Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

6months UK 6months Spain

6months UK 6months Spain

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Re: 6months UK 6months Spain

mmm as a "perpetual traveler" I would suggest that if my income is location independent and i am lucky that my income doesnt originate in any one country.. as in.. its not subject to anyone's tax rules..
As long as i dont break the 183 day rule in Spain.. Spain does not have any jurisdiction over my income, neither does the UK or any other country i "visit as a tourist"

It is a tax loop hole that isnt available to everyone and takes a very specific structure to achieve.. but it is very much possible an legal
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Deepsix
You most be tax resident somewhere especially in EU/EEA

The confusion of the 183 day rule has bee exasperated by many as the main rule - yes it will for many ex pats but NOT all

There are many tests as previously stated to determine your tax residency and tax obligations the 183 day rule is only one of them and NOT definitive

Many people commute between Spain & UK for work have interests in both countries and are dual residents non fiscal tax resident in one and tax resident in the other despite number of days (or even nights as some state i.e. Belgium) spent in either

As I understand it this applies to many countries (EU/EEA or not) that have bi lateral tax agreements

but apart from tax havens (which I have no idea how they work - so a bit of a guess) you must be tax resident somewhere and you cannot "float" around different countries thinking you avoid tax due by skipping the 183 day rule as the other tests will determine your tax residency
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst listening to the popping sounds made as those pontificating about the tax rules circle their arseholes at an ever increasing speed before eventually disappearing up them, do what Dave said. Costa de la Luz, every time. Much better vibe the the Sol, what with the dense (in every sense of the word) population of British pikeys it has, 'specially on those sites. Added bonus, when a qualified advisor tells you about residency (fiscal and otherwise) you have the Portugal border nearby.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:32 am
Just Joined

GlennLoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, you lot are in the know!!! Maybe I should do 5 months UK 5 months Spain and 2 months in Portugal? My government pension will taxed at source will that make a difference?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:28 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlennLoz
Wow, you lot are in the know!!! Maybe I should do 5 months UK 5 months Spain and 2 months in Portugal? My government pension will taxed at source will that make a difference?
Maybe that would work but you still have to have a "main residence" somewhere. As far as the authorities are concerned anyway (I think).
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should do 5 months UK 5 months Spain and 2 months in Portugal?
The problem is that the so-called "183-day rule" is only one test of an individual's tax residency. Also, it is not applied in all countries.

The UK introduced in recent years a "Statutory Residence Test" to determine if an individual is tax resident or not. You can find out more about this test in the pdf file on the following page:

UK Statutory Residence Test

In Spain, the concept of "deemed tax residency" applies. This means that even if someone stays for less than 183 days, if the Spanish tax authorities deem the individual to have their "main base or centre of activities or economic interests" in Spain, they will be classed as tax resident. Please see the following page:

http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/uk/taxsu...dual-Residence

In Portugal, even if someone stays for less than 183 days, if they maintain an "habitual residence" in the country, they will be deemed to be a tax resident. Please see the following page:

Portugal - Residence of individuals

In summary, it's possible (though unlikely) you could become tax resident in all three countries. More likely is that you will remain tax resident in the UK and perhaps one of the other two. You can determine your exact status from reviewing the pages in the links.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

1st post.

wife and I have a new static caravan in UK where we go very weekend. We planning for our retirement which is still a few years away and looking ahead with a view selling our home in the UK, living in the caravan May to September then buying a property in Southern Spain for the Winter months, renting it out in the summer.

Does anyone else do this? Will we be free from Poll Tax etc.
We are very active/sociable - running/walking/drinking etc and been looking on the web where best to relocate - Andulucia seems the favourite up to now but it seems such a vast area. I don't fancy Marbella, nothing too touristy but on the coast with a small expat community.

Thanks
GlennLoz
No that is a fib, you are not "sociable" You avoid contribution to society yet will expect others to carry you.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:50 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I believe that Portugal has a better tax situation for ex-pats; second hand knowledge but I was told that they weren't worried about taxing your pensions. You need to check it's not an urban myth though

Davexf
Old May 7th 2016, 12:42 am
Just Joined

AlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting comments about interpretation of the 183-day rule.

I retain a home in UK but live in Spain for about 170 days a year (with a
spreadsheet to monitor that). All my income is to my UK accounts and
funding of my life in Spain is by transfer from Sterling to Euros - partly
to my Spanish bank account and partly direct to Spanish concerns to
meet costs. I am on the local empadronamiento as my rental contract
is for the full year, with annual renewal and I have a permanent, green
NIE. My contention is that my tax residency is in UK and that worldwide
income should be of no concern to the Spanish authorities (as they will
benefit from my import of sterling resource to meet local expenses).

Is there any way in which I could be deemed tax resident in Spain?
Old May 7th 2016, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR555
I retain a home in UK...
A few questions to help determine the answer:
  • You say you retain a home in the UK, but do you live in it? Where do you spend the time you are not in Spain?
  • Do you work? If so, where do you work? From which country do you derive your income?
  • Are you married? If so, where does your wife (and any dependent children) live?
Old May 7th 2016, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
A few questions to help determine the answer:
  • You say you retain a home in the UK, but do you live in it? Where do you spend the time you are not in Spain?
  • Do you work? If so, where do you work? From which country do you derive your income?
  • Are you married? If so, where does your wife (and any dependent children) live?
DON'T TELL HIM PIKE !!!!
Old May 7th 2016, 9:07 am
Just Joined

AlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR555 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I live in my (owned) house in UK for seven months a year.
I am unemployed - all my income derives from UK.
I am not married.
Old May 7th 2016, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Who is PIKE - a character from Dad's Army??
Old May 7th 2016, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR555
Interesting comments about interpretation of the 183-day rule.

I retain a home in UK but live in Spain for about 170 days a year (with a
spreadsheet to monitor that). All my income is to my UK accounts and
funding of my life in Spain is by transfer from Sterling to Euros - partly
to my Spanish bank account and partly direct to Spanish concerns to
meet costs. I am on the local empadronamiento as my rental contract
is for the full year, with annual renewal and I have a permanent, green
NIE. My contention is that my tax residency is in UK and that worldwide
income should be of no concern to the Spanish authorities (as they will
benefit from my import of sterling resource to meet local expenses).

Is there any way in which I could be deemed tax resident in Spain.

I would keep a record of your visits to Spain in a more tangible way than a spreadsheet - eg retain tickets and boarding passes with your entry and exit dates - if your 170 days are spread throughout the year. Having a 12 month rental agreement may be taken by the Spanish taxman of being evidence of a centre of economic interest and you may have to prove differently at some time - or maybe not.

Last edited by Fred James; May 7th 2016 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Corrected quote
Old May 7th 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

1st post.

wife and I have a new static caravan in UK where we go very weekend. We planning for our retirement which is still a few years away and looking ahead with a view selling our home in the UK, living in the caravan May to September then buying a property in Southern Spain for the Winter months, renting it out in the summer.

Does anyone else do this? Will we be free from Poll Tax etc.
We are very active/sociable - running/walking/drinking etc and been looking on the web where best to relocate - Andulucia seems the favourite up to now but it seems such a vast area. I don't fancy Marbella, nothing too touristy but on the coast with a small expat community.

Thanks
GlennLoz
An important point IMO. You may be active NOW, but situations don't last forever. Assume that you both will get less active as you get older and may require more medical access, therefore think how you will deal with this here in Spain as you both age.
Not trying to be negative......honest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.