Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

Old Jan 8th 2018, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

Whereabouts in Devon are you? I'm in Exeter.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:57 am
Just Joined

systematic1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FranE
Whereabouts in Devon are you? I'm in Exeter.
Thanks again FranE - most helpful!!! . I'm near Ivybridge. I think you're correct that it's a 'notification of the fine subject'. I can't really afford to get a Spanish lawyer involved - though I'm not really sure what the cost of this would be. I'm looking now for someone to properly translate - though the only upshot of this is that my own spanish has improved dramatically! mostly words I hope never to use again mind!

Last edited by systematic1; Jan 9th 2018 at 8:02 am.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

I really think that your hire car was originally 'tabbed' with a fixed penalty notice that disappeared for one reason or another. The duplicate was filed, and when the original wasn't paid or contested, they issued the proceedings you have there. Honestly, there's no way will they take the time and expense to process that offence every time in the way that reflects the amount of paper, time and trouble they have gone to with you. Trouble is, you are where you are now. Only way is get it translated, guessing otherwise and mis interpreting one small piece won't help.Plymouth Uni? OR contact the sender Agency by e mail and ask for a translation so you can have a fair disclosure which you are entitled to. Easy to tell if its a finding of guilt in absence or a notice of intended prosecution, check the Court date.(If in the past or in the future respectively) What a pain.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Plymouth University has a Language Café. Someone there might be able to put you on to someone. Or someone on the Spanish faculty? Best of luck.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Immediately inform your card company the number has been compromised and they will issue a new one with a different number, otherwise the fine may be collected via the car rental company who hold your number.
Then contest it.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by systematic1
Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this....

During a surfing holiday in Lanzarote back in may I parked at a beach within the National Park. It's a popular place, beach goers park along either side of a narrow road, and we did the same. Yesterday I received a 17 page dossier (in Spanish) accusing me of raping the environment.

Its from Guardia Civil, Medioambiente. They produced photo's of my hire car parked with 2 wheels on the sand. This constitutes an infingement of their environmental laws and carries a fine of between 600 & 6000 euros, my fine being at the former end of the scale.

If this was in the UK I'd know how to fight it, there was zero signage for example. But it's not in the Uk.

So should I.....Pay up (20% reduction), contest (losing 20% reduction and probably requiring a lawyer and a trip to lanzarote) or ingnore and never set foot on Spanish soil again????

From what I can translate my letter contains: an initial charge from Guardia Civil to the hire company, a document naming me as the driver from the hire company, and minutes from court proceedings decreeing that I am liable.

It's definitely genuine before anyone suggests otherwise, but scams are harder to ignore when they are run by the government....

Any experts on Spanish law out there?!?!?!
Quick Reply Thanks 0
Hi, we live in Lanzarote and interested to know exactly where you were ?
Old Mar 31st 2018, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I believe to be valid and enforceable notifications of cross border fines/penalties etc. MUST be written in the language of the recipients home country.

Cancelling a card to prevent additional money being taken is often suggested but won't work.

If a contracts T&C's allow for the charging of fees or fines to the card used for it then cancelling it will not prevent that as they will be deemed part of the transaction as a whole and the card issuer will be bound to honour them.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 4:20 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Has the eu implemented its scheme to sell fines between counties yet? I thought the chasing was then by your friendly local debt collectors plus their fees of course.