albufeira during our stay) and which exit point should I choose for payment to Albufeira?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A22 tolls - what's new?

Hi and yes there are paybooths at the border. My neighbour recently told she has registered her car ( es plate) then goes on line to check how much she is owe after using the toll road.

Me ? I have no real idea, if using the road for airport pick up I just pay at the 1st garage you come to. Will be doing that next week to pick up sis and brother in law.

PS passing my door ? time to pop in ? be welcome :-)
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A22 tolls - what's new?

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
We shall shortly be going to Portugal for the first time in a year or so and we'll be staying in Albufeira for 5 days. In the past we have only made airport runs to Faro and paid in advance online. I'm told by friends that there are new toll payment facilities after the bridge at the info centre. However, going online the links to the online pre-payment system I used before don't work now and it doesn't look as if a 5 day prepayment is available either.

What is the best way to pay for this trip (we will also have to make a side-trip to Faro and back from Albufeira during our stay) and which exit point should I choose for payment to Albufeira?
There are 2 easy methods at the border police station. Nearest the motorway is the newest hi- tech system under a canopy shade. You pull up at the payment machine and an APNR camera takes your No plate details. You then put your credit card in the machine and it links your card to the No plate. This lasts a couple of weeks. Every time you pass a toll camara it debits the charge to your credit card.

The second option is to go the other side of the concrete barrier to the bus shelter in which you will find an ATM type machine where you can purchase various types of tickets including one for 5 days. You pay your money and take your choice.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Thank you. Just what I needed to know.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
PS passing my door ? time to pop in ? be welcome :-)
Thanks Val. I have sent you an email.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:27 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Tolls on A22 Update

Today I did my usual trick of going to the garage; I did have a look at what is on offer in the layby just after the bridge, but as a friend was paying, and the sytem wanted their credit card, we decided not to pay 10€ for the one day.

The garage have had their system changed; you buy a plastic card, scratch of a silver foil revealing a number and then send a text to a portuguese number *+35 1922 29 89 89 with
CTTCD *number plate*ten digit number from card.

You then receive a confirmation message; Note - this means you have to have roaming on to send the message (and receive the confirmation)

As the garage was empty, the guy took pity on us and did it all for us. By the time he finished, there were four more people in the queue waiting for exactly the same !!! I should add he spoke good English, so all credit to him

Davexf
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Is this only for foreign registered cars or does it include Portuguese cars (eg car hire) too?
Kath
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
Is this only for foreign registered cars or does it include Portuguese cars (eg car hire) too?
Kath
There used to be a work around for PT PLATES AND I REPORTED THAT ON HERE BUT LATER ATTEMPTS SAID IT WAS NOW GONE AND YOU CANNOT USE THE MACHINES WITH PTOLATED CARS.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Tolls on A22 Update

Today I did my usual trick of going to the garage; I did have a look at what is on offer in the layby just after the bridge, but as a friend was paying, and the sytem wanted their credit card, we decided not to pay 10€ for the one day.

The garage have had their system changed; you buy a plastic card, scratch of a silver foil revealing a number and then send a text to a portuguese number *+35 1922 29 89 89 with
CTTCD *number plate*ten digit number from card.

You then receive a confirmation message; Note - this means you have to have roaming on to send the message (and receive the confirmation)

As the garage was empty, the guy took pity on us and did it all for us. By the time he finished, there were four more people in the queue waiting for exactly the same !!! I should add he spoke good English, so all credit to him

Davexf
Hi Dave,

That is just about the cost of the return trip to Faro from the bridge if you pay at the bus shelter so what did you end up paying with the new method?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish reg car 10 euros for the day for the whole A22.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

In the end we didn't bother with toll roads. The Land Rover Defender doesn't have very much speed advantage on motorways anyway. Monday was such a lovely afternoon and we had the time so we went N125/N270 and did the same on return yesterday. The N270 is a pretty route.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyone read the latest copy of the Portugal News. The figures given in the lead article for the losses being sustained by the operator of the franchise for the A22 tolls are horrendous. Added to that the operator of the maintenance contract for the EN125 is being paid much more under the"shadow tolling" contract for higher use. Plus the condition of the EN125 is deteriorating fast and more people are dying in accidents. A right mess!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:36 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

As virually All the hire cars now have transponders and the cost for them is passed on to the renter many more will be using to A22 as they have already paid for it.
The hire companies will also benefit from their " admin charges " and toll credits not used.
The Toll companies will now get more revenue during the holday season.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EMR
As virually All the hire cars now have transponders and the cost for them is passed on to the renter many more will be using to A22 as they have already paid for it.
The hire companies will also benefit from their " admin charges " and toll credits not used.
The Toll companies will now get more revenue during the holday season.
I've just returned from a trip to Ayamonte and the car company I used, Auto Virgem do not have transponders fitted to their cars. The car hire rep. did not have a date if or when they will fit these devices.

By the way, I do agree about the "admin charges". I have no intention of travelling along the toll sections of the A22 as my own wee protest at the complete mess they have made regarding the collection of the tolls. As I understand though, the maximum charge for the transponder rental BEFORE any toll costs will be 15 euros per hire. I will actively seek out rental companies that will not insist on charging for transponder rental. I suspect it will get more and more difficult as time goes on.