Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:08 am
Just Joined

systematic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this....

During a surfing holiday in Lanzarote back in may I parked at a beach within the National Park. It's a popular place, beach goers park along either side of a narrow road, and we did the same. Yesterday I received a 17 page dossier (in Spanish) accusing me of raping the environment.

Its from Guardia Civil, Medioambiente. They produced photo's of my hire car parked with 2 wheels on the sand. This constitutes an infingement of their environmental laws and carries a fine of between 600 & 6000 euros, my fine being at the former end of the scale.

If this was in the UK I'd know how to fight it, there was zero signage for example. But it's not in the Uk.

So should I.....Pay up (20% reduction), contest (losing 20% reduction and probably requiring a lawyer and a trip to lanzarote) or ingnore and never set foot on Spanish soil again????

From what I can translate my letter contains: an initial charge from Guardia Civil to the hire company, a document naming me as the driver from the hire company, and minutes from court proceedings decreeing that I am liable.

It's definitely genuine before anyone suggests otherwise, but scams are harder to ignore when they are run by the government....

Any experts on Spanish law out there?!?!?!
Quick Reply Thanks 0
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:10 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 600 Euro fine in lanzarote!!! anyone able to advise??

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would pay up :-)
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
+1

see this thread for possible problems.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...-spain-907355/
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch! 600 euros for parking where there aren't any signs saying you can't? 'Raping the environment'?

What a rip off But I'd pay it, just in case I wanted/needed to travel to Spain in the future.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

As it would cost you more than the discounted fine to defend it even if you win, flights, fees, legal fees etc. , its either pay up now or ignore it. Depends on your attitude and if you plan to visit again. Pay it. Are you sure there wasn't a fixed penalty ticket (with a lesser fine) on the car when you got back to it? Seems a bit heavy to proceed in your absence if there hasn't been some form of prior notice. Anyway, its done, I would pay it with the discount.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt the great Avocado will be along with some Sage advice soon, good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
No doubt the great Avocado will be along with some Sage advice soon, good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Could not agree more and do so quickly to get the discount. We had a similar experience on a slip road to a Costa del Sol beach on a Sunday afternoon. Local police systematically worked their way along a line of cars ,of which we were one, slapping €200,- parking tickets on every one. Grit your teeth and get it done.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Great! thanks to everyone for their responses, it seems consensus is unanimous.

Guess i'll pay up, but I won't be going back to Lanzarote in a hurry.

Before we left that day we filled to boot of the car with rubbish collected from the beach. We do this when and wherever we can. To then be saddled with a huge, unwarrented and disproportionate fine, for placing two wheels on glass and plastic ladened strip of sand....it makes me a little angry.

My only (and completely unlikely) hope is that the money I will now send them goes toward actually looking after the national park, because from what I saw they are doing a piss poor job as things stand.

Thanks again to all posters.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

previous post nearly two hours ago...been trying to pay it ever since...still don't know how.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't leave the rubbish in the boot of the hired car did you?
Old Jan 5th 2018, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ned flanders
You didn't leave the rubbish in the boot of the hired car did you?
no. I'd expect a 600 euro fine for that.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, for goodness sake Man up and pay the fine!! We've just had a long thread about a similar story.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 6:35 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

No sign, doesn't mean you have any right to park on the grass / pavement / spaces marked for disabled / wild camp etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.