Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

6-12 month holiday in Spain - Questions

6-12 month holiday in Spain - Questions

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

rashby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6-12 month holiday in Spain - Questions

I am thinking about an extended holiday in Spain next year, something in the region of 6-12 months long and then returning to the UK (I am a full UK citizen). I don’t intend to work during this time and I would be using my savings for rent, food, utilities etc. I basically just intend to take some time off, learn the language and maybe do some motorcycle touring etc. I would probably rent a villa or finca somewhere central on an 11 month lease, but I havent decided for sure yet.

I do have a few questions though:

1) Would I need to register with Spanish authorities (NIE and Residencias etc), or would I just treat it like I was on a long holiday as I have no intention of working during this period of time?

2) I was intending on taking a motorcycle out there to do some touring, would I need to re-register it as Spanish if my stay is less than 1 year? Obviously it would be MOT’d, insured etc in the UK during the stay to make it legal.

3) Similar to question 2, would my UK license need to be changed to a Spanish license, or can I use my UK license if I stay less than a year over there?

4) Can anyone foresee any issues I may come across?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6-12 month holiday in Spain - Questions

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Technicaly after 90 days you should sign on the foreigners register which basically means compying with residency requirements, proving certain amount in a Spanish bank, address and proof of medical cover. From what I see many do not bother with this requireement unless intending staying on a more permanent basis. Again technically after 183 days in Spain you also become tax resident! Of course that is 183 days in a tax year so if you started yor trip July you could legally stay 12 months as first 183 days would be in 1 tax year and the next 183 in the folowing tax year. Of course if it is just a long holiday then it is realy down to you what you comply with but those are the rules. As for the bike again it should be registered on Spanish plates at the 6 month point. Longest I believe you can use a UK registered vehicle in Spain is 6 months in a year. You would also I believe need some travel insurance as I doubt the EHIC would cover you for 12 months (some will say only 3 ) but I checked with the EHIC people on line and they say it is not 3 months. If you are on facebook there is a EHIC FB page you can message them and ask them how you would stand as only a long holiday?
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Even with the EHIC you would still need comprehensive health insurance
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 6-12 month holiday in Spain - Questions

Originally Posted by rashby
I am thinking about an extended holiday in Spain next year, something in the region of 6-12 months long and then returning to the UK (I am a full UK citizen). I don’t intend to work during this time and I would be using my savings for rent, food, utilities etc. I basically just intend to take some time off, learn the language and maybe do some motorcycle touring etc. I would probably rent a villa or finca somewhere central on an 11 month lease, but I havent decided for sure yet.

I do have a few questions though:

1) Would I need to register with Spanish authorities (NIE and Residencias etc), or would I just treat it like I was on a long holiday as I have no intention of working during this period of time?

2) I was intending on taking a motorcycle out there to do some touring, would I need to re-register it as Spanish if my stay is less than 1 year? Obviously it would be MOT’d, insured etc in the UK during the stay to make it legal.

3) Similar to question 2, would my UK license need to be changed to a Spanish license, or can I use my UK license if I stay less than a year over there?

4) Can anyone foresee any issues I may come across?

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome to the forum..As Bobd has explained in his reply the magic times are 90 days and 183 days. Dont be put off though. Good luck.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 5:25 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

1. You ought to register at town hall, but many don't. It is easy and costs nothing, but if I were you I would not bother.
2. I have done that. Make sure your MOT, TAX and insurance is valid until the date on which you intend to return to UK. Obviously this would need to be less than 12 months. Take care, most insurer's limit duration to 30 days and some TP&T only, but often will extend cover on request - for a fee
3. You do not need to exchange your license.
4. Make sure you keep all your documents and passport on you whilst riding your M/C. There is an instant fine and your vehicle may be impounded.
5. Enjoy your visit.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said you should register as resident and for tax and change your bike to Spanish plates but the point is who's going to know were you are and for how long?

I would just mot the bike before you leave the UK, insurance for UK registered vehicles with effectively a years green card can be cheaper in Spain than the UK, just google expat insurance in Spain and lot's of repeatable broker's can be found, having been round Spain many times on a bike you will love it, its so diverse with fantastic roads and the Spanish love there bikes as do the Portuguese, if your making your way through France keep an eye on the bike, had 2 case's of people cutting the chains securing the bike in the night, both times the noise woke me up and I managed to stop the culprits, sure it must happen in Spain an Portugal as well but i never had any problems, enjoy!